Rookie Showcase

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
After watching a decent amount of the past 3 games, I think its fair to say our Prospect Pool is very overrated.

Its unacceptable that we passed on Andrew Cristall, Gracyn Sawchyn etc for Kalan Lind and Austin Roest

We have no one capable of distributing the puck or playing with any creativity outside of Evangelista and Kemmell
These guys aren't finished prospects. They are young and developing. I am not sure how you can take about 30 minutes of total ice time from three games and then just make a broad statement about the entire prospect pool. Let's pump the brakes. These games are nothing more than a glorified scrimmage for coaching purposes.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
After watching a decent amount of the past 3 games, I think its fair to say our Prospect Pool is very overrated.

Its unacceptable that we passed on Andrew Cristall, Gracyn Sawchyn etc for Kalan Lind and Austin Roest

We have no one capable of distributing the puck or playing with any creativity outside of Evangelista and Kemmell
:huh: Cristall was picked before Lind and Nilsson, we could only have taken him instead of Molendyk, which I wouldn't do today.

Roest was picked 175th, far far below where those guys were selected.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
These guys aren't finished prospects. They are young and developing. I am not sure how you can take about 30 minutes of total ice time from three games and then just make a broad statement about the entire prospect pool. Let's pump the brakes. These games are nothing more than a glorified scrimmage for coaching purposes.
Yeah, I don't expect ANYTHING from the 18-year olds. Or really any player who hasn't played outside of junior yet. If I'm a little disappointed in anybody, it might be Evangelista. Even though they generally tilt the ice when they are out there, if we consider him a legit top-6 NHL winger at this point... I would have expected him to literally dominate this level of action. He's one of the better players for sure, but not "dominating". Very mild critique, mind you.

In general, I'm not really looking for faults, more for the good things the players flash here and there, and quite a few of them have done that for me. It doesn't really matter if they win or lose the games.

I have liked how the tempo and passing has improved so dramatically since Game 1. That first game was a mess, but the intensity and precision has really come a very long way in such a short period of time.

I really do hope the Ads get some loaner help, though, because I'm not sure we can rely on Afanaseyev, Svechkov, L'Heureux, Schaefer to provide big offense. Having a couple more scoring options up front for the Ads would be very helpful.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Yeah, I don't expect ANYTHING from the 18-year olds. Or really any player who hasn't played outside of junior yet. If I'm a little disappointed in anybody, it might be Evangelista. Even though they generally tilt the ice when they are out there, if we consider him a legit top-6 NHL winger at this point... I would have expected him to literally dominate this level of action. He's one of the better players for sure, but not "dominating". Very mild critique, mind you.

In general, I'm not really looking for faults, more for the good things the players flash here and there, and quite a few of them have done that for me. It doesn't really matter if they win or lose the games.

I have liked how the tempo and passing has improved so dramatically since Game 1. That first game was a mess, but the intensity and precision has really come a very long way in such a short period of time.

I really do hope the Ads get some loaner help, though, because I'm not sure we can rely on Afanaseyev, Svechkov, L'Heureux, Schaefer to provide big offense. Having a couple more scoring options up front for the Ads would be very helpful.
Evangelista has tried to do a little much, but that's not surprising. He probably knows how he wants to play but aside from Kemell and Svech he's not really got partners that are matching his play. He's basically playing alone today based on how the games unfolded. I'd like to see him back with his group from Saturday, although it's really not all that important in the big picture. Training camp will be when we can start seeing things and are able to draw any type of conclusions about guys.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Shaefer is a turnover machine. He has to clean that up.

I don't know how anyone can watch Spencer Stastney and not be impressed. I'd add that Matier has impressed me too.
Stastney went beast mode on that one offensive possession. Singlehandedly held it in and created 2 or 3 scoring chances.

Reactions: triggrman

Edgework

Jun 22, 2023
Standouts:

Kemell
Evangelista
Matier

Disappointments:

Afanasyev
L'Heureux
Schaefer
Wilsby

Meh:

Askarov
Svechkov
Lind
Molendyk
Statsney
Prokop
Agree with a lot of that.

I thought Molendyk had a pretty good weekend overall…his two blue line turnovers today were gagworthy, but that’s going to happen when you let an 18-year-old rookie quarterback the power play in a no-practice showcase event.

I think Suzuki picked his pass off one of the times, for instance. Wasn’t Suzuki drafted about 4 years ago?

At age 18, I think you learn from it, flush it, and move on. And molendyk did show a lot of elements to build on.

But anyway, all that’s a quibble. Your list is pretty spot on.

Reactions: triggrman

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Couldn't watch the 3rd game quite as closely from work as the other 2. I guess in the end, so much for our Cup hopes! 0-3, no hardware to take home. :)

Molendyk probably impressed me most... relative to my expectations for a youngster anyway. The errors this game don't really factor into it for me, he was trying things. I wouldn't say his speed/skating were even really the main thing that stood out about him, though, it was more just the way he attacked the game with confidence every shift instead of letting it come to him. He wanted to take control and managed a surprisingly good job of it.

Prokop was also a little more crafty with the puck than I would have given him credit for. Mutter found ways to make himself noticeable,.. that's what having 4 years on some guys will do. The Ads will have some size and scrappiness with him and L'Heureux and Schaefer. I thought L'Heureux was more noticeable the first 2 games and was jamming and disturbing around the crease more, while Schaefer was less involved. But then in the 3rd game Schaefer got himself into position for some chances and was around the net more instead of hanging off to the sides like he did in the first couple games?

