GDT: Rookie Tournament in London (9/5 vs. Ottawa, 2 p.m.)

penguins2946*

One word of advice, if you have never played goalie before, don't critique a goalie's style of play. Hartzell NEEDS to be a butterfly goalie. He has the tools and size to one day become a legit butterfly goalie. If you make him turn into a hybrid, it will only hurt. That is exactly what happened to Fleury. He was an elite butterfly goalie, then the Pens changed him into a hybrid mess.

After the prospect camp in 2012, I talked to Matt Murray about what the Pens do to their goalies (we both work with goalie coach Sean Moloney, and just happened to be scheduled together). He talked about the stupid things that Meloche and the Pens tried to make him do. Basically, long story short is that Meloche tries to make goalies play like Brodeur, because that is how he played. Other than Brodeur, those goalies don't succeed in today's NHL anymore.

In today's NHL, there are 2 successful types of goalies (both of which are branches of butterfly goalies), blocking goalies like Lundqvist and reacting goalies like Quick. The most successful goalies play to their strengths. Fleury had the skills to be an elite reacting goalie, but the Pens decided it would be better for him to be a blocking goalie, which really hurt any chances of him becoming an elite goalie. If the Pens would have focused on improving his strengths from the very start, instead of making him become a more well-rounded goalie, he would be much more successful today.

The Pens need to shape Hartzell into a style similar to Rinne's, not change him into a goalie with Brodeur's style. Changing him into a hybrid between a standup and a butterfly goalie would be incredibly stupid. That would ruin him.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I really don't like that the Pens gave these guys owned numbers. IMO, it's disrespectful to give some rookie an established Pen's number. Not to mention that they'll all have to change numbers once the real camp starts. Why change everyone's number for a 3 game tournament?

Just looking at the roster:
D'Agostino has Duper's #9
Pouliot has Martin's #7
Roupp has Nisky's #2
Samuelsson has Engo's #5
Seymour has Scud's #4
Kuhnhackl has Kuni's #14
Menga had BB's #19
Rankin has DJ's #17
Rowney had Adam's #27
Sylvester has Sutter's #16
Jarry had MAF's #29

I doubt they would allow someone to choose 87 or 71 so why let them wear 29 or 14?

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
Weren't they just numbering them from #2-#31? I doubt that anyone has put any thought into this...

Here it sure looks that way.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
cause they're obviously temporary numbers? i don't think anyone on the team is gonna be offended that their number was used in a rookie tournament

I'm sure that there are some guys who aren't very pleased. I wouldn't be very happy if I was MAF and I saw they gave the shiny new goalie my number.

And what's the point of temporary numbers? They're gonna have to change all those nameplates once pre-season starts. Seems like a wast of time.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm sure that there are some guys who aren't very pleased. I wouldn't be very happy if I was MAF and I saw they gave the shiny new goalie my number.

And what's the point of temporary numbers? They're gonna have to change all those nameplates once pre-season starts. Seems like a wast of time.

there is no way anybody on our team cares about the numbers in this rookie tournament.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I can't find any reports on this game on Hawk's sites - if you don't mind me asking, who scored for the Hawks and is there any Hawks player who has stood out?

Mark McNeil with a shorty.
Joe Gleason with a slapper
Bryan Frese with the 3rd.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
I can't find any reports on this game on Hawk's sites - if you don't mind me asking, who scored for the Hawks and is there any Hawks player who has stood out?

i didn't watch the game, just followed some of it on twitter but here's what was reported (i'll include what i saw mentioned about both sides):

here was the scoring for Chicago:
Mark McNeill with a SHG
Joe Gleason slapper
Byron Froese with the third goal

Dea and Kuhnhackl had the Pittsburgh goals

impressive players per Corey Pronman:

‏@coreypronman 1h
In first for CHI liked Danault, Carruth, Gleason, Ross. For PIT Dumoulin, Kuhnhackl.

https://twitter.com/coreypronman/status/376777395203616768

other impressive players per twitter chatter for the good guys:
Jarry supposedly looked athletic.
Uher looked involved.

here's a more detailed recap from the WBS website.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Seems like Dea might be worth a contract.

both of his junior line-mates were relatively high draft picks (Andrighetto-3rd round and Kucherov-2nd round)

based on this picture, they don't look that significantly different from a physical standpoint (sure, he's lighter but the difference isn't staggering)

the pens have been burnt by drafting/picking up the 'wrong' productive junior line-mate a few times, i'd be nice if it turns out that they got a 'straw-stirrer' this time instead of a passenger.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
both of his junior line-mates were relatively high draft picks (Andrighetto-3rd round and Kucherov-2nd round)

based on this picture, they don't look that significantly different from a physical standpoint (sure, he's lighter but the difference isn't staggering)

the pens have been burnt by drafting/picking up the 'wrong' productive junior line-mate a few times, i'd be nice if it turns out that they got a 'straw-stirrer' this time instead of a passenger.

seems worth it given Megna, Gibbons and Thompson are all in the last year of their contracts.

penguins2946*

Pens were missing a ton of their F prospects. I understand why they scored like 2 GPG. From the sounds of it on twitter:

-Jarry showed excellent movement and athleticism, Murray solid as well
-Kuhnhackl, Megna and Uher all played very well, with Kuhn being the best
-Dea and Kuhnhackl played well together (potential WBS pair?)
-Maatta was Pens best defender, followed by Dumoulin
-Harrington and Pouliot weren't bad, but weren't as good as they were hyped to be (especially with Pouliot)

Not much about this tournament on twitter.

Sjb141

Dec 11, 2008

This is probably one of the most hilarious things I've read on here, ever. (I'm assuming you're kidding, of course).

Most of our players probably have no idea there's a prospect tourney going on at all, and they sure as hell aren't checking in on jersey #'s.

My god...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad