Post-Game Talk: Rookie Tournament: Leafs vs. Pens -Sept. 7- 7:00 p.m. || Combined with GDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters 35m
Leafs' Matt Finn sustained a shoulder stinger in 1st period & left game; status for tomorrow v Sens in doubt

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Some nice words after the game.

Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters 27m
Spott called 1st-period fights by Broll, Devane the 'turning point'; team had been outshot 7-0 & trailed 1-0 when gloves dropped

Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters 26m
Marlies coach Spott said d-man Stuart Percy was likely Toronto's best player tonight; 'he played like a 1st-round pick'

Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters 25m
Spott on Brad Ross: 'He may have had his best game in a long time; speaking w/ management they were really pleased'

Management was pleased. Hmmmmmmmm......

Also didn't even realise Finn got injured.

Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters 36m
Leafs' Matt Finn sustained a shoulder stinger in 1st period & left game; status for tomorrow v Sens in doubt

Was definitely a very physical game, were bound to see an injury the way those rookies were going.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
yep, Percy is a good one. does everything well.

Ross has been a pleasant surprise. I try hard not to stay totally pissed off at Eakins for burying all our kids last year, but it's not easy.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Yuen was a standout from this game. Really made a strong case to get signed and I'm certain he'll get another chance tomorrow.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
yep, Percy is a good one. does everything well.

Ross has been a pleasant surprise. I try hard not to stay totally pissed off at Eakins for burying all our kids last year, but it's not easy.

i know the feeling..

personally, i really liked Eakins as a coach, but last year, that just... (no words)

ReimTime

Bozakian Bond
Mar 14, 2011
Just got back from the game. Got my jersey signed by the whole team, awesome.

Yuen really stood out for me. He's making a really strong case to get signed; just straight up solid, with some nice hits. Glad to see Ross get the S/O winner, you could see that he was getting frustrated, making chances but unable to finish. Great game.

Rielly's got some fangirls too haha in the autograph line.

Raine to Reilly: Welcome to hollywood

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
I was at the game.

Observations:

-Granberg looked "meh" at best
-Percy was very great, maybe the smartest player on the ice
-Brad Ross could play in the NHL this year, as a Komarov; however, there is further upside to him I believe
-Biggs shields the puck extremely well
-I really like the Rupert kids
-Yuen had a very strong game

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I'm certain that Percy will have a long NHL career. I have no doubts about this (barring injury or whatever).

Gauthier is a much better player than I thought he was. I still wouldn't have picked him but it was nice to see him create some offensive plays out of nothing. There's definitely more upside there.

I've always been a big fan of Ross, so I'm not surprised to see him do well. I loved Maata's game too. He'll be a solid player.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
i know the feeling..

personally, i really liked Eakins as a coach, but last year, that just... (no words)

eakins had great qualities like creating a disciplined culture, great team defense and crafted a winning record. but let's not pretend he was doing something other than to pad his record with his contract up. he was a me first guy, low risk guy.

it didn't make sense the d'amigo, who was killing it in the playoffs was again demoted to 3rd line, with ross and mcgregg around there, when they actually played.

i believe his low risk approach and lack of ability to adjust will be exposed on edmonton at the nhl level when they end up having a similar record as last year. i think team defense will improve, but team offense should decrease with the exception of hall and rnh.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Just good finished watching the third and OT

Thoughts

- Yuen is making a case for a contract.
- Granberg is more active then it thought he would be, but you can tell he is adjusting to the smaller ice.
- Ross is showing why he was a relatively high pick. Ive been somewhat disappointed with him over the past year but tonight he played exceptionally well
- Biggs played solid

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Percy is just money back there. Very smart. Player of the game for me.

Ross channelling his inner Tucker tonight, lots of hits, good plays and a nice goal in SO.

Herzog was very good. Smart player, sees the game well, has size and speed, had less ice time later in game but I thought he showed mature instincts. Herzogian snipe too.

Brown needs to add some mass, he will be very good if he does that.

Yuen was impressive, as was Raine again.

Rupert's are hard workin fellas.

Biggs was meh for me...showed speed and some toughness but lacked finish.

Nobody really stood out as clear cut NHL ready to me, they could all use more development. No rush.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
This game was interesting to watch. Kind of bugged me how the team seemed to be getting 'outpossessed' like the big club, but oh well, a lot of inexperienced kids and Pittsburgh's squad had many more older guys than the Leafs.

I think people should temper their expectations with Granberg right now, he's looked a bit shaky thus far, he will definitely need time to adjust.

Brad Ross is awesome and I think he's going to be a solid 3rd line pest, a more offensive Komarov and more in your face.

Tyler Biggs has been a surprise for me thus far. I've been really impressed him, he looks really strong and aggressive out there, he's been handling the puck well and making nifty offensive plays, and he looks much, much faster now, there's been a few times so far in the tournament where he's completely outmuscled guys and blown by them. Looking forward to watching him with the Marlies, thinking I'm going to develop a mancrush on this guy if he continues to play like that.

Percy was also solid, and that Yuen kid looked good too.

I was really digging that Ross-Verhaeghe-Herzog line. And I look forward to Devane and Broll replacing Orr and McLaren and anchoring our 4th line in a few years haha.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Just watched the replay on Leafs TV

Points and observations

- Sign Yuen up
- Granberg will need time
- Herzog, Big boy with skill, Very raw though
- Gibson was good, Handles the puck very well
- Verhaeghe buzzed around created some chances
- Leo who? Ross is boss. Hits everything
- Crescenzi played the Jay McClement role, Did well in it, Won pretty much every face off
- Gauthier showed more than last game

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Biggs is fast, really fast now, he's also starting to get more confident with his puck handling.

Ross just flies and hits anything that moves, love his game so far.

C.Brown looked great this game, tonnes of hustle.

Percy is incredibly smart and plays a reliable game.

Yuen was fantastic, I hope we sign him, great skater and physical.

Crescenzi is getting better every game.

I agree with each of these assessments. I was really impressed with the poise shown by Percy and Yuen. Ross is going to be fun to watch with the Marlies.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
First time watching Grandberg play...I was impressed. Percy also had a good game. Good passing/positioning

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Was Rielly pretty much just Rielly tonight, hence why people aren't talking about him? Or was he actually just not noticeable..?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Jon Abbott seems to be a likeable guy, but man does he try to hard when interviewing. Just ask the damn question directly, quit trying to awkwardly butter it up and make it sound articulate.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
Off the top of my head...

Mckegg 39
Leivo 32
Ross 48
Gauthier 54
Brown 78
biggs 47
Carrick 53
Broll 46
Crescenzi 58