Romanov has gotten too soft

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I was reading in the paper how Romanov decided (or was coached) to play a more conservative style focusing more good positioning rather than going out of his way to make a hit. Overall, of course you want your defensemen to be playing smart hockey no one's going to argue against that, but the Isles gave away a first round pick for this guy and if he's not playing up to his game strengths why the hell did we acquire him? Romanov is falling under the same mistake that hampered Barzal under Trotz for the past 4 years- not playing up to his individual strengths.

The problem with the Isles right now is their defense. They are making it far too easy for opposing teams to enter the D-zone unimpeded especially late in the game and as we have seen particularly when they have a lead. This is the time when someone like Romanov needs to literally step up and make a big well timed hit to get into the opposing team that getting the scored tied up is not going to be an easy task. He's got the talent for making these timely big hits and I'm not saying that he has to make these hits every shift or even every game, but when the time is right he has got to make it a point to make his presence felt. He's got to get into the opposing team's heads just like Barzal's ice capades (when done appropriately and at the right time) gets into the opponents heads. If he's not doing this he's pretty much just another dull defensemen and given the problems the Islanders are having now with defense that's not good place to be.

Lambert has got this D playing like a bunch of softees (I would have preferred a more explicit term but you know- the kids). Imagine a Kasparaitis without the physical game. Potvin is his time was known as one of the leagues fiercest hitters. Players were absolutely scared of him. Now, Romanov is no Kasparaitis nor is he Potvin, but he is able to make these types of hits from time to time and he should be doing it more often and not just playing positional D all the time especially doing what he has been doing lately and just turtling back towards the goaltender. Nobody fears him anymore. Watch Bortuzzi. The first shift he had as an Islander he runs right into and blows up the best player on the opposing team (Sabres?). He knows the game. He sends an immediate message to anyone watching that just because he's the new guy on the block he's not letting anyone get by him unmolested. That's what Romanov needs to do more of. Play with and edge. Be a little nasty.

This is what I want to see more from Romanov. (Not expecting the scoring of course)

Reactions: Barzaltrick

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Just say it. You love chess. Gimme more of that crap. Seriously you think Romanov has lived up to his billing? He's playing like a roll of Charmin.

I don't really like chess, and I have ADHD so I'm really bad at it. But even I would learn not to go wide on Romanov without center support. He absolutely crunched someone a few games ago. I think both benches cringed.

Romanov is just fine. If there's a thing I'd like him to do more of is to move his feet when he recovers the puck, and look for a good pass instead of reflexively throwing pucks towards the neutral zone. He's got a good enough first step to back off forecheckers.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I don't really like chess, and I have ADHD so I'm really bad at it. But even I would learn not to go wide on Romanov without center support. He absolutely crunched someone a few games ago. I think both benches cringed.

Romanov is just fine. If there's a thing I'd like him to do more of is to move his feet when he recovers the puck, and look for a good pass instead of reflexively throwing pucks towards the neutral zone. He's got a good enough first step to back off forecheckers.
Ok, perhaps I missed a couple of games, so if he is still doing this, then good. Just y'all do what you normally do and ignore me. Bwa haha There were a few games though when I thought he not positionally sound, too soft, falling down at awkward times, screening the goal tender, running away from the oncoming rusher like a scared little school girl, (and yes also mindlessly throwing the puck up the ice) and just being bad overall. But that was just a few times.

Last edited:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Rehab, this is one I have to disagree with you on.

In the first half of his first year here, he went for the hit and left his partner out to dry many times, which is why the Dobson pairing last year was abandoned. In the second half, he really started to pick his spots better learning from Pulock. This year, his play is not only worthy of the pick, but a lot more (and don't forget we got a 4th back that was used for Isaiah George).

His maturity this year allowed us to put the pairing back together and if you can't see how much Romanov has allowed Dobson to be more aggressive, I don't know what to say. A perfect example of 1 plus 1 equaling 3. Dobson's great season has hidden how much Romanov is contributing, and no, it isn't because Dobson is having the great year. Romanov's skating is much better than most, he's making excellent stretch passes from his own end, and gets the puck to the net which isn't a small thing with today's shot blocking mentality. And he's also on pace to block a lot more shots than last year.

It isn't about playing softer. If the hit is available within the context of a smart play, he is still doing it.

We have a Top pairing that will be the equivalent of Savard and Lapointe for a decade to come.

Reactions: Barzaltrick and TMI

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Seriously though, when one of Pelech, Mayfield, Pulock or all 3 get back in the line-up I would like to see the Islander's D play with a little more edge. More nastiness if not a bit dirty. I want them to be a defense no team wants to face. Look at the last game. The score was 5-4 and the face off in the Isles zone with 6 seconds left on the clock. Before the puck was dropped I saw Bortuzzi whisper to the defenseman to his left and the person standing to his right. I think he was telling them that they would try to go up the middle so be ready. As soon as the puck was dropped and without hesitation Bortuzzi immediately lands a two handed heavy samarai chop on Noesen's hands sending him down to the ice in a heap of pain. Bortuzzi immediately intercepts the pass and sends it up the ice and the game is over. That is why there was a scrum at the end of the game. Beautiful stuff by Bortuzzi and it shows his veteran mindset. Hockey is a dirty game and if it has not sunk into some our players heads yet they need to take lessons from Bortuzzi.

Last edited:

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Rehab, this is one I have to disagree with you on.

In the first half of his first year here, he went for the hit and left his partner out to dry many times, which is why the Dobson pairing last year was abandoned. In the second half, he really started to pick his spots better learning from Pulock. This year, his play is not only worthy of the pick, but a lot more (and don't forget we got a 4th back that was used for Isaiah George).

His maturity this year allowed us to put the pairing back together and if you can't see how much Romanov has allowed Dobson to be more aggressive, I don't know what to say. A perfect example of 1 plus 1 equaling 3. Dobson's great season has hidden how much Romanov is contributing, and no, it isn't because Dobson is having the great year. Romanov's skating is much better than most, he's making excellent stretch passes from his own end, and gets the puck to the net which isn't a small thing with today's shot blocking mentality. And he's also on pace to block a lot more shots than last year.

It isn't about playing softer. If the hit is available within the context of a smart play, he is still doing it.

We have a Top pairing that will be the equivalent of Savard and Lapointe for a decade to come.
Ok all good points Leeroggy. I will watch his pairing with Dobson a bit more closely. I just remember him prior to the Isles recent wins (OT points) streak as being one of the main culprits behind the turtling issue the Isles had going on. I'm not so sure if I still trust him late in the game and this may be true for that pairing in general. Dobson has been a revelation offensively but I think he needs to work on his defensive game as well. He has certainly been using his body better but there have been times as well when he has been caught out of position late in games. I'll watch the games more closely for all of this.

Last edited:

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
This usually is a good sign that I may be on to something. The last time I got this kind of response Barzal's game improved.

Rehabguy 1 point. Nizami 0 points.

Was I wrong then? Nope. Just saying... I mean people were seriously arguing in this post that the game got so fast that Barzal's skating was no longer an asset and the rest of the league had caught up to him. Where do they come up with this shit?

Last edited:

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Would like to see more snarl, like Rocky hitting the bag, having Mick behind him screaming at him. Hopefully the kid pick his shots and gets in a few. Never really enjoying playing when there was a guy out there patrolling.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Romanov has been fine this year, I don't get the complaints?
I don't know I saw a lot of really bad mistakes early on and he was our #1 turtle a few weeks back, but then again he is relied upon a lot when the game is on the line. He didn't appear have a good hockey sense or ice awareness, but I could be wrong. I will have to watch more of him.

Would like to see more snarl, like Rocky hitting the bag, having Mick behind him screaming at him. Hopefully the kid pick his shots and gets in a few. Never really enjoying playing when there was a guy out there patrolling.
That's basically my point. Teams are entering the Isles D zone with so much speed because no one stands up to that at the blue line or along the boards. Occasionally they have to make these big hits to send a message. Maybe Romanov has been doing this more than I have observed but I wish he hit more frequently and with more authority. He's got the build and timing for it. We need a little more Johnny Boychuk or just watch how Bortuzzi stops players. Goring commented about this a few games back and he was talking about Romanov even he said they have stand up more and stop retreating. He was exasperated as I am how easily opposing players get into high scoring areas. He said " I know this is the system but..... C'mon"

Last edited:

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Don't get the complaints. Team is better when he plays a more defensively-sound structure versus just trying to hit everything that moves.
No one wants him to hit everything that moves. As I said in OP. Play smart hockey, but he needs to pick his shots. Get a little of Potvin in him.

The Isles still have problems on defense. Don't let these recent points fool you.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
No one wants him to hit everything that moves. As I said in OP. Play smart hockey, but he needs to pick his shots. Get a little of Potvin in him.

The Isles still have problems on defense. Don't let these recent points fool you.
Ok, but him laying big hitz doesn’t solve the issue

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022

They have Lambert now. He is giving our forwards confidence so we don't need defense.

• Haha
Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Ok, but him laying big hitz doesn’t solve the issue
Trust me a more physical game from our D will solve A LOT of problems. The entire D is playing WAY WAY too soft. All the old timers here will remember Arbor preached a “make ‘em pay” approach to defense. If you skate into our d zone with the puck you will be hit - as simple as that. I remember a dynasty player recalling in an interview how one long ago Arbor walked into the dressing room between periods with a dozen eggs and told each player to put one of the eggs in their jerseys because by the end of the game they will be perfectly fine. The players got the message and proceeded to physically annihilate the other team.

They have Lambert now. He is giving our forwards confidence so we don't need defense.
Nothing left in the tank eh?

Last edited:

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I don't know I saw a lot of really bad mistakes early on and he was our #1 turtle a few weeks back, but then again he is relied upon a lot when the game is on the line. He didn't appear have a good hockey sense or ice awareness, but I could be wrong. I will have to watch more of him.

That's basically my point. Teams are entering the Isles D zone with so much speed because no one stands up to that at the blue line or along the boards. Occasionally they have to make these big hits to send a message. Maybe Romanov has been doing this more than I have observed but I wish he hit more frequently and with more authority. He's got the build and timing for it. We need a little more Johnny Boychuk or just watch how Bortuzzi stops players. Goring commented about this a few games back and he was talking about Romanov even he said they have stand up more and stop retreating. He was exasperated as I am how easily opposing players get into high scoring areas. He said " I know this is the system but..... C'mon"
do think Romy will get comfortable and start picking spots. Taking a piece out of your opponent does work in long playoff series. Mayfield seemed to wear guys down. The good news is Romy is pretty young and can always getter better

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Yeah, they do. Because half the defense is on the shelf right now.

Doesn't have anything to do with Romanov.
He's played much better with the other guys on the shelf. Part of it is that he's reigned in his game in the defensive zone (the OP is from opposite world). Part of it is that he doesn't seem to communicate well with Pulock.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
He's played much better with the other guys on the shelf. Part of it is that he's reigned in his game in the defensive zone (the OP is from opposite world). Part of it is that he doesn't seem to communicate well with Pulock.
I think there’s nothing wrong with stepping up to make a hit so long as you are aware where everyone is on the ice and how plays are developing. Potvin was excellent at this. Romanov doesn’t appear to have a very good hockey sense yet but I assume that will improve with experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00