Ron Hainsey Appreciation

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
He's on pace for 28 points, and perhaps will reach 30.

He's +20 on the season.

Rielly pays tribute to him.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He's on pace for 28 points, and perhaps will reach 30.

He's +20 on the season.

Rielly pays tribute to him.
He is a lead weight that Rielly carries around. Rielly is a class act always has been but if he was being honest he would tell you something much different.

I appreciate that he tries hard but when your legs are gone they are gone. He is a bottom pair D man who is playing far to high up in the line up and every person who knows anything about hockey states the same thing.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Good guy, great effort, bad player. Zero ability to zone exit or gain entry, bad first pass. Hope we can get him in a more suitable role soon.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Hainsey is effective at covering for Rielly when he makes forays into the offensive zone and he's reasonably effective on the PK. He's the best positional defenseman on the team.

However his play drops off considerably after 15 minutes of usage or 50 games into the season. Given his advanced age and limited mobility he should be on the third pairing. Especially late in the season.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
With proper TOI for someone of his skill and age he is a very good bottom 4 mentoring d man. In that role I am glad we have him. He's preferably a number 6 with reasonable PK time. I wouldn't mind a 30 year old Hainsey in his spot right now but we cannot use the Tardis in real life. I could go on, but this is an appreciation thread.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
A lot of fans talk about limitations as though Ron Hainsey has them and no other NHLer does.

Ron Hainsey was a part of the success of PIT, and will be part of TOR's success.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
This team needs him desperately. He's playing a line too high for his age. Love his hockey IQ.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Underrated dman that is top 5 in the league for quality of competition faced. (Which may be a little much for him at this stage of his career but he is coping)

Had a great stretch early on and then a rough November but has been more balanced as of late.

Covers defensively for Rielly more than he is given credit for. (Brilliant on that two on one last game to save a goal after Rielly got caught)

His minutes have been cut down somewhat from last year which should help this postseason. I'd almost like Babs to use the tad overrated Dermott a little more but he seems to like the way he is matching lines with the top 4 being possibly the least sheltered top 4 in hockey and the bottom pair being able to feast on the lesser matchups and grow into a stronger pairing.

Interested to see how he fares down the stretch this year without crazy workload.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He's playing to high in the lineup but that's not his fault

Seems like a good team man with a very professional disposition who's giving the team everything he's got left in the tank

It's hard to complain to loudly about that

Reactions: rumman

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
If we could bump him to the third pair and play him 14-16 minutes a night he wouldn't be bad, but as long as Babs is here that won't happen. Its like suggesting Hyman be bumped down even if there are better options (Johnsson).

I think Zaitsev/Oz/Holl can be just as good on the right side, with better skating.

Reactions: rumman

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Hainsey is effective at covering for Rielly when he makes forays into the offensive zone and he's reasonably effective on the PK. He's the best positional defenseman on the team.

However his play drops off considerably after 15 minutes of usage or 50 games into the season. Given his advanced age and limited mobility he should be on the third pairing. Especially late in the season.
Haisney can not cover his own ice or cover behind Rielly if he steps up against the rush at our blueline as he simply can not get across to do so. His foot speed starts the game at the same speeds as he ends the game with, which is not fast enough to play against smart fast players.

Reactions: Cotton

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
If we could bump him to the third pair and play him 14-16 minutes a night he wouldn't be bad, but as long as Babs is here that won't happen. Its like suggesting Hyman be bumped down even if there are better options (Johnsson).

I think Zaitsev/Oz/Holl can be just as good on the right side, with better skating.
Holl can not skate at the NHL level. Straight away skating he is fine but his transitional skating is not.

RLF

May 5, 2014
He is a lead weight that Rielly carries around. Rielly is a class act always has been but if he was being honest he would tell you something much different.

I appreciate that he tries hard but when your legs are gone they are gone. He is a bottom pair D man who is playing far to high up in the line up and every person who knows anything about hockey states the same thing.

That's about it there on the ice. Off ice, apparently a good leader, good guy in the room. Has value, but not a top pairing guy even if he is the complimentary guy on the pair.

Reactions: diceman934

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016

I would take more posts seriously if people came up with rational arguments. Thank you for your opinion on Hainsey it was better then still reading stuff like gud pro. Lol

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

The future hasn't happened yet.

Until he slows down and plays badly we can only praise what he is doing at the present.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad