Ron Francis

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Buffalo and Detroit are in full tank mode. They can literally sign guys off the street for the league minimum and still have more cap space than Seattle. My point is if cap space is so important and Seattle is going to fully leverage it. They have 2 other teams who they have to compete with and general managers who are more competent than Francis.
Detroit is not in tank mode, they just traded for Leddy and Nedeljkovic and have Seider coming up. They're trying to build up, not selling assets. Mantha was a hockey trade, they got Vrana and a 1st back. The team is going to barely be at the cap floor after signing all the RFAs, so there's a chance the team could eat a contract, but only if it's 2 years or less.

Buffalo is selling their biggest assets, they're in full rebuild mode as are the Preds and Yotes.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
A few things here. No exactly glowing for Francis

1. Sporting News Draft grades. Telling, the comment in quotes.

The Kraken kicked off their first-ever NHL Draft as expected, selecting top-forward Beniers to build their prospect pool around. After this pick though, the Kraken’s draft was less than exciting. They made Ryker Evans the first overager off the board, taking him much earlier than expected. Ryan Winterton could be a good depth player as well. (Overall, the Kraken left a lot of skill on the table in their first draft), but Beniers could be good enough to carry the class.

2. Freidman....
The second rumor is the isles wanted Seattle to retain $3m on Taransenko's contract. No mention about what the isles would have sent Seattle.

WOW. Francis most likely could have had Dunn and Tarasenko from the Blues, flipped Vladi to the Isles and got draft picks. No matter what the compensation, it appears that Francis again left major assets on the table. Unthinkable just how conservative GMRF is operating.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
A few things here. No exactly glowing for Francis

1. Sporting News Draft grades. Telling, the comment in quotes.

The Kraken kicked off their first-ever NHL Draft as expected, selecting top-forward Beniers to build their prospect pool around. After this pick though, the Kraken’s draft was less than exciting. They made Ryker Evans the first overager off the board, taking him much earlier than expected. Ryan Winterton could be a good depth player as well. (Overall, the Kraken left a lot of skill on the table in their first draft), but Beniers could be good enough to carry the class.

2. Freidman....
The second rumor is the isles wanted Seattle to retain $3m on Taransenko's contract. No mention about what the isles would have sent Seattle.

WOW. Francis most likely could have had Dunn and Tarasenko from the Blues, flipped Vladi to the Isles and got draft picks. No matter what the compensation, it appears that Francis again left major assets on the table. Unthinkable just how conservative GMRF is operating.

Not exactly. The idea was to get Tank in the expansion draft, retain on him and flip him to the Isles. Francis preferred to not do that and just preferred having Dunn for FREE than get involved in a side trade for Tank the value for which we do NOT even know.

As far as the draft goes, I cannot speak for others but I am fairly happy with it. Ryker was a reach but Francis was very transparent about WHY they picked him. In this draft, a lot of players that Francis bet on are the ones with stalled/missed development due to COVID. He bet on the fact that they will continue to get better which only time will tell.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Maybe Francis might not have gotten Dunn , but no doubt compensation from the Islanders and Blues was left on the table.
For the price of $3 million. Right now unless trades are made, the free agent pool of players willing to sign for the Kraken on offense is weak. Also, third contracts to free agents are usually expensive in cost and term. Lets all hope Francis has been saving his energy and time to make trades to find at least one center . Quite frankly he has been asleep for the expansion and entry level drafts.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Maybe Francis might not have gotten Dunn , but no doubt compensation from the Islanders and Blues was left on the table.
For the price of $3 million. Right now unless trades are made, the free agent pool of players willing to sign for the Kraken on offense is weak. Also, third contracts to free agents are usually expensive in cost and term. Lets all hope Francis has been saving his energy and time to make trades to find at least one center . Quite frankly he has been asleep for the expansion and entry level drafts.

I think Ron Francis has made it pretty clear that you have to make it worth for him to take on $$. Pretty sure he felt that the value the Isles offered for retaining 3M x 2 was not worth it.

As far as getting a top-6 C is concerned, I agree with you. That needs to get filled either via trade or FA. The truth is that we could use two more top-6 forwards right now, with atleast one of them being a C.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
If they get Schwartz at a low term contract that would help. As said before they probably over pay for him. Strome could be a #2 center if they trade for him. The Rags are going to loose him after next season so GMRF might try to get a good trade deal. Yet, he isn't the best defensively. Kuzentzov would be a great pick up. Others, that might work could be Bozak ( sound defensively) and Kadri ( who plays a good #2 center) besides his on ice antics. He might be available if they resign Landeskog. Lots of dominos to fall. If Tarasenko is moved, the Blues might look to Saad ( free agent) and resign Hoffman ( who is great addition on the PP). Rangers to move Strome now, might need to add a top free agent or trade for one. Lots of other teams need center help as well. So there is competition as always for centers.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If they get Schwartz at a low term contract that would help. As said before they probably over pay for him. Strome could be a #2 center if they trade for him. The Rags are going to loose him after next season so GMRF might try to get a good trade deal. Yet, he isn't the best defensively. Kuzentzov would be a great pick up. Others, that might work could be Bozak ( sound defensively) and Kadri ( who plays a good #2 center) besides his on ice antics. He might be available if they resign Landeskog. Lots of dominos to fall. If Tarasenko is moved, the Blues might look to Saad ( free agent) and resign Hoffman ( who is great addition on the PP). Rangers to move Strome now, might need to add a top free agent or trade for one. Lots of other teams need center help as well. So there is competition as always for centers.
Kuz isn't Francis' type of player. Likes to party. Tested positive for cocaine, suspended by the team for being late to a meeting. Not the kind of player you build a team on.

Samsonov was late to the same meeting, I think that's why they're trying to trade him. Bad influence on younger players.

BeniersIsKraken

2022-23 Adopted Kraken: Matty Beniers
Jul 24, 2021
A bit late to the party, but I think it's still far too early to judge RF. He's operating in an entirely different situation than Vegas did and teams now have more experience with the expansion draft and what Vegas did to exploit other teams.

I'm assuming he's taking the long game approach and is trying to capitalize the flat cap environment where there'll undoubtedly be teams that need to ship off players to clear cap room and will add in picks to entice teams to take those players. We'll also have considerably more cap space entering FA than Vegas did and may look to convert that space to a big signing or two.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Buffalo, Coyotes, Anaheim & New Jersey are four who are guarenteed to suck bad enough to be at the bottom 4 that it would be very hard to out Tank them if they sell off vets.
Then you have the 'wild card' Tank teams such as Nashville, Calgary, San Jose, Ottawa who may sell assets this offseason or trade deadline to tank.
LA appears to be gearing up for improving with getting Arvidsson and possibly Kuznetsov.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
lf half the rumours are true, New Jersey is actually trying to put together a competitive team. They still have a lot of cap space and one of the best dollar per open spot amounts out there. They can compete for big names... whether they do or not is the question.

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
I think Ron Francis has made it pretty clear that you have to make it worth for him to take on $$. Pretty sure he felt that the value the Isles offered for retaining 3M x 2 was not worth it.

As far as getting a top-6 C is concerned, I agree with you. That needs to get filled either via trade or FA. The truth is that we could use two more top-6 forwards right now, with atleast one of them being a C.

Does Francis realize he cannot carry over cap space year to year?

The odds of him being able to efficiently max cap space on active roster this year is near zero. To get to max cap he’d have to overpay by millions. So he is going to have left over cap space. By treating that cap space like gold he runs the risk of getting zero for it.

At some point Francis has to realize something is better than nothing. Or perhaps he’s not authorized to spend to cap or weaponize cap?

BeniersIsKraken

2022-23 Adopted Kraken: Matty Beniers
Jul 24, 2021

The odds of him being able to efficiently max cap space on active roster this year is near zero. To get to max cap he’d have to overpay by millions. So he is going to have left over cap space. By treating that cap space like gold he runs the risk of getting zero for it.

At some point Francis has to realize something is better than nothing. Or perhaps he’s not authorized to spend to cap or weaponize cap?

He technically has until the trade deadline to maximize the cap space for the season. While it’s important to maximize the cap year to year, it’s also not smart to tie yourself down to big, lengthy contracts that will severely handicap you in the years to come, especially in a flat cap environment.

Patience, young Padawan.

Reactions: MindRiot

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

It is easy for us as fans to sit back and criticize GMs for not taking on cap-dumps and picking up extra draft capital because it isn't our money. Tarasenko is making 9.5 million this season, so it isn't like that 6 million in retention would just be cap that Seattle isn't using.

Someone has to actually pay the 6 million

The draft picks are far from a sure thing, so it's gambling with the owners money.

I have a feeling that having just spent close to 2 billion for the team and the arena, Leiweke may not be super hot on buying crapshot draft picks for cash before the team has seen a single dime from gate revenue.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It is easy for us as fans to sit back and criticize GMs for not taking on cap-dumps and picking up extra draft capital because it isn't our money. Tarasenko is making 9.5 million this season, so it isn't like that 6 million in retention would just be cap that Seattle isn't using.

Someone has to actually pay the 6 million

The draft picks are far from a sure thing, so it's gambling with the owners money.

I have a feeling that having just spent close to 2 billion for the team and the arena, Leiweke may not be super hot on buying crapshot draft picks for cash before the team has seen a single dime from gate revenue.
They're sold out but they won't stay that way without a competitive team. I lived in Colorado when the Avs moved.... then of course the attendance dropped when the team sucked.

There are very few markets where the team can suck and still sell out the arena. Places like Detroit (because a lot of auto suppliers buy seats for their clients), Toronto, NYR, etc.

If the Kraken wind up being a salary cap floor team for a few years, you'll start seeing empty seats quickly.

Reactions: Irie

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Empty seats means cheaper seats. I don't know why everybody complains about that. Yeah, I want a good team, but FUUUUUU are the seats expensive. The Islanders and Devils have had good teams (not at the same time) and yet, empty, cheap seats.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
They're sold out but they won't stay that way without a competitive team. I lived in Colorado when the Avs moved.... then of course the attendance dropped when the team sucked.

There are very few markets where the team can suck and still sell out the arena. Places like Detroit (because a lot of auto suppliers buy seats for their clients), Toronto, NYR, etc.

If the Kraken wind up being a salary cap floor team for a few years, you'll start seeing empty seats quickly.

Good point about season tix, they have seen some revenue, but that doesn't change that leiweke has spent close to 2 billion, I have a feeling he isn't super eager to buy a late first for 6 million dollars.

The Avs were good for 10 years and won 2 cups after coming from Quebec before they stunk, so I think Denver fans were a bit spoiled, and the novelty had definitely worn off.... And, their tank coincided with the start of the 2007 depression, I think that may have been a bigger factor than their record.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Good point about season tix, they have seen some revenue, but that doesn't change that leiweke has spent close to 2 billion, I have a feeling he isn't super eager to buy a late first for 6 million dollars.

The Avs were good for 10 years and won 2 cups after coming from Quebec before they stunk, so I think Denver fans were a bit spoiled, and the novelty had definitely worn off.... And, their tank coincided with the start of the 2007 depression, I think that may have been a bigger factor than their record.
Spoiled rotten. The fans in attendance didn't even know the rules, and they won the Cup.

The novelty wears off quick when the team sucks, especially with another team within driving distance.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Spoiled rotten. The fans in attendance didn't even know the rules, and they won the Cup.

The novelty wears off quick when the team sucks, especially with another team within driving distance.

I think they should get an easy 3 year window of freebie draw from the novelty, and when added with corporate ticket packages, I think the franchise has some time to slow build this thing,

That is all dependent on the economy and Covid though. If the Economy goes belly up in a year or two, then Seattle will have a lot of empty seats, but so will every franchise.

I am a bit concerned about Covid now. It has the border closed again and looks to be escalating, and October is predicted to be pretty bad, (just as the season is just starting). If the border is closed again, and Seattle's arena isn't quite finished, do they get stuck playing in the North to make it an 8 team division? Or does the league go 7-8-8-9 with their divisions?

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I’m fairly confident that vaccinated players and staff will be allowed to cross borders. The NHL can assure the vaccinated players. Those that decide not to, frankly, can f*** off. If they want to be valuable to their team, get a vaccine.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

Something isn't always better than nothing and I think in the case of a brand new franchise spending up to the cap, especially on other teams bad contracts, is just as risky as leaving cap dollars unspent. Being conservative may not be the glamorous thing for GMRF to be out of the gate but may be the most prudent in the long run.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I’m fairly confident that vaccinated players and staff will be allowed to cross borders. The NHL can assure the vaccinated players. Those that decide not to, frankly, can f*** off. If they want to be valuable to their team, get a vaccine.
If the border is closed for pandemic protocol like last year, they are not going to allow hockey teams, coaches and training staff to cross, vaccine or not. This is a very real possibility again.

Have to wonder if the league has discussed this and has a contingency plan in case it happens.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If the border is closed for pandemic protocol like last year, they are not going to allow hockey teams, coaches and training staff to cross, vaccine or not. This is a very real possibility again.

Have to wonder if the league has discussed this and has a contingency plan in case it happens.
I'm sure they have, the border is still closed.

I haven't seen my Canadian friends since the previous winter, but at least the lines at Costco are short especially at the gas station.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Picked a player, didn't get Columbus to incentivize by adding a pick. Didn't trade him for value. Let him walk, where he re-signed with the team he was taken from.

Reactions: ultra63

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Picked a player, didn't get Columbus to incentivize by adding a pick. Didn't trade him for value. Let him walk, where he re-signed with the team he was taken from.
CBJ fan here - I'd equate this to just whiffing on a late round pick. It's not a big deal.

Bayreuther was playing above Kukan to end the season. No idea why, they were both bad, but I could see how that makes Bayreuther look better.

Additionally, Kivlenieks passing away and opting to protect Robinson over Domi may have been a bit of a curveball.

I wouldn't read too much into this. Maybe you guys get Kukan or Stenlund instead and turn them into a 4th/5th rounder later on but again no big deal.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
CBJ fan here - I'd equate this to just whiffing on a late round pick. It's not a big deal.

Bayreuther was playing above Kukan to end the season. No idea why, they were both bad, but I could see how that makes Bayreuther look better.

Additionally, Kivlenieks passing away and opting to protect Robinson over Domi may have been a bit of a curveball.

I wouldn't read too much into this. Maybe you guys get Kukan or Stenlund instead and turn them into a 4th/5th rounder later on but again no big deal.

I appreciate the input. The point remains is there are a lot of whiffs from Francis that, singularly, don't mean much. As an aggregate, though, it's not an inspiring start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad