Confirmed with Link: Roman Polak signed to a PTO

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Carrick > Polak/Rosen/Borgman/Marincin

Maybe, and it'd be fine with me as I like Carrick's potential and am good with whatever works successfully for the team. However, I think Polak brings the PK element that we're looking for (along with Hainsey, Rielly and Zaitsev). Think our decision makers could view one of Dermott/Rosen/Borgman as having more potential than Carrick and might want more of a vet presence on the bottom pair.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
For like a month before the injury, Polak was playing by far the best hockey of his career. And actually looked like he was a top-4 dman in top-4 minutes.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
For like a month before the injury, Polak was playing by far the best hockey of his career. And actually looked like he was a top-4 dman in top-4 minutes.

'Hot streak'

If years of evidence are changed due to >10 games of hockey, that's pathetic.

I'm hoping this is nothing more than keeping him on for the kids (Prust), and helping him rehab his injury.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton

Howso...? Carrick doesn't really excell at anything...

Plus we already have a few puck movers between Rielly, Gardiner, Zaitsev and Rosen/Dermott/Borgman...

We NEED that guy that can play a full 2 min on a 5 v 3 and have that strong, physical presence clearing the front of our net.

I wouldn't go quite as far as seeing this, but he was very solid and a great option for the 3rd pair.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Howso...? Carrick doesn't really excell at anything...

Plus we already have a few puck movers between Rielly, Gardiner, Zaitsev and Rosen/Dermott/Borgman...

We NEED that guy that can play a full 2 min on a 5 v 3 and have that strong, physical presence clearing the front of our net.

Carrick can skate, carry the puck (can never have too many puck movers) and has a bit of an edge which Gardiner, and Zaitsev do not. He also has room to grow. I don't think we know what we have in Rosen and Borgman just yet but from what I have heard, they are not NHL ready just yet.

Agreed with the bolded but I don't think we have one in camp yet. If you think Polak is it, think about how many full 5 on 3 need to be killed off. I prefer to invest in Carrick than in an old, broken down Polak.

Last edited:

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
As others have said, waive Marincin, carry 8 defenseman.

Rielly
Gardiner
Zaitsev
Hainsey
Carrick
Polak
Rosen
Dermott.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Agreed. I think he should be beside Rielly on the second pairing.

Why, we shooting for bottom 10 this year? I thought he (Marincin) was serviceable 6/7 until Polak went down against Washington and Marincin had to step in. Fugly. I want nothing of him anymore.

He good at preventing zone entries, but terrible once the other team gets in.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Why, we shooting for bottom 10 this year? I thought he (Marincin) was serviceable 6/7 until Polak went down against Washington and Marincin had to step in. Fugly. I want nothing of him anymore.

He good at preventing zone entries, but terrible once the other team gets in.

Maybe if he had some real games to play before getting dropped into a playoff game he wouldve done better. Still wasn't bad - he's actually the best defensive defenseman.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Id rather have Dermott-Rosen on the bottom pair, roll with 2 rookies.

Coming from someone that actually liked Polak

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Carrick can skate, carry the puck (can never have too many puck movers) and has a bit of an edge which Gardiner, and Zaitsev do not. He also has room to grow. I don't think we know what we have in Rosen and Borgman just yet but from what I have heard, they are not NHL ready just yet.

Agreed with the bolded but I don't think we have one in camp yet. If you think Polak is it, think about how many full 5 on 3 need to be killed off. I prefer to invest in Carrick than in an old, broken down Polak.

You're being too generous...

Skating is average
Puck carrying is average
He's not very strong...

Now, i agree he has room to grow... but with my viewings last year, I do not think he'll last 300 games in the NHL.

Black hat blue eyes

Jul 21, 2015

First off you can't say that.

I like Carrick but most have never see Rosen or Borgmann play. Let alone on anything resembling NA ice.

Also Rosen and Borgmann play the left side. Unlike Carrick, Polack and the human grenade handler marincin who play the right.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
He's not better than Polak or even Marincin. Carrick is thoroughly mediocre.

He competes like a SOB, he needs to clean up his defensive zone coverage but his skating, shooting and passing are of NHL calibre. Lou hopes he turns into another Brian Rafalski Hockey Strong.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $275.00