Stastney didn't belong in this tournament, it was sporting of the team to sit him out in Game 2. :) I might have expected Wilsby to stand out a little more likewise, but he seemed content to just hang back and mind shop. I wouldn't have expected the younger D to do much, Sward and MacKinnon should be back in junior, and need to be. Granted, an overage year for Sward, but so be it. Matier mostly hung back too, got his fight in, I would rate him below Prokop if you were only going on these games, it will be interesting to see if they can find room for both those guys in Milwaukee, given the log-jam on D.

Afanseyev has played better than this in the NHL main Camps in the past, I'm definitely less inclined to "dark horse" him for sneaking into the Preds camp, if that's all he has right now. But with any 3 game sample, especially first time playing with guys, and maybe a bit of a "lark", I don't think one should read too much into these games.

Svechkov was bit hit-or-miss. He had some crafty moments, other times, he seemed a bit out of synch. Hopefully he finds another gear in Milwaukee, the team needs a center who can make plays. He needs some more consistency. I don't think he plays with urgency in general, it isn't his style, but sometimes it might help?

I thought the invites up front were ok. Wall got his fluke goal, O'Brien got more looks in Game 3 and his goal.

Who else? They featured Roest a bit more in Game 3, whereas previously he had been buried a bit with lesser guys in the first 2 games. He tried a few things. I didn't notice Willis much. Good for them to put in another year of junior. Lind definitely makes himself noticeable after the whistles, he lived up to his billing as an agitating kind of pesky forward. We'll see all these guys back for this next year, of course, hopefully a little more polished.

As one of the older guys, Kondelik probably should have showed better than he did if he was going to be a prospect for us, but I think we already knew that ship has sailed.

Mostly, just nice to see some hockey again! I was a little worried after Game 1 that it might be "bad hockey", but things picked up nicely in the 2nd and 3rd games, which were both more fun to watch.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Agree with a lot of that.

I thought Molendyk had a pretty good weekend overall…his two blue line turnovers today were gagworthy, but that’s going to happen when you let an 18-year-old rookie quarterback the power play in a no-practice showcase event.

I think Suzuki picked his pass off one of the times, for instance. Wasn’t Suzuki drafted about 4 years ago?

At age 18, I think you learn from it, flush it, and move on. And molendyk did show a lot of elements to build on.

But anyway, all that’s a quibble. Your list is pretty spot on.
I think Suzuki actually forced both turnovers, no? Yes, Suzuki is one of the more seasoned guys in this tournament.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think Suzuki actually forced both turnovers, no? Yes, Suzuki is one of the more seasoned guys in this tournament.
For sure he did. And beating Askarov in shootouts has never been an easy feat either. He seemed like a quick guy with great hands. I would definitely welcome him in Milwaukee. I was getting the sense that as a former 1st round pick, maybe he was so far underwhelming in his development, but he looked good to me. Like I said, if we can get him and Ponomarev as loaners, they can both play in our top-6 in Milwaukee, no question. :thumbu:

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Yeah, I don't expect ANYTHING from the 18-year olds. Or really any player who hasn't played outside of junior yet.

Bingo! These are fun for us to watch, but they're more for the coaching staff and players to feel things out. We're really not looking at how these guys play today and determining their future from it. The coaches are looking at how coachable are the players and what are their deficiencies that need to be focused on. For the most part, all of these players are in a professional environment for the first time, they're learning how to practice, how to prepare for games, how the coaches, captains, training staff, etc communicate in the room, bench, hotels... So they will get a lot of direction on what to take with them when they're away from the Preds, what to work on to continue improving and hopefully how to go about that. Then you hope that they've made progress whenever they're up with the pro level staff again.

If everyone was a finished product on draft day, there wouldn't even be a point in having rookie camps.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I thought Molendyk and Stastney were our 2 best blueliners with Matier and Prokop next. I expected more out of Wilsby. In fact, I'd say Wilsby was my biggest disappointment.

Up front Kemel and Evangelista were both way better than everyone else. I liked Lind's game, and L'Heureux's game. Svechkov was okay too.

Everyone else seemed to be trying to figure it out, most had some flashes, both good and bad.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Stastney still looks good.

Im more reassured that Molendyk is a good pick.

Kemell looks dangerous but needs another player on the ice with him that can help draw attention away from him. When he is the main scoring threat on the ice, the opponents are smothering his ability to find space and time.

Schaefer seemed slow and needs some seasoning.

L'Heureux has some good pep in his step. Looking forward to seeing him in Milwaukee. I think he didnt so anything stupid penalty wise in the games so thats a good start.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
With Svechkov, I feel like his defensive game is more than enough for the AHL level. But the offense needs a ton of work, like he was playing way too tentative not to make a mistake.

Well said especially about Kemell and Schaefer.
Stastney still looks good.

Im more reassured that Molendyk is a good pick.

Kemell looks dangerous but needs another player on the ice with him that can help draw attention away from him. When he is the main scoring threat on the ice, the opponents are smothering his ability to find space and time.

Schaefer seemed slow and needs some seasoning.

L'Heureux has some good pep in his step. Looking forward to seeing him in Milwaukee. I think he didnt so anything stupid penalty wise in the games so thats a good start.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
With Svechkov, I feel like his defensive game is more than enough for the AHL level. But the offense needs a ton of work, like he was playing way too tentative not to make a mistake.

Well said especially about Kemell and Schaefer.
I like Svechkov. He will be in the NHL one day but if he doesnt find his groove offensively he will be the longterm Sissons replacement at the bottom of the lineup.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
WRT the quality of our prospects....

We are fairly deep in 1 position (wings) while the rest is lacking overall. Our center depth for the tournament was Svechkov, Lind, Kondelik, Roest (going off the roster). Then our defense is a mishmash of middle and bottom pairing potential players with the exception of Molendyk who may have top pairing upside. Still lots of work to make a complete looking team but it is a rather good start

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad