Confirmed with Link: Roman Polak signed to a PTO

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Polka if healthy is certainly better than Marincin.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
The hate on Polak here is crazy lol. He's 10x better than Marincin's garbage ass.

Babcock has loved using him on the 3rd pairing the last 2 years, and I fully expect Polak to make the team again if he's healthy.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I don't care about the PTO -- if it is a gesture, good on them -- but you gotta hope this doesn't lead to a contract.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I'm assuming you were busy during the games in the playoffs last year where he stepping into a top 4 role and excelled? Once he went down the series turned.

This can't be serious lol.

He was also one of the best PKer's on the team all year,

relative to the team, not the league.

one of the only ones with Physical tools and one of the best shot blockers on the team.

Physical tools mean very little if you suck at defense. Ask Pittsburgh's b2b Stanley cups.

He has a role on the bottom pairing or press box. The AHL comment is un needed.

Well seeing how he was easily one of the worst defenseman in the NHL playing on the bottom pair, I imagine that qualifies him as a 'replacement level' player, which in my eyes is an AHL player.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
This can't be serious lol.

relative to the team, not the league.

Physical tools mean very little if you suck at defense. Ask Pittsburgh's b2b Stanley cups.

Well seeing how he was easily one of the worst defenseman in the NHL playing on the bottom pair, I imagine that qualifies him as a 'replacement level' player, which in my eyes is an AHL player.
Polak played against the pittsburgh penguins in the stanley cup finals with the san jose sharks 2 years ago. He made their team better too, as he treally is making our team better even more than san jose. Polak = Makes our PK better, blocking thang better, and hitting, pushing peeps game really really much better. He that hard. We need the toughness and protecting our key guy andersen. Our defense without Polak is pretty weak. They can't push suckas back against the wall. We are better with polak. He will again make the presense of stanley cup finalist.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Polak played against the pittsburgh penguins in the stanley cup finals with the san jose sharks 2 years ago. He made their team better too, as he treally is making our team better even more than san jose. Polak = Makes our PK better, blocking thang better, and hitting, pushing peeps game really really much better. He that hard. We need the toughness and protecting our key guy andersen. Our defense without Polak is pretty weak. They can't push suckas back against the wall. We are better with polak. He will again make the presense of stanley cup finalist.

Ask any Sharks fan, they'll vehemently disagree with you. He is very bad at hockey (compared to other NHL'ers - not in a vacuum)

Hitting and blocking shots don't help a team win. Blocking shots can actually be perceived as a negative for players for many reasons; one being that player doesn't have the puck and has to block it.

We are worse with Polak.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Ask any Sharks fan, they'll vehemently disagree with you. He is very bad at hockey (compared to other NHL'ers - not in a vacuum)

Hitting and blocking shots don't help a team win. Blocking shots can actually be perceived as a negative for players for many reasons; one being that player doesn't have the puck and has to block it.

We are worse with Polak.

The 2006 Oilers made the stanley cup finals from blocking shots.... Babcock, Lamourello and Shanahan disagree

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The hate on Polak here is crazy lol. He's 10x better than Marincin's garbage ass.

Babcock has loved using him on the 3rd pairing the last 2 years, and I fully expect Polak to make the team again if he's healthy.

I don't mind Polak as the 7th dman. What I don't want to see is him chew into Dermott's playing time if Dermott is able to make the team.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Just because I don't like Polak, does not mean that I like Marincin. I dislike them both. Not very good at hockey.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I'm not a Polak fan but he did play well the half last year. And he provides some toughness on the back-end which the Leafs lack right now

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014

We are worse with Polak.
Already did as I talk to san jose fans every day since I have lived there and my otha brotha is a sharks fan. They and him said that san jose wouldn't have made it so far without Polak. The presence was really needed back there too. Therefore Polak played a lot in the stanley cup finals, and in the playoffs with the sharks. He will also play a lot of playoff hockey with us this season, also with the regular season squad. Therefore great teams like us and sharks will keep on hiring him and paying him the big buck. Polak is real good at ice hockey as he plays so hard and lifts weights like a tru mother. He unloads his fire on other fools and throws them around. Some people are afraid of polak. Our other d-men are weak and they can't hit almost at all. Zaitsev can, but others are treally weak compared to polak and zaitsev. They the true souljas and making things entertaining. We can even lose like gilmour and clark and sundin, since we are back and playing the most entertaining hockey in the world with our best team. We are smiling and paying and I am even investing into our club again.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't mind Polak as the 7th dman. What I don't want to see is him chew into Dermott's playing time if Dermott is able to make the team.

Different positions essentially.

Dermott is a LHD and plays on the left and Polak is a RHD playing on the right side.

So they're not really in direct competition for the same spot.

Connor Carrick needs to look over his shoulder at Polak as it would be his line-up spot he would be taking when playing.

Dermott will battle Marincin for the left hand side and 3rd pairing spot.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Already did as I talk to san jose fans every day since I have lived there and my otha brotha is a sharks fan. They and him said that san jose wouldn't have made it so far without Polak. The presence was really needed back there too. Therefore Polak played a lot in the stanley cup finals, and in the playoffs with the sharks. He will also play a lot of playoff hockey with us this season, also with the regular season squad. Therefore great teams like us and sharks will keep on hiring him and paying him the big buck. Polak is real good at ice hockey as he plays so hard and lifts weights like a tru mother. He unloads his fire on other fools and throws them around. Some people are afraid of polak. Our other d-men are weak and they can't hit almost at all. Zaitsev can, but others are treally weak compared to polak and zaitsev. They the true souljas and making things entertaining. We can even lose like gilmour and clark and sundin, since we are back and playing the most entertaining hockey in the world with our best team. We are smiling and paying and I am even investing into our club again.

My third cousin twice removed on my mom's side who married my 7th cousin says he sucks.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
The 2006 Oilers made the stanley cup finals from blocking shots.... Babcock, Lamourello and Shanahan disagree

But did they win? - bad example.

Block shots when you have to, don't block shots because that's all you can offer.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Polak brings needed muscle and meanness to this smallish defense..
They are small and usually outmuscled on the boards...so if not Polak, the who can do it?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
As far as this season goes, I'd rather have Polak in the lineup over Carrick to be honest... We need that big, physical net/clearing guy...

I'd like to see:

Gardiner-Zaitsev
Rielly-Hainsey
Rosen-Polak
Marincin/Carrick

Think I see it working out like this as well. Rosen (or Borgman or Dermott) with Polak on the 3rd pair, Carrick as the #7, with Marincin as 8 or traded/waived if we opt to carry 7D.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Polak seem to be another example of people expecting too much out of a bottom pair player. He's very good in that role. He's this Leafs edition of Aki Berg, another very good bottom pair player who some didn't understand his role.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Different positions essentially.

Dermott is a LHD and plays on the left and Polak is a RHD playing on the right side.

So they're not really in direct competition for the same spot.

Connor Carrick needs to look over his shoulder at Polak as it would be his line-up spot he would be taking when playing.

Dermott will battle Marincin for the left hand side and 3rd pairing spot.

Under your scenario if Dermott is not ready, Marincin is our 6th dman and we are in trouble :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad