Ron Francis

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
I think there is a plan, but I'm waiting to see what happens at the deadline and then in free agency to get a real sense of his actual timeline.
First, will he gain prospects, picks, assets by taking on dead salary at the deadline. You know playoff teams will want to do this, dump salary, and they have the cap room, not sure how ownership feels about that plan as it costs money for future gain.
Second, will he use that cap room effectively in free agency to fill in the gaps. Reckless spending won't be good, but it definitely provides an opportunity to speed things up.
I fully expect them to unload a LOT of depth type players and D men at the deadline but we shall see what happens.

Francis will be measured by his success in doing the above, but he will also be measured by how well he does in the lottery and if we get Wright, all will be forgiven.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I think there is a plan, but I'm waiting to see what happens at the deadline and then in free agency to get a real sense of his actual timeline.
First, will he gain prospects, picks, assets by taking on dead salary at the deadline. You know playoff teams will want to do this, dump salary, and they have the cap room, not sure how ownership feels about that plan as it costs money for future gain.
Second, will he use that cap room effectively in free agency to fill in the gaps. Reckless spending won't be good, but it definitely provides an opportunity to speed things up.
I fully expect them to unload a LOT of depth type players and D men at the deadline but we shall see what happens.

Francis will be measured by his success in doing the above, but he will also be measured by how well he does in the lottery and if we get Wright, all will be forgiven.

I agree, you can't assess Francis until after the deadline. If he lands some good picks, possibly a nice prospect and uses his capspace wisely then his grade will he improved. If he gets weak returns, doesn't take advantage of hid capspace and keeps guys he should have moved he'll look bad. But from his time in Carolina he was good at deadline trading.

Reactions: GrungeHockey

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
If Francis had a " good " plan his team wouldn't be on pace for a 57 point season. He made some terrible mistakes on the blue line in particular on free agents. Larsson 4 years @ 4 million a year and Oleksiak 5 years @ 4.6 million ? Has he ever watched those players or did he just buy what the fancy stats expert told him? Dunn? I watched that guy go from phenom to can't get him out of town soon enough in STL. Another 4 million for 2 years. Thank god Giordano's contract expires at the end of this season. Hayden Fleury? The league at all sorts of options better at the position and these are just some of the junk Francis bought.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If Francis had a " good " plan his team wouldn't be on pace for a 57 point season. He made some terrible mistakes on the blue line in particular on free agents. Larsson 4 years @ 4 million a year and Oleksiak 5 years @ 4.6 million ? Has he ever watched those players or did he just buy what the fancy stats expert told him? Dunn? I watched that guy go from phenom to can't get him out of town soon enough in STL. Another 4 million for 2 years. Thank god Giordano's contract expires at the end of this season. Hayden Fleury? The league at all sorts of options better at the position and these are just some of the junk Francis bought.
Yup, too much reliance on stat guys and not enough scouting. My biggest issue though was he wasn't willing to take chances on Tarasenko and Domi but spent that money on Grubby instead.

I quit watching games, probably won't watch next season either. I've watched the Caps rebuild and the Red Wings going through it now. I'm not committed to watching another rebuild considering most of these players will be gone by the time this team makes the playoffs.

You'll never get any of these fans to admit Francis screwed up though. They crucified me for criticizing the expansion draft.

Reactions: larueskee

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

- Did you read any of the articles written around Francis plan and the analytics or are you mainly here to complain?

His plan was not just for this season. His plan is to set the team up for long term. He admitted that he expected better results this year but his plan, again, extends beyond the first season for the franchise.

- Have you watched Dunn, Oleksiak or Larsson play this season?
You will not see Kraken fans, atleast on this board, really be unhappy about any of these signings. They only complaint, if any, about those signings is if they fit within the long term goal for the team.

Our D have actually looked great individually. If there is one complaint most of us have about Francis, it is him hiring Hakstol as the head coach. Personally, I am all about second chances and was fine with it at that time but am starting to see why Flyers fans were so vocally unhappy about him.
Yup, too much reliance on stat guys and not enough scouting. My biggest issue though was he wasn't willing to take chances on Tarasenko and Domi but spent that money on Grubby instead.

I quit watching games, probably won't watch next season either. I've watched the Caps rebuild and the Red Wings going through it now. I'm not committed to watching another rebuild considering most of these players will be gone by the time this team makes the playoffs.

You'll never get any of these fans to admit Francis screwed up though. They crucified me for criticizing the expansion draft.
Man. Way to play the victim here. Tarasenko was injured and not playing very well before this season. Same with Domi. Sure those decisions look bad now but hindsight is 20/20.

Folks here have been vocal enough and questioned some decisions Francis has made but less than half a season into the franchise is way too early to proclaim such a doom and gloom scenario for the Kraken. The upcoming TDL, draft and off-season will give us a better idea on how Francis is planning to build the team moving forward.

Nobody is forcing you watch games and that is your personal opinion BTW.

larueskee

Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
- Did you read any of the articles written around Francis plan and the analytics or are you mainly here to complain?

His plan was not just for this season. His plan is to set the team up for long term. He admitted that he expected better results this year but his plan, again, extends beyond the first season for the franchise.

- Have you watched Dunn, Oleksiak or Larsson play this season?
You will not see Kraken fans, atleast on this board, really be unhappy about any of these signings. They only complaint, if any, about those signings is if they fit within the long term goal for the team.

Our D have actually looked great individually. If there is one complaint most of us have about Francis, it is him hiring Hakstol as the head coach. Personally, I am all about second chances and was fine with it at that time but am starting to see why Flyers fans were so vocally unhappy about him.

Man. Way to play the victim here. Tarasenko was injured and not playing very well before this season. Same with Domi. Sure those decisions look bad now but hindsight is 20/20.

Folks here have been vocal enough and questioned some decisions Francis has made but less than half a season into the franchise is way too early to proclaim such a doom and gloom scenario for the Kraken. The upcoming TDL, draft and off-season will give us a better idea on how Francis is planning to build the team moving forward.

Its pretty much he opinion around the league that the team has failed in its first year. Its pretty much the opinion around the league that this project became a more than 5 year project after seeing the results. I have been around and follow other teams so it doesn't matter much to me. I feel sorry for those that spent good money on this product and now are seeing just how bad it is. The reality is that once fans sold the arena out you trap the entire city. No need to try and improve until fans quit blowing money on a terrible product.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Its pretty much he opinion around the league that the team has failed in its first year. Its pretty much the opinion around the league that this project became a more than 5 year project after seeing the results. I have been around and follow other teams so it doesn't matter much to me. I feel sorry for those that spent good money on this product and now are seeing just how bad it is. The reality is that once fans sold the arena out you trap the entire city. No need to try and improve until fans quit blowing money on a terrible product.
What is your intent here? You are not a fan and you really don't care (your words) so why come here and crap on the team and Francis?

Also, it is borderline ridiculous for you to say that the team won't improve because the fans sold the arena out? We are not Ottawa or Buffalo. The team is spending money on the team and have permission to spend to the cap. You are making predictions based on exactly what?

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA

lame.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I agree, and after the novelty of having a hockey team wears off the stands will wind up being empty like the pre-COVID Red Wings. Officially they were sold out because a lot of the seats are owned by corporations, but they were empty. That's when Francis gets fired.

I'm not playing victim, and you proved my point. I've watched enough rebuilds to know this is a team that's at least 5 years from the playoffs. I'll see you guys then.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

It's obvious you don't watch the Kraken play, so why are you posting about them as if you are an expert?

You think Larsson at 4x4 is a terrible choice from Edmonton in the draft? Who should they have taken, Turris? Kahun? Neal?

Oleksiak has been a great stabilizing influence and his play has been extremely solid. As someone that criticized the signing the day it happened, I have since eaten crow and admitted I was wrong.

Dunn has been solid, and his skillset is desperately needed on this team. The games that he has been out he has been clearly missed. And, the thing about Dunn, is that he's gotten better at both ends of the ice as the season has gone on.

Tarasenko was a huge risk with a giant contract, and if you honestly think he's be having the same type of season on this talently challenged Seattle team that he is having with that loaded St Louis forward group, you're kidding yourself.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I agree, and after the novelty of having a hockey team wears off the stands will wind up being empty like the pre-COVID Red Wings. Officially they were sold out because a lot of the seats are owned by corporations, but they were empty. That's when Francis gets fired.

I'm not playing victim, and you proved my point. I've watched enough rebuilds to know this is a team that's at least 5 years from the playoffs. I'll see you guys then.

Once the expansion lists were released, it was obvious there was no way Seattle was going to replicate what Vegas did. Anyone that believed that was a realistic option was delusional.

As someone that was in the bay area for the inauguration of the San Jose Sharks and witnessed their attendance success first hand despite their atrocious on ice product and it being a non-traditional market, I disagree.

Seattle has all the feel of that situation with the corporate ticket sales, community excitement, and early interest. This is not Atlanta.

larueskee

Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
It's obvious you don't watch the Kraken play, so why are you posting about them as if you are an expert?

You think Larsson at 4x4 is a terrible choice from Edmonton in the draft? Who should they have taken, Turris? Kahun? Neal?

Oleksiak has been a great stabilizing influence and his play has been extremely solid. As someone that criticized the signing the day it happened, I have since eaten crow and admitted I was wrong.

Dunn has been solid, and his skillset is desperately needed on this team. The games that he has been out he has been clearly missed. And, the thing about Dunn, is that he's gotten better at both ends of the ice as the season has gone on.

Tarasenko was a huge risk with a giant contract, and if you honestly think he's be having the same type of season on this talently challenged Seattle team that he is having with that loaded St Louis forward group, you're kidding yourself.
Who should they have taken? Well there were plenty of options but I'll stick to defense since the general consensus is you build from the goalie out. I disagree with that consensus and would prefer you build from the defense out. A couple of points I would like to make first. I am big on net results, not gross statistics. a net result would be something like goal differential. The most important stat is goal differential for a team. Obviously you win more games with a net positive than with a net negative. With that out of the way lets discuss a gross stat like takeaways. A great defensive defensemen might have a higher turnover than takeaway ratio because he is giving up possession in high danger situations. Like a quick chip out of the zone at his blue line. Now that takes me plus minus for a defensemen. A net stat that tells you who is on the ice for goals for and against. Now lets talk about a few d men i would have went after. Ryan Suter was available after being cut loose from Minnesota. He signed a deal for basically the same money as Larsson. Suter is I believe one of the top 5 active NHL players in career plus minus at plus 103. Another guy I would have signed and will be on the market this year is Ian Cole. A unbelievable career plus minus player at plus 124 with 2 Stanley Cups. Cole is gettin 2,900,000 for this season only. He is currently at plus 8. There thats one third of your starting line up at less money than and with decent players. i wiull add that these guys should have been offered in free agency. The guys the Kraken picked in the expansion draft should have been used as trade bait.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
lol, quitting watching a first year expansion team after half a season. If that isn't the definition of a fair weather fan I don't know what is.

Vegas was an anomaly that wasn't going to be repeated. What you want out of a first year team is the establishment of a culture, a team identity and a core to work from. I think they have done that. team is unified, tenacious, and hard working. They don't quit. This is a good base.

Now you add the key free agents and draft picks and get better each year and when the kids blossom you have your successful team. That's the formula. Give it time.

Having said all that I am not sure Hakstol was a great choice when Gallant and Boudreau were both available but we shall see.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
lol, quitting watching a first year expansion team after half a season. If that isn't the definition of a fair weather fan I don't know what is.

Vegas was an anomaly that wasn't going to be repeated. What you want out of a first year team is the establishment of a culture, a team identity and a core to work from. I think they have done that. team is unified, tenacious, and hard working. They don't quit. This is a good base.

Now you add the key free agents and draft picks and get better each year and when the kids blossom you have your successful team. That's the formula. Give it time.

Having said all that I am not sure Hakstol was a great choice when Gallant and Boudreau were both available but we shall see.

Gallant didnt want to be here.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

larueskee

Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA

I usually quit watching after they give up the lead. Look it, this team won't be corrected by any one draft choice. This season is lost and there aren't many players on this team that any team would want. It didn't have to be this way but today you have the Mariners redux.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Who should they have taken? Well there were plenty of options but I'll stick to defense since the general consensus is you build from the goalie out. I disagree with that consensus and would prefer you build from the defense out. A couple of points I would like to make first. I am big on net results, not gross statistics. a net result would be something like goal differential. The most important stat is goal differential for a team. Obviously you win more games with a net positive than with a net negative. With that out of the way lets discuss a gross stat like takeaways. A great defensive defensemen might have a higher turnover than takeaway ratio because he is giving up possession in high danger situations. Like a quick chip out of the zone at his blue line. Now that takes me plus minus for a defensemen. A net stat that tells you who is on the ice for goals for and against. Now lets talk about a few d men i would have went after. Ryan Suter was available after being cut loose from Minnesota. He signed a deal for basically the same money as Larsson. Suter is I believe one of the top 5 active NHL players in career plus minus at plus 103. Another guy I would have signed and will be on the market this year is Ian Cole. A unbelievable career plus minus player at plus 124 with 2 Stanley Cups. Cole is gettin 2,900,000 for this season only. He is currently at plus 8. There thats one third of your starting line up at less money than and with decent players. i wiull add that these guys should have been offered in free agency. The guys the Kraken picked in the expansion draft should have been used as trade bait.
The fact that you are looking at +/- to point out the players we should have gone after tells me all I need to know. Thanks for this post.

larueskee

Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
The fact that you are looking at +/- to point out the players we should have gone after tells me all I need to know. Thanks for this post.
I suppose you are one those guys that sit on the spectator side of things and actually believe a player can just jump on the ice before his team scores a goal. I have seen guys get assists on defensive breakouts that get off the ice and lose a plus but get a assist but rarely does a player get a freebie like you imagine. If it happens it happens by accident and isn't common. Like goal differential, plus minus is a net stat.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I suppose you are one those guys that sit on the spectator side of things and actually believe a player can just jump on the ice before his team scores a goal. I have seen guys get assists on defensive breakouts that get off the ice and lose a plus but get a assist but rarely does a player get a freebie like you imagine. If it happens it happens by accident and isn't common. Like goal differential, plus minus is a net stat.

Sure. That is what I meant ... o_O

Not really. My point is throwing +/- out there without context means nothing.

Also, you mentioned things like, go after Suter. He is 36 years old, has been on the decline and recently bought out by the Wild. How does he fit this team? Did he even want to join an expansion team as an FA? None of us have no idea and you are just doing pure speculation here.

Do you honestly think a player like Suter over the likes of Larsson or Oleksiak would have made much, if any, difference on this team? You are basing your hypothesis over career +/- which is a flawed stat. But then again, you have already shat on analytics so that is not very surprising to me.

Also, yes, I sit on the spectator side of things. As do you, unless you are an NHL player. But I don't quit on this team when they go down or lose the team. While I do agree with you that this season is lost, it may end up netting us a top-5 pick which is going to be a lot better for the future than acquiring the likes of Ian Cole or Ryan Suter. You will not find anyone here who is NOT disappointed about the season. We expected better but we were prepared for the eventuality that this team was going to be a bad team and not compete till 2023. I would be shocked if anyone here expected us to be like Vegas.

People act like we are defending Ron Francis, when in actuality all we are doing is holding off passing judgement less than half way through our first season. I have liked some of the things he has done, and disliked others. But in my mind he deserves to go through atleast 1 full season + draft to see where the roster stands at that point. If this team is not a playoff team by 2023 or at the cusp of being a playoff team by then, I will join you in asking GMRF to be fired. That may happen even sooner if GMRF makes more suspect decision in the upcoming off-season and this TDL. But till then, I will be patient and deal with the sorrow of my team being a terrible expansion team.

larueskee

Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA

Also, you mentioned things like, go after Suter. He is 36 years old, has been on the decline and recently bought out by the Wild. How does he fit this team? Did he even want to join an expansion team as an FA? None of us have no idea and you are just doing pure speculation here.

Do you honestly think a player like Suter over the likes of Larsson or Oleksiak would have made much, if any, difference on this team? You are basing your hypothesis over career +/- which is a flawed stat. But then again, you have already shat on analytics so that is not very surprising to me.

Also, yes, I sit on the spectator side of things. As do you, unless you are an NHL player. But I don't quit on this team when they go down or lose the team. While I do agree with you that this season is lost, it may end up netting us a top-5 pick which is going to be a lot better for the future than acquiring the likes of Ian Cole or Ryan Suter. You will not find anyone here who is NOT disappointed about the season. We expected better but we were prepared for the eventuality that this team was going to be a bad team and not compete till 2023. I would be shocked if anyone here expected us to be like Vegas.

People act like we are defending Ron Francis, when in actuality all we are doing is holding off passing judgement less than half way through our first season. I have liked some of the things he has done, and disliked others. But in my mind he deserves to go through atleast 1 full season + draft to see where the roster stands at that point. If this team is not a playoff team by 2023 or at the cusp of being a playoff team by then, I will join you in asking GMRF to be fired. That may happen even sooner if GMRF makes more suspect decision in the upcoming off-season and this TDL. But till then, I will be patient and deal with the sorrow of my team being a terrible expansion team.
Yes I do think a 36 year old with a career plus minus like Suter would have been a better option than Larsson. Suter has been a team leader on some pretty decent teams and would be a voice in the room. The nearly 100 plus minus difference in the two exhibits a responsibility that few d men have. I have not advocate for any firings yet but it appears that there is a lack of any plan beyond saying there is a plan. For context I suggest you read this article/interview from Greg Wyshynski @ESPN You might enjoy here : Kraken GM Ron Francis on what's gone wrong, plans for the future

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yes I do think a 36 year old with a career plus minus like Suter would have been a better option than Larsson. Suter has been a team leader on some pretty decent teams and would be a voice in the room. The nearly 100 plus minus difference in the two exhibits a responsibility that few d men have. I have not advocate for any firings yet but it appears that there is a lack of any plan beyond saying there is a plan. For context I suggest you read this article/interview from Greg Wyshynski @ESPN You might enjoy here : Kraken GM Ron Francis on what's gone wrong, plans for the future
I have read the article already.

Also, I feel that there are fundamental differences between how you would build a team and how I would. Not going to bother anymore debating with you because you are too enamored with your +/- stat. Just to give you a quick example.

Giordano currently has a career +/- of +88. But he has been -13 this season with the Kraken. Basically he has a +/- of +101 before this season. Oleksiak on the same team this season, is +1. Context is everything.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA

Right, to the highlighted especially. While I think it's far too early to pass blanket judgment on the GM or even the coaching to a lesser extent, if you held a gun to my head right now and made me judge their jobs thus far it would be overwhelmingly negative. However, In the history of the NHL, I believe only 1 expansion team has ever been successful (one could argue Florida as well and I would understand). As it is though, particularly for the GM, there is a lot more at play than simple results on the ice.

It's overwhelmingly obvious to most of us on here that there are two major concerns and one minor concern. The minor being goal scoring (it's not great, but also not absolutely dire) and the majors being the performance in goal, and the other being coaching. On the latter, it's clear we're seeing very alarming patterns emerge in the other two. While it's difficult to pin down the root cause, it is rather telling that it's generally across the board in these areas, thus pointing toward coaching. As such, I think most of us are getting to the point of passing some judgment regarding coaching.

The GM is another deal entirely. It's a long term job, not a short term job. Injuries happen that you can't predict, bad contracts are signed by nearly every team in the NHL, but you never know until it's too late. We know what ours MIGHT be, but the sample size is too small. As you look beyond the expansion draft, which sure, some other players could have been picked, but the value we got for a vast majority of those players chosen really wasn't too bad. It's not like we're paying 4m a year to Haydn Fleury, Riley Sheahan or Max McCormick. You know what I mean?

If you break down players that Seattle actually signed, didn't just PICK, you've got a shorter list to scrutinize as to the merit of their signing. However, before that it's worth noting that none of the contracts PICKED are really very bad at all, but there were plenty of bad contracts available in the expansion draft.

Now... for those contracts the Kraken DID sign.

Larsson 4x4
Oleksiak 4x4.6
Grubauer 6x5.9
Driedger 3x3.5
Dunn 2x4 (though he was picked as an RFA, but didn't sign for minimum, so there's something to scrutinize)
Donato 1x0.75
Sheahan 1x0.75
McCormick 1x0.75
Wennberg 3x4.5
Schwartz 5x5.5
Johansson 1x1.5

Obviously we're all sweating profusely about 2 of them, both of the goaltenders. If you aren't, you're not watching, but the rest of those contracts are very fair value and some are quite good. Obviously Donato has outperformed expectations of a league minimum contract. Schwartz, being injured is a worry and he's clearly missed, but at the same time.. for the production he's had and the effort he's put in, he's being paid in the right zone (See Eberle). Wennberg, while a high dollar value for his production is also on a shorter deal. It's not as if he's overpaid though. He's a role player and is playing his role and being paid for it. As for the rest. They are right where they should be. Oleksiak and Larsson, even in the eye test are good veteran defensemen... who generally get deals exactly like theirs, hell, I'm of the opinion Oleksiak could have gotten a little (LITTLE) more.

Then... we talk about the coaching and that's where we all start questioning the GM decisions. You poach most of the Maple Leafs assistant coaching staff and hire the goalie coach from Buffalo... Ok... but why? Not one of us isn't concerned about this... but it's been 35 games. We're right on the cusp, no question, but what other options were there? Did Francis take a risk with somebody inexperienced at the NHL level? Did He go with one of the other, generally not desirable options that we learned were candidates? Was Boudreau an option? Did they interview guys that signed with other teams before Hakstol was announced? We don't know, and probably never will. Jury's still out, but jury is deliberating.

dylanmacarthur

RonFrancis dēlenda est
Nov 8, 2013
It's hard to argue Francis has done a good job. What was his strategy? It seemed like he was trying to build a winning team with the FA (especially goalie) signings, but then he leaves a bunch of great expansion picks on the table to maintain flexibility.

Go all in on winning or all in on losing. He tried to split the baby and left us with a terrible squad and no cupboard. Even if we planned on tanking why not take some high value guys in expansion draft and move them to contenders for picks.....

Francis is a joke IMO.

dylanmacarthur

RonFrancis dēlenda est
Nov 8, 2013

You didn't watch him in Carolina in guess. He will sit tight at the trade deadline. Maybe a few small moves.

He is a terrible GM. Should be fired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad