Rookie camp 2014 (starts Sept. 13)

brunosevigny

Jan 13, 2012
I mean, I know...not the end of the world....we know the NHL team already....we almost also know the AHL team already....yet....at one point, performances needs to mean something. You could easily make a case for not inviting Goulet....but you invite Momesso and Eberle and Brace? Gill ahead of Hill? Not Beaudoin who looked like the best d-man out there out of everybody? And you invite Baker and Wardley? Seriously? There has to be an order coming from Wheeling 'cause everything else makes no sense whatsoever. Really hope they keep an eye on Gadoury, Goulet and Beaudoin.

Oh and Audette should have been invited and see at least 1 game.

Basically, that shows the rookie camp meaned nothing. I watched the 3 screamages and Audette and Beaudoin were really deserving an attempt at the pro camp. Players way worst were invited. Really strange selection.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Basically, that shows the rookie camp meaned nothing. I watched the 3 screamages and Audette and Beaudoin were really deserving an attempt at the pro camp. Players way worst were invited. Really strange selection.

True. I mean, they went the easy way....they invite Baker 'cause the guy is now moving in a pro career. So let's see what he does. Of course, Baker will never see a preseason game. So, quite a few guys out there are just waiting, like I said before, that the Dogs practices starts. Yet....what the heck did they see in Baker? Takes a lot of imagination to have seen something good. I mean, THE only thing I thought before that rookie camp was that the ONLY players that it was really important to see shine, is the unsigned kids. Based on this year's cuts, it's absolutely false. Which in the end, does mean that the camp means nothing. And frankly, most players played that way.....like it meant nothing. When I said they go the easy route, it's the only reason why Gill is invited and not Hill. Gill was already a Wheeling player last year. They are really going with the "Pros" only. So if you're 20 years old and up, no matter how you play, you are in. Strange. Especially when 1 20 year old was the best and wasn't invited.....And it's really lazy as they could have waited at least one day to see who else was let go from other teams to see if other guys might not have been more worthy than the ones that are inviting....

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

It was mentioned earlier that the camp means nothing in terms of classifying players.
Strangely enough the Habs usually get it right when it comes to the carrot and the stick.

Not many spots available with the additions of MM and PAP up front.
We are already at 13 forwards with moen weise and bournival if everyone remains healthy.
Sekac should have the inside edge as he can afford to ride the pine more than ghetti.
Moens number may be up?

Our D is fairly well set as well once again if everyone remains healthy.
Weaver and Gilbert along with PK should get the nod on RD while Markov Emelin and Beaulee get it on the left. This leaves Tin Man Pateryn and Nygren vying for the remaining spot(s).

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Is it so hard to understand that Max pac wants dd and no one else has is center. The Guy just feed the puck Like no other on that team. We need dd for the moment.

If this is somehow true and Pac can only play with one player, then he wouldn't be close to as good as many have him (which is a top 10 LW in the NHL).

brunosevigny

Jan 13, 2012
It was mentioned earlier that the camp means nothing in terms of classifying players.
Strangely enough the Habs usually get it right when it comes to the carrot and the stick.

Not many spots available with the additions of MM and PAP up front.
We are already at 13 forwards with moen weise and bournival if everyone remains healthy.
Sekac should have the inside edge as he can afford to ride the pine more than ghetti.
Moens number may be up?

Our D is fairly well set as well once again if everyone remains healthy.
Weaver and Gilbert along with PK should get the nod on RD while Markov Emelin and Beaulee get it on the left. This leaves Tin Man Pateryn and Nygren vying for the remaining spot(s).

I just don't mind the number of spots availlable. If a guys does well in the rookie camp, IMHO he should get an invite to the big camp. You have to reward them in some kind of way. It's not about their chances to make the lineup. It's just about the experience of practicing with NHLers and if they play well enough, maybe even to play a pre-season game with some of them. I think that Audette and Beaudoin would have benefited a lot of that. That would have been a great boost for their confidence. Hopefully the habs, had kind words for them and they keep tracking Beaudoin, Goulet and Gadoury in the Q.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
If this is somehow true and Pac can only play with one player, then he wouldn't be close to as good as many have him (which is a top 10 LW in the NHL).

This is ridiculous.

"Perry would rather play with Getzlaf than Cogliano. He's not close to be as good as many have him!" Derp.

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
They shouldn't have cut Audette and Beaudoin. They send the wrong message by cutting 2 of the top ten best players from the rookie camp. Don't even try to make the team our team is already complete.

They were close of being the top 2 at the rookie camp if it wasn't of Andrighetto ...

Dumb decision IMO.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
They were close of being the top 2 at the rookie camp if it wasn't of Andrighetto ...

Dumb decision IMO.

Pretty strange as Bergevin's motto is "Make me take a hard decision" "Your performance will indicate what's coming for you..." And so on. And frankly, when you invite 64 kids, inviting those 2 was probably the easiest thing to do as far as recognizing their work. Yes, I know....would not have changed anything. They both would have been send down real soon. But I would have made them play 1 game.

Let's hope the monitors are on as far as Beaudoin, Gadoury and Goulet.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I take it for granted there was no Guy Lafleur to stand out from the pack and be assigned a permanent jersey number. Things don't stand still and certain prospects who seemed to be snubbed will reemerge at a later date. I don't have anyone specific in mind, though, because I haven't seen any of the prospects in action. There can be night and day differences in young players within a few weeks or months as they gain experience. Time will tell.

neil2005

May 2, 2012
case in point why it's not the greatest idea to have the habs participate in a future rookie tournament.

Brendan Savage ‏@BrendanSavage 7m
Anthony Mantha out 6-8 weeks with fractured tibia, says Ken Holland. Happened in first period of prospects game vs. Minn. Monday

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
There are so many things we don't know as to why this player wasn't offered a contract, why this one was sent back to junior so soon, etc.

Were they out of shape, showing lack of serious (no matter if they performed in the scrimmages)? Were they "big headed"? Did the coached saw some alarming technical limitations during the scrimmages that they know won't translate well in the pros? Was it a deal in place with the agent stipulating that an eventual offer would have to be AHL garanteed (no Wheeling), or they would try with another NHL organization?

We were amazed the same way when they sent back Vail very early, then again when he wasn't offered a contract. And then what? The guy tried in Carolina and was let go... No big deal.

And about signing some invites, it is not too late. Bergevin could still sign them in a week or two, depending on the way the camp is shaping off.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
case in point why it's not the greatest idea to have the habs participate in a future rookie tournament.

Anthony Mantha out 6-8 weeks with fractured tibia, says Ken Holland. Happened in first period of prospects game vs. Minn. Monday

Agreed 100%.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013

Though break, I think he was getting a shot at a line with Datsyuk or Z. He was dominant at the rookie tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00