Rookie Camp Starts 9/7

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
NCAA forbids it. They can come on their own dime. Not all of these kids come from families that can afford that.
But they were both out there for the camp a couple months ago? Whatever ... trying to understand the NCAA is a giant waste of time ... thanks for the info.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
But they were both out there for the camp a couple months ago? Whatever ... trying to understand the NCAA is a giant waste of time ... thanks for the info.

Might also be worth mentioning that classes have started at most universities.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Did anyone see the scrimmage today or the stream?

Yes. Lessio Lessio Lessio. Dude is going to be an NHLer one day. A good one at that IMO.

Yan Pavel Laplante looked good too. Visentin looked rock solid.

Murphy got burned pretty bad in one play, but he and Gormley really stand out.

Domi looks aggressive and very talented, but I'm almost positive they are going to send him back to the OHL.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Yes. Lessio Lessio Lessio. Dude is going to be an NHLer one day. A good one at that IMO.

Domi looks aggressive and very talented, but I'm almost positive they are going to send him back to the OHL.

Agreed, Lessio uses his speed effectively, but I think he's got Sjostrom disease, all swedish no finnish. :naughty:

I think we got a good one in Laplante and both Murphy and Gormley looked good.

Domi needs another year, but he's going to be a 70pt guy you can just tell. That being said, I doubt whether Miele can make it, he's a good AHL'er, and I just don't see him being able to handle top 6 duties.

Samuelsson just needs to work on his quickness a little and he'll be ready, although he's atleast 2 years away IMO. He needs 1 more year of juniors and at least 1 season in the AHL.

Years away IMHO
Gormley - 2014/5 (he could make it this year, but we're loaded on D)
Domi - 2014/5 (1 more year in Juniors and I think he makes the jump)
Lessio - 2014/5 (1 year in the AHL and he'll be a good 3/4th line winger)

Murphy - 2015/6 (he actually looks better than Gormley in my opinion)
Samuelsson - 2015/6 (needs to work on quickness)

Crystal ball only goes out a couple years.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Agreed, Lessio uses his speed effectively, but I think he's got Sjostrom disease, all swedish no finnish. :naughty:

I think we got a good one in Laplante and both Murphy and Gormley looked good.

Domi needs another year, but he's going to be a 70pt guy you can just tell. That being said, I doubt whether Miele can make it, he's a good AHL'er, and I just don't see him being able to handle top 6 duties.

Samuelsson just needs to work on his quickness a little and he'll be ready, although he's atleast 2 years away IMO. He needs 1 more year of juniors and at least 1 season in the AHL.

Years away IMHO
Gormley - 2014/5 (he could make it this year, but we're loaded on D)
Domi - 2014/5 (1 more year in Juniors and I think he makes the jump)
Lessio - 2014/5 (1 year in the AHL and he'll be a good 3/4th line winger)

Murphy - 2015/6 (he actually looks better than Gormley in my opinion)
Samuelsson - 2015/6 (needs to work on quickness)

Thoroughly agree.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008

Really liked Laplantes game today. Good backchecking, not afraid to fight it out in front of the net, used his body and stick well. Very interested in his development the next few years.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Years away IMHO
Gormley - 2014/5
Domi - 2014/5
Lessio - 2014/5

Murphy - 2015/6
Samuelsson - 2015/6

I mostly agree.

Gormley up and down this year, full-time next.

Brown up and down this year, full-time next.

Lessio full time AHL this year, up and down the following, and full time the year after.

Murphy full time AHL this year, up and down the following, and full time thee next.

Samuelsson full-time amateur this year, up and down AHL/NHL next, full-time NHL the follwing season.

Domi full-time amateur this year, full-time NHL next.

Miele up and down this year and next, and then full-time Europe for a few years and retirement around 29 or 30.

Swat Ultra

~Hockey!~
Sep 23, 2010
Northern NH
i thought no one really stood out in todays game

it was slow and sloppy (more than normal for these types of games) i really don't have much input, just looked like going through the motions

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
I mostly agree.

Gormley up and down this year, full-time next.

Brown up and down this year, full-time next.

Lessio full time AHL this year, up and down the following, and full time the year after.

Murphy full time AHL this year, up and down the following, and full time thee next.

Samuelsson full-time amateur this year, up and down AHL/NHL next, full-time NHL the follwing season.

Domi full-time amateur this year, full-time NHL next.

Miele up and down this year and next, and then full-time Europe for a few years and retirement around 29 or 30.

Remember that this is a Tippet-coached team. Add a year of development to each player above;)

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Went to the rookie scrimmage today. Here are my thoughts.

Chris Brown - Guy is a all out balls type. Stops at nothing but the whistle. Confident he makes the big club.
Daine Todd (sp?) - Never heard of the kid, but really should have a look for an AHL contract. Great poise, hands and speed.
Pavel Laplante - Great mobility with good size
And Miele - He stood out and he should have considering his experience.
Connor Murphy - Really think this kid is a hidden gem. Albeit a first rounder with the knee issue, has great vision and doesn't give up.
Laurent Dauphin - This kid will be good. Has the work ethic and can create a play out of nothing.

Max Domi was unimpressive. Didn't see the hype was all about.
Henrik Samuelson was worthless. No drive and a floater
Brandon Gormley was decent. Really fights guys off the puck and very persistent, but didn't stand out to me.
Adam Antkowiak has no business being on the ice.

Mark Visentine should push for an AHL job. Great positioning and a real traditional style.

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
If I'm not mistaken Stone had a full season down? Wasn't quite quick enough for NHL, but actually came along a little faster than I would have thought.

That was my point. I was suggesting extended AHL time for every player in that post other than Max Domi. Just like Stone and OEL paid dues first. He was suggesting three or four seasons of AHL for most of our top prospects. I don't see precedent for that. Not with the ones who are actually going to pan out. People have been frustrated in the past about not giving more time to guys who were just going to go bust anyhow. My predictions in that post all assumed development stayed right on track for each of those guys. Obviously it won't and a good percentage of them won't pan out.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
That was my point. I was suggesting extended AHL time for every player in that post other than Max Domi. Just like Stone and OEL paid dues first. He was suggesting three or four seasons of AHL for most of our top prospects. I don't see precedent for that. Not with the ones who are actually going to pan out. People have been frustrated in the past about not giving more time to guys who were just going to go bust anyhow. My predictions in that post all assumed development stayed right on track for each of those guys. Obviously it won't and a good percentage of them won't pan out.

Okay, I understand. That's what I get for reading too early in the morning!

As for guys not panning out, it's really quite amazing in that the boys currently at camp are all damn good hockey players and most will not make the grade. That fact really should impress everyone regarding the step up to the NHL level.

rt

May 13, 2004
Absolutely. Amazing that kids like Oscar Moller, Bud Holloway, Viktor Tikhonov, etc don't actually make the grade either. Exciting, great young players. No room in this league? It's incredible. One reason why I'd be cool with 32 teams. There is a lot of talent out there not in in the NHL.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Absolutely. Amazing that kids like Oscar Moller, Bud Holloway, Viktor Tikhonov, etc don't actually make the grade either. Exciting, great young players. No room in this league? It's incredible. One reason why I'd be cool with 32 teams. There is a lot of talent out there not in in the NHL.

Careful rt, some of my old timer counter parts up north will argue to the death that the league is already watered down. They do know the game better.... cause it's colder there doncha know? :sarcasm:

I too think that talent wise the league is ready, business wise? Perhaps

Oh and it's not like none of us have any cold weather knowledge...

huhwhtfkr

Aug 21, 2010
Thursday practice?

Are they skating Thursday? I know team physicals are tomorrow and I'm off Thursday thought I'd swing by for lunch and check'em out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad