Ron Wilson fired from assitant coach in Hamilton.

tez

Oct 23, 2009
Nova Scotia
Bergevin is still in his honeymoon phase, where people are willing to forgive his failures:

- Subban contract situation
- Prust + Moen contracts
- Thought Shane Doan would be the answer
- No trades to improve the team thus far
- Hired his friends specifically for nearly all positions
- The circus in Hamilton
- Therrien

The Subban contract situation is all on Bergevin? News to me. Most organizations in this league want a short deal after the entry level, that's how it works. Players prove they can continue at a high level, and then they cash in. This situation would have been identical under any of our past GMs, or we would have overpaid him by now.

Prust and Moen? Prust fills an urgent need, and Moen has served admirably with the Habs so far. I don't see how their contracts are exactly a negative. Both are heart and soul players that we need more of.

No trades to improve the team a couple of months into his job, and there was a lockout for half of it! Oh no!

Hired his friends, like Rick Dudley who was widely praised as a great hiring? Or maybe Patrice Brisebois, who if you watch Road to the Memorial Cup on Sportsnet, you'd see he has actually been doing a very good job of meeting up with our prospects at their practices and helping them out.

What exactly has Therrien done so far that's so bad, either? We lost a one goal game to a team that was better than ours last season, and should be this season too. He's demanded a lot out of our young players, like we see with Eller tonight. He's holding every player accountable. Where is the issue with him one game into the season?

Good god you people love to overreact.

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
The Subban contract situation is all on Bergevin? News to me. Most organizations in this league want a short deal after the entry level, that's how it works. Players prove they can continue at a high level, and then they cash in. This situation would have been identical under any of our past GMs, or we would have overpaid him by now.

Prust and Moen? Prust fills an urgent need, and Moen has served admirably with the Habs so far. I don't see how their contracts are exactly a negative. Both are heart and soul players that we need more of.

No trades to improve the team a couple of months into his job, and there was a lockout for half of it! Oh no!

Hired his friends, like Rick Dudley who was widely praised as a great hiring? Or maybe Patrice Brisebois, who if you watch Road to the Memorial Cup on Sportsnet, you'd see he has actually been doing a very good job of meeting up with our prospects at their practices and helping them out.

What exactly has Therrien done so far that's so bad, either? We lost a one goal game to a team that was better than ours last season, and should be this season too. He's demanded a lot out of our young players, like we see with Eller tonight. He's holding every player accountable. Where is the issue with him one game into the season?

Exactly. Sometimes it feels that we are collectively both the best and the worst fan base.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I'm guessing Wilson wanted less Stortini/Hagel and more Leblanc.

Can't be unless this management is worst than the Houle management team. 'Cause not that long ago, Lefebvre had the visit from the Habs brass who textually said to go on and continue the way he was doing, that this year's was to give the kids some icetime and that only the development was important to this point. Which can't mean that Lefebvre didn't agree with the management, Wilson did, hence Wilson was fired? I do have 2 concerns though. My first is Avtsin. If it's really a development year and you don't care about the win/loss column, why the heck wouldn't you play him 60 minutes a game so that you are able to take a decision on him to either keep him or send him back in Europe. Makes no sense to me. Then, I don't agree that you could not have mixed development and winning. They could have added the vets needed to help the kids progress. All fun to develop in adversity but there's a freakin limit. Then....while most of us do not care, this is totally unfair to the Hamilton crowd. I,d be really curious if they would have had the nerve to have that "philosophy" in Laval....My bet is that they would not.

Bergevin is still in his honeymoon phase, where people are willing to forgive his failures:

- Prust + Moen contracts
- The circus in Hamilton
- Therrien

Failures after having played 1 game in a row. I don,t agree with how Subban is being handled, but it's not like we lost him already. You still have no idea how Prust and Moen will handle themselves. What's this Doan thing about? Is he part of the Habs and I don't know? No trades....after 1 game? Are you serious? Friends...as if nobody else does that? Circus in Hamilton, well like I said on the previous post, I don't necessarily agree with everything that is going on....But we will have to give those guys at least 1 year in a row to implement their stuff. And Therrien, well not a favorite of mine but he's a failure already?

Didn't Gauthier get vilified for that? I guess it's suddenly a great idea under Bergevin now.

As if we're talking about the same thing. Lefebvre decided to keep Wilson while he had no idea who that guy was. Clearly, he tried and doesn't share his philosophy. While our great GM decided to fire an assistant coach...Yes...about the same thing....:shakehead

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site

Seriously.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Wow. Still lots of Gauthier love here.

Hamilton is having a lot of problems. Status quo for an underperforming team is foolish.

Good luck to Ron Wilson but changes need to be made.

dre

Jan 15, 2004
Thunder Bay
What were Wilson's responsibilites? Dmen, PP, PK? Other? Was he the 'good guy' or the old sage of the coaching staff. This info can help us figure out what philosophy Lefebrve is hinting towards.

Possible scenerios:

winning/losing vs development (ie playing vets over rookies)
Icetime regarding Habs prospects vs AHL/ECHL guys
PP or PK philosophy
Or finally....simply a problem in the room and Wilson took the wrong persons side

I know this feels like gossiping, but if we tease out this info it gives us a better idea of the Habs long-term philosophy.

dre

Jan 15, 2004
Thunder Bay
Can't be unless this management is worst than the Houle management team. 'Cause not that long ago, Lefebvre had the visit from the Habs brass who textually said to go on and continue the way he was doing, that this year's was to give the kids some icetime and that only the development was important to this point. Which can't mean that Lefebvre didn't agree with the management, Wilson did, hence Wilson was fired? I do have 2 concerns though. My first is Avtsin. If it's really a development year and you don't care about the win/loss column, why the heck wouldn't you play him 60 minutes a game so that you are able to take a decision on him to either keep him or send him back in Europe. Makes no sense to me. Then, I don't agree that you could not have mixed development and winning. They could have added the vets needed to help the kids progress. All fun to develop in adversity but there's a freakin limit. Then....while most of us do not care, this is totally unfair to the Hamilton crowd. I,d be really curious if they would have had the nerve to have that "philosophy" in Laval....My bet is that they would not.

Agree about having a winning development system. Keeps everyone hungry for more. In a losing situation, players tend to look for internal goals (score x#of times). On a winning team the focus stays on winning/team success, which is a good habit to get into.

You bring up a good point about Laval. I wonder if keeping the team terrible has a nice 'side-effect' of keeping attendance low and giving minority habs owner and Hamilton Bulldogs owner Andlauer a reason to move the team. Seems kind of sinister but its fun to speculate.

DailyKaizen

DAChampion brings up some very relevant points and half of you want him burnt at the stake for being a witch or heretic...

The Wilson firing clearly is a case of the first scapegoat to fall...we all know where he was in on the rungs of the ladder of power...at the bottom...

Remember the Leblanc rumours...I would not be surprised if eventually there is a full on revolt due to linguistic politics within our farm club...

VL55

Aug 12, 2010
Montreal
Remember the Leblanc rumours...I would not be surprised if eventually there is a full on revolt due to linguistic politics within our farm club...

I would be.

And what would be the revolt about? The all francophone coaching staff are being too hard on the francophone prospects?

That wouldn't be a revolt. That would be a civil war, right? :laugh:

DailyKaizen

I would be.

And what would be the revolt about? The all francophone coaching staff are being too hard on the francophone prospects?

That wouldn't be a revolt. That would be a civil war, right?

LOL, good point, more accurately I was alluding to the fact that current coaching staff is bungling far too much this Hagel/Zortini fetish etc and are not the best coaching group for our farm club, clearly they were hired because MB is tight with them...He had plenty of time to do his due diligence and this was the best he could come up with? You reap what you sow and the results speak for themselves...Leblanc is being handled poorly and so is our farm club and this is MB fault...hire decent underlings for ffs...our farm team is of uber importance.

Mark my words Ron Wilson feels the same way I do...that is why he got the boot...every one is entitled to their own opinions...not their own facts...

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

- Prust + Moen contracts
- The circus in Hamilton
- Therrien

You're trying too hard.

A lot of these aren't even issues and the rest are overreactions. I'm not even a Therrien fan for example but what are you expecting? It's 2 games.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
You're trying too hard.

A lot of these aren't even issues and the rest are overreactions. I'm not even a Therrien fan for example but what are you expecting? It's 2 games.

I'm expecting our no. 1 dman to be signed, our better prospects in Hamilton to get ample playing time over Stortini, et cetera

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Has Wilson been with us before? I seem to recall him being in Hamilon in the past. If that's the case, no big deal, we need new blood.

I like that the new regime identify quickly the weaknesses and try solving it. Unlike the Goat regime. For example, Pearn should have been fired a long time ago(just not the way they did it).

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Failures after having played 1 game in a row. I don,t agree with how Subban is being handled, but it's not like we lost him already. You still have no idea how Prust and Moen will handle themselves. What's this Doan thing about? Is he part of the Habs and I don't know? No trades....after 1 game? Are you serious? Friends...as if nobody else does that? Circus in Hamilton, well like I said on the previous post, I don't necessarily agree with everything that is going on....But we will have to give those guys at least 1 year in a row to implement their stuff. And Therrien, well not a favorite of mine but he's a failure already?
You're hopelessly confused.

My criticisms have nothing to do with the first game of the season. My analysis is based on Bergevin's decision-making, not on some statistical fluctuation of whether or not the team goes on a hot or cold streak in the first 10 games, something that could happen and does often happen under any GM.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
You're hopelessly confused.

My criticisms have nothing to do with the first game of the season. My analysis is based on Bergevin's decision-making, not on some statistical fluctuation of whether or not the team goes on a hot or cold streak in the first 10 games, something that could happen and does often happen under any GM.

That's right: apparently, you are God's gift to pro hockey, by reading this board. You should be hired by an NHL team...so we could get a good laugh here after 2 games in a season, where, evidently, you would miserably fail.

I like playing 'gérant d'estrade'. But for fun. In reality, trying to sound serious about administrative and hockey management issues when I know damn well it's not NHL 13 by EA Sports is plain immature and shows lack of knowledge of what pro hockey is all about. Stop insulting other posters when you can't even seem to look at your own picture.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I'm expecting our no. 1 dman to be signed, our better prospects in Hamilton to get ample playing time over Stortini, et cetera

So let's assume subban is asking for 7 mil a year and 7 years. It's bergevin's fault? It's all nice to say what should get done but this isn't laziness or whatever. He gave Prust more than he should. Subban's term may just be past the point of necessity.

Well see what happens in Hamilton. I'm not liking it either but well see what happens. Hamilton made changes, well see if it works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad