Romanov has gotten too soft

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Even if I didn’t agree with your post (though I do) I’d have to give it a like just for the entertainment value.
Truth be told I didn’t find it too entertaining. Kind of like being addressed by Don Rickles. Everyone else might find it entertaining but you.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Truth be told I didn’t find it too entertaining. Kind of like being addressed by Don Rickles. Everyone else might find it entertaining but you.
IMG_2138.jpeg

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
A little OT but speaking of Don I recently looked up one his youtube videos, "Don Rickles Most Offensive Jokes" and found myself embarrassingly laughing my head off. How we got away with that stuff simply amazes me. But given today's environment Rickles harks back to a time when we could all just laugh at each other and not be offended. Good times.

Reactions: Lek

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
A little OT but speaking of Don I recently looked up one his youtube videos, "Don Rickles Most Offensive Jokes" and found myself embarrassingly laughing my head off. How we got away with that stuff simply amazes me. But given today's environment Rickles harks back to a time when we could all just laugh at each other and not be offended. Good times.
People who grew up in the melting pot could laugh at Don Rickles.

People who are surrounded by people just like them are offended by him.

Go figure.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
So... you had something to do with it?
Are you serious? Why would you even think that? I think it was just obvious the direction the team had to go which begs the question why was it so difficult for a few of you to see this? Groupthink?

Lambert lurks on this message board, and his posts gave Lambert the confidence to unleash Barzal
Clearly Lambert can think for himself. I’m just glad we think alike and you know what they say about great minds…. The other part of that adage is “fools seldom differ”. Which one of those two options do you belong?

Ok I’m gloating now. I’ll endeavor to do better- someday.

Last edited:

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I'll focus on the one part of the OP I agree with - overall the Islanders are way too passive in letting the opposing team enter their zone. I would like to see the defense - as a unit - step up more and contest the entry. As a whole, they seem to sit back far too often and let the other team gain possession far too easily. I like big hits as much as the next guy but thats not necessarily what I need/want. I'd like to see the whole team -including forwards - make it much more difficult to gain entry. Even if we don't see the huge hip check of years past, I'd like to see the forwards close off the boards and make the puck carrier dump it in as opposed to ballerina-ing in our zone without resistance.

As far as big hits from Romanov, sure I'd like to see more, but overall, I'll trade his hitting prowess for being positionally sound and good puck movement any day.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I'll focus on the one part of the OP I agree with - overall the Islanders are way too passive in letting the opposing team enter their zone. I would like to see the defense - as a unit - step up more and contest the entry. As a whole, they seem to sit back far too often and let the other team gain possession far too easily. I like big hits as much as the next guy but thats not necessarily what I need/want. I'd like to see the whole team -including forwards - make it much more difficult to gain entry. Even if we don't see the huge hip check of years past, I'd like to see the forwards close off the boards and make the puck carrier dump it in as opposed to ballerina-ing in our zone without resistance.

As far as big hits from Romanov, sure I'd like to see more, but overall, I'll trade his hitting prowess for being positionally sound and good puck movement any day.
I've been told here that's too much to ask of our forwards. It was too taxing on them when Trotz was here coaching that style. That kept our forwards from scoring at the other end of the ice.

So we'll just let it happen at the other end of the ice. Let the goalies bail us out. We have Sorokin and Varly...the best 1-2 punch of any team in net. They'll just have to pick themselves up and find another level to their games. :rolleyes:

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
The drop in physicality isn’t very noticeable. What’s more noticeable are his reads, positioning, shot blocking, and overall defensive stops.

which can possibly be a product of him not chasing or being out of position to make a hit.

Reactions: MJF

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011

This is fair and I agree.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Let's just Let this Kid Play and Grow.
Critiquing him now is pointless.
Let's see how he finishes this year, to me that will be telling of maybe his ceiling.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
This debacle against Pitt is exactly what I was referring to in the OP. They make it too easy to enter the zone and did everyone see how bad Dobson and Romanov were in the D zone? -5 for Dobson jeesh.

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like our defensive play (and record) has been better without Pulock/Pelech/Mayfield than with them so far. If so, thats kinda scary.
Not better tonight. Those 3 you mention haven’t spurred offense like Reilly does but they clear the crease. Tonight we again allowed anyone to get nose to nose with our goalie. That can’t happen. Guys can’t be allowed on the doorstep.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00