Prospect Info: Rookie Camp | Sept 5-9 | Open to public

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
Let me begin by saying that I appreciate the Ducks using the Honda Center for this game and opening it up for free. That said, the preparation of the Honda Center for the game was substandard. Parking was pretty tough to come by, there were long lines at security to get in, and only four concession stands were open, with very long lines and slow delivery of food. Much of this was apparently due to the fact that the team expected around 2,500 people, and got around 7,500 according to the manager of the food stand where I waited for food for around 25 minutes.

As for the game, the Ducks looked like they were skating a pond hockey game, and did not play well as a team. I thought that the Etem line looked pretty good, but Whitney was getting bounced around due to his lack of size. I suspect that Rakell will start the season in Norfolk, but we will have to see how things develop when there is an organized structure to the Ducks game. I also liked Wagner, since he seemed to keep winning face offs. That was a sight for sore Duck eyes.

I was not happy with the play by Smith-Pelley. He looked like he did last year, just not in the game. The rest of the forwards were pretty unimpressive to me. None of them are close to ready for prime time, but then that is what Norfolk is for.

I was favorably impressed by Theodore. For an 18 year old he played a good game and had decent poise. Lindholm also played well, but I think that for the sake of his career, he should be developed in Norfolk and not rushed to the NHL. Warg looks like he may be a third pairing defenseman at some point, as he has good size and plays a basic game.

I think that once Bobkov's ELC is over he is gone. He looked absolutely terrible in goal. Anderson looked okay, but I don't think that he is quite ready to be a back up at this point. I wish that Gibson had played, as I would really like to see him in person, but that is just not to be. I am not going to LA for the second game of the series.

In summary, I got what I paid for, which was nothing for nothing. A large number of our prospects appear to have a long ways to go before we see them in Anaheim.

The fact that they wanted us all to squeeze into the lower bowl was laughable. Every time the Ducks hold one of these events, they're only prepared for about 33% of the total that shows up.

scryan

May 1, 2013
I dunno...
I thought it was fairly easy to park, find a seat and get it.

I didn't even show up when doors open and all the lines moved pretty quick, and there were plenty of available seats, even in the lower sections. I've paid for events with much more problems.

Pretty damn happy right now, game started just after I got off work, was free and on the way home. Took like 15 -20 minutes to get in, including parking. I don't know how much more you want them to do for free?

Was warm in there for an ice rink though.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Yeah, it was pretty ****ing pathetic. I'm not sold on our coaching staff. The kings don't have better prospects, we're just not as crisp as them for some reason. It was kinda sad that they turned such a great event into a **** show on the ice. It really wasn't all that competitive. Our kids clearly weren't as good as a team
That's not really surprising when you consider that LA's best lines were playing together in Manchester last season. Look at how Lindholm and Vatanen looked like our best pairing of the night. That's not something that's just down to talent.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
That's not really surprising when you consider that LA's best lines were playing together in Manchester last season. Look at how Lindholm and Vatanen looked like our best pairing of the night. That's not something that's just down to talent.

Yeah...they do have some guys that have played AHL for at least a full year now. Toffoli, Vey, Pearson, Andreoff, Forbort all look like good prospects for them.

DaDucks*

-Coaching was awful, especially the pp scheme.
- Etem rakkel noeson = terrible chemistry.
- bottom two lines were a joke. As were the face offs.

Game itself was horrible, I wanted to leave after the first

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
-Coaching was awful, especially the pp scheme.
- Etem rakkel noeson = terrible chemistry.
- bottom two lines were a joke. As were the face offs.

Game itself was horrible, I wanted to leave after the first

I don't know who was coaching. Definitely not BB. Not much of a coaching plan if you ask me. It was more of a go out there and see if you can score type of game plan.

Ramenbot

May 2, 2010
Burbank
Don't forget that there were THREE 5-on3s for the Ducks, and they didn't come close to converting on any of them. There was no awmblance of an offense being set up. The refs gave the Ducks gift power plays over and over and they could barely keep it in the zone.

Imdon't think it's a coincidence that the Ducks also had problems with 5-on3s last season.

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
I dunno...
I thought it was fairly easy to park, find a seat and get it.

I didn't even show up when doors open and all the lines moved pretty quick, and there were plenty of available seats, even in the lower sections. I've paid for events with much more problems.

Pretty damn happy right now, game started just after I got off work, was free and on the way home. Took like 15 -20 minutes to get in, including parking. I don't know how much more you want them to do for free?

Was warm in there for an ice rink though.

We bypassed the huge line wrapping around the building by lining up in a second one just started next to it. Lots of people line jumped over after. Got great seats but it was definitely warm, I was in my Ducks tank, shorts & flip flops two rows back from the ice and was never cold.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
People complain about free events?:amazed:

I'm not complaining, I'm just pointing out that the coaching didn't appear to be there. I'm sure many others agree that the Kings are clearly more structured out there than us.

As for the event, parking sucked for me, and the food lines were absurd. I can't believe they only had like one restaurant open at the whole place. I heard they were expecting 2,500 people to be there but got 7,500. You could tell right when you walked in the door that they weren't ready for that many people. Not nearly enough employees working today. I hope they do this even next year, and run it much better. I'd rather pay 10 bucks and have it run properly then have it be free and be a mess...

Edit: Also, for a hockey game, it was ****ing hot in that place. I don't think I've ever gone to a hockey game that was that hot inside the arena

Ramenbot

May 2, 2010
Burbank
There were at least four food places open. I got food from the place called Outlaw something. Line was much shorter than the other stands, for some reason.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Yeah, it was pretty ****ing pathetic. I'm not sold on our coaching staff. The kings don't have better prospects, we're just not as crisp as them for some reason. It was kinda sad that they turned such a great event into a **** show on the ice. It really wasn't all that competitive. Our kids clearly weren't as good as a team

Kings had the AHL ROY in Toffoli and one of the league's top scorers in Vey teamed up with Pearson at LW as they did much of last year in Manchester. Weal has played two seasons in the AHL and was a ridiculous scorer in the WHL. Deslauriers played his second AHL season last year as well and Kitsyn has been playing against men in the KHL for years.

I'm not getting into a prospect pool debate, just stating that the Kings prospects that played today were definitely more seasoned and have some chemistry. Manchester plays the same system as LA's; you could tell that was the case and that some of the players were used to each other.

As for the temp in the arena, it felt a lot better than it did outside. Before everyone jumps on the arena management, let's remember that there aren't too many games played here in the midst of a heat wave.

Concessions were an issue though for sure. I knew the options would be limited but the surprising turn out made this a real problem.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Also before anyone panics, we need to remember that these aren't actually teams. These are prospects thrown together into a team in the span of days. These are held to evaluate individual players, more for the camp than the games, and to provide a little entertainment for the fans. If this was that important, Boudreau would be front and center, and players like Maroon and Holland would be required to be there.

quentez

#8 Teemu Legend
Apr 2, 2011
Trondheim, Norway
Good to hear Rakell is looking sharp out there. Personally, I think he will be a full time 4th liner this season (with 2C potential) and Holland gets packaged for a decent defenseman during the season.

DaDucks*

Also before anyone panics, we need to remember that these aren't actually teams. These are prospects thrown together into a team in the span of days. These are held to evaluate individual players, more for the camp than the games, and to provide a little entertainment for the fans. If this was that important, Boudreau would be front and center, and players like Maroon and Holland would be required to be there.

Yes, we know.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

Well said. This isn't game 7 of the Cup finals. It's a working session to evaluate a lot of players with varying degrees of experience and mostly no chemistry with anybody else on the "team". Winning or losing a game like is absolutely meaningless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad