Proposal: ROR talk - pick which deal you prefer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I'm sure the Penguins traded their best winger and only winger prospect despite lacking forward depth and felt the need to share that with a random HFBoards poster and no one else :thumbu:

Last edited:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Hard to imagine Neal and Bennett both getting moved. I can see maybe one going. Either Neal straight across for a different type of winger or a package of players or Bennett going as part of a package to land a top line winger for Sid. Like I said, I just have a hard time seeing a scenario where both get traded. Although this team needs a shakeup and for the right return I wouldn't rule anything out.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Like I said, it would be stupid to trade Neal unless he demanded it... you do not make holes in positions of need and really your best return would likely at best be a lateral move. Plus Rossi hates him, so you have that going for him too....

Klifton

May 30, 2014
Wahoo, Nebraska
Careful Zero, keep talking like that, and you will end up being Rossi's "anonymous source familiar with the negotiations." I am fairly certain he gets his sources from sites like this anyway. :sarcasm:

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
And Neals not even being traded for performance

Your sister tell you this?

Wait ... that sounded wrong ...

Aren't you the poster who said your sister hangs out with Neal sometimes? Is this where you're getting your info?

Klifton

May 30, 2014
Wahoo, Nebraska
Would be hilarious if Neal gets traded soon though.

Well, I think JR trades someone significant soon. And I don't see it being Letang. I think, with how he compares to the other RWs available, there are going to be a lot of really good offers for him. I think, given the apparent need for change, he may be moved simply due to the fact he doesn't have a NTC. He is the one guy, besides Sid or Geno, that can net the "Big Time" offers. Letang could too, but Neal is the easiest to move because Letang's NTC kicks in in 10 days. That being said, if Letang isn't traded before July 1st, then Neal will likely be dealt.

Chili Goal

Professor of Goonism
May 27, 2009
Well, I think JR trades someone significant soon. And I don't see it being Letang. I think, with how he compares to the other RWs available, there are going to be a lot of really good offers for him. I think, given the apparent need for change, he may be moved simply due to the fact he doesn't have a NTC. He is the one guy, besides Sid or Geno, that can net the "Big Time" offers. Letang could too, but Neal is the easiest to move because Letang's NTC kicks in in 10 days. That being said, if Letang isn't traded before July 1st, then Neal will likely be dealt.

as satisfying as it would be to see real change in this roster, after the way the coaching search has been handled I'm now in the camp of wanting GMJR to tinker as little as possible.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Out of all of the guys realistically available in the NHL, ROR is damn near the top of my list. There's really no big negative to acquiring the guy, and he'd instantly be the best player on this team not named Sid or Geno. He's great in all scenarios, young enough to be around for as long as Sid and Geno are, has the ability to score 35+ on Sid's wing while being effective in all three zones. The asking price would be high, but it'd be worth it, in my opinion.

Klifton

May 30, 2014
Wahoo, Nebraska
Out of all of the guys realistically available in the NHL, ROR is damn near the top of my list. There's really no big negative to acquiring the guy, and he'd instantly be the best player on this team not named Sid or Geno. He's great in all scenarios, young enough to be around for as long as Sid and Geno are, has the ability to score 35+ on Sid's wing while being effective in all three zones. The asking price would be high, but it'd be worth it, in my opinion.

Yes, he would be great on this team. But like I said, the only way this works is if we can trade for his rights, or get the Avs to sign and then trade him to us. We can't get him through FA unless we get our 2015 3rd round pick back from Florida. The Avs would be insane to trade his rights unless they get something better than they would get from an offer sheet. As good as he would be in Pittsburgh, it would be too cost prohibitive. Sadly, there likely is no trade to be made here.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Can people stop with the Callahan BS. We don't need more playoffs chokers . The guy is invisible during the playoffs.

It's amusing to me that so many people are willing to give Chris Stewart endless chances to stop being an underachieving, inconsistent player who gets bounced from team to team, but no one is willing to give Callahan even a second chance with a change of scenery. Despite Callahan having many traits we need and more character than Stewart ever had. Granted Stewart would probably be a little cheaper but my point stands. People are pretty selective with their logic when it comes to their pet players they want to acquire every summer, be it Stewart, Kulemin or whoever.

Callahan would make this team deeper and tougher to play against and at a bare minmum could make our third line pretty lethal if he and Sid weren't doing well in the playoffs (which I believe they would).

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
The issue with Callahan is he wants a ginormous contract. This isn't a guy looking for Kunitz or Dupuis money.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
The issue with Callahan is he wants a ginormous contract. This isn't a guy looking for Kunitz or Dupuis money.

I don't want to go too much further with this, even though the ROR idea itself really has no legs at all, but we don't really know WHAT Callahan wants or what type of deal he might accept here vs. TB. I mean he won't be cheap and it's not like I personally believe he's the only solution or that we should pay out the nose, but we ought to talk to him and see what he's looking for.

enviSAGE

waitin on the good times
Aug 10, 2011
Id rather Despres+Sutter+1st for Kesler (yes still) then Neal+Despres tor ROR. Though I'd do both.

Only trading Maatta for a Drouin level prospect. Certainly not ROR, more like Landeskog. Maatta will be solid.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Id rather Despres+Sutter+1st for Kesler (yes still) then Neal+Despres tor ROR. Though I'd do both. .

THey're both big overpayments. You are undervauling our players in a big way. At a minimum there would have to be a young player or pick coming back to Pittsburgh in the first deal. Kassian or a 2nd maybe. Neal + Despres for ROR is just loony. Neal for ROR straight up would be more than fair and a decent hockey trade. Some would argue it's still an overpayment in terms of offensive production. You're talking about a guy who has yet to score 30G in the NHL, whatever other good attributes he may have like two-way skills.

Klifton

May 30, 2014
Wahoo, Nebraska
I suggested this earlier, but it was missed due to, other as yet unsubstantiated news about Neal. What about Neal + Letang for rights to ROR + E Johnson. This is assuming ROR wants more than the Avs are willing to pay him. Pens drop a couple million in cap, and get a little more responsible defensively. Avs offload a player they can't reach a deal with, and they get a replacement plus one of the best PMDs in the league.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I suggested this earlier, but it was missed due to, other as yet unsubstantiated news about Neal. What about Neal + Letang for rights to ROR + E Johnson.

:facepalm:

Because Erik Johnson is really going to improve an area of weakness for us (sarcasm -- not an area of weakness and he's not good enough to improve our D)... we should give CO a recent Norris Candidate in the deal? And Neal... who consistently outproduces ROR... for ROR's ... rights? So this is essentially: Letang for Johnson, Neal for ROR's rights. Brilliant. Are we rebuilding now?

This thread is rapidly entering lock territory. Seriously. We're getting into utter nonsense at this point.

Klifton

May 30, 2014
Wahoo, Nebraska
:facepalm:

Because Erik Johnson is really going to improve an area of weakness for us (sarcasm)... we should give CO a recent Norris Candidate in the deal? And Neal... who consistently outproduces ROR... for ROR's ... rights?

This thread is rapidly entering lock territory. Seriously. We're getting into utter nonsense at this point.

I think ROR could produce well on this team. Maybe he wouldn't score as many goals, but its his overall skill set that is the difference. As far as Johnson, I know he is a step down offensively from Letang, but he is more responsible in his own zone. If JR's goal is to get more responsible defensively, then this is a decent deal. Maybe there needs to be more assets coming our way, but its not that crazy.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
The point is, you don't give away the two best assets in the deal, for a CHANCE to sign ROR. He's either signed to a deal we like ahead of time and we make the move (and yes it IS crazy -- Colorado would definitely need to add more to that deal, a very good prospect at a minimum, a solid F would be better), or it's not even worth talking about.

As for Johnson, he's not in Letang's category in any respect. Put Letang under a better coach and he'll be better than Johnson in every category including "in his own zone", every season, all season long. This idea that because Letang had some struggles under Bylsma's BS playoff gameplan and "we're not a skill team" system in teh regular season, that he's somehow not a Top 10 D in this league going forward, so we can trade him for guys like Erik Johnson who never came close to reaching their potential... is bat-**** crazy.

Not to mention, we're LOADED with skilled young D who skate well and are ready to make the jump each of the next 2 or 3 years, so any D gaps in our current roster... probably doesn't need to be filled by a team with one of the more suspect defenses in the league. If we're trading with Colorado, offense is what we want and it's all we want. You want a fair deal for Neal + Letang, start with two forwards who immediately make our Top 9 better and both of whom can score. ;)

Klifton

May 30, 2014
Wahoo, Nebraska
The point is, you don't give away the two best assets in the deal, for a CHANCE to sign ROR. He's either signed to a deal we like ahead of time and we make the move (and yes it IS crazy -- Colorado would definitely need to add more to that deal, a very good prospect at a minimum), or it's not even worth talking about.

As for Johnson, he's not in Letang's category in any respect. Put Letang under a better coach and he'll be better than Johnson in every category including "in his own zone", every season, all season long. This idea that because Letang had some struggles under Bylsma's BS playoff gameplan and "we're not a skill team" system in teh regular season, that he's somehow not a Top 10 D in this league going forward, so we can trade him for guys like Erik Johnson who never came close to reaching their potential... is bat-**** crazy.

Not to mention, we're LOADED with skilled young D who skate well and are ready to make the jump each of the next 2 or 3 years, so any D gaps in our current roster... probably doesn't need to be filled by a team with one of the more suspect defenses in the league. ;)

Eh, it was just a thought. I think ROR would sign, and I guess I think a little more of Johnson than you do. Plus, even if he doesn't re-sign, he is still a RFA with high compensation. Oh well, not exactly my best work here. Though I do think that the majority of the talent difference exists almost entirely with Letang/Johnson. I would rather have ROR on this roster than Neal. He plays a more complete game. Of course, cap would be a concern though, but there are ways to mitigate that. I will say that the chance of a new coach fixing Letang's issues is less than the chance of resigning ROR. But that is my opinion, its free, and you get what you pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad