Prospect Info: Roman Kantserov 44th Overall

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Kucherov went 3 PPG at the Under-18s. It’s pretty ridiculous he went so late. Of course, that’s easy to say with complete hindsight.

Anyways, Kucherov has been a top 5 forward in the world for many years, so a standard of Kucherov or Bust for a mid-2nd round pick ridiculous… but it’s Musto we’re talking about here.
Let’s just hope he can surpass Ian Mitchell’s career.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Kucherov went 3 PPG at the Under-18s. It’s pretty ridiculous he went so late. Of course, that’s easy to say with complete hindsight.

Anyways, Kucherov has been a top 5 forward in the world for many years, so a standard of Kucherov or Bust for a mid-2nd round pick ridiculous… but it’s Musto we’re talking about here.
You missed the point.

People he are calling him a prospect with top 6 upside. My point is that if you look at similar prospects coming out of Russia, that rarely happens.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
You missed the point.

People he are calling him a prospect with top 6 upside. My point is that if you look at similar prospects coming out of Russia, that rarely happens.
Who cares what country he is from. The Hawks took a scoring forward in the 2nd round, they certainly have hopes he can be a top six forward, or else it was a wasted pick. May not turn out as most 2nd round picks do not, but they obviously saw something there to use a mid-2nd pick on him.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Who cares what country he is from. The Hawks took a scoring forward in the 2nd round, they certainly have hopes he can be a top six forward, or else it was a wasted pick. May not turn out as most 2nd round picks do not, but they obviously saw something there to use a mid-2nd pick on him.
It matters because development isn't equal across all clubs around the world.

The MHL in particular is a horrendous league, and he's not with a top club.

Chicago will hopefully rescue him next year and bring him to Rockford, but his real development will only start then. There's a lot of "what ifs" beyond that point.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It matters because development isn't equal across all clubs around the world.

The MHL in particular is a horrendous league, and he's not with a top club.

Chicago will hopefully rescue him next year and bring him to Rockford, but his real development will only start then. There's a lot of "what ifs" beyond that point.
You have a weird hate thing going with Russians from what I can tell.

Top 6 forwards have come from there before, and will continue to do so going forward. 14 Russian Skaters (13 Forwards) with 45+ points last season. They're a top 5 hockey nation every single age group, so I'm pretty confident more Russian kids will continue to develop and be good NHL players. Hopefully the Hawks grabbed one, but we will see.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
You have a weird hate thing going with Russians from what I can tell.

Top 6 forwards have come from there before, and will continue to do so going forward. 14 Russian Skaters (13 Forwards) with 45+ points last season. They're a top 5 hockey nation every single age group, so I'm pretty confident more Russian kids will continue to develop and be good NHL players. Hopefully the Hawks grabbed one, but we will see.
You need to work on your selective reading

Reactions: ello

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
You need to work on your selective reading
The MHL is a "horrendous league" (according to you), but if it was so horrendous, why did the Hawks draft a player that played in it? It doesn't make sense, unless the Hawks are just idiots, which hopefully is not the case. And given other organizations are willing to draft players that played in the MHL with that level of draft capital, I presume that's not it. It doesn't matter what league a prospect is playing in all that much. NHL teams are drafting based on a combination of a player's resume to date as well as their individual attributes and how they think those project going forward. By your logic, Lukas Reichel would have been a terrible pick because historically, very few players have come out of the German youth hockey ranks, and while it's a bit too early to do a celebratory dance, I like that pick based on where we are three years later. Kantserov just needs to keep playing and focusing on getting better, and hopefully it'll sort itself out. If he busts, it's just because that's how it goes, but I reckon someone like you will attribute it to KHL/MHL and ignore the multitude of CHL/NCAA players in that range that also bust every year.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
The MHL is a "horrendous league" (according to you), but if it was so horrendous, why did the Hawks draft a player that played in it? It doesn't make sense, unless the Hawks are just idiots, which hopefully is not the case. And given other organizations are willing to draft players that played in the MHL with that level of draft capital, I presume that's not it. It doesn't matter what league a prospect is playing in all that much. NHL teams are drafting based on a combination of a player's resume to date as well as their individual attributes and how they think those project going forward. By your logic, Lukas Reichel would have been a terrible pick because historically, very few players have come out of the German youth hockey ranks, and while it's a bit too early to do a celebratory dance, I like that pick based on where we are three years later. Kantserov just needs to keep playing and focusing on getting better, and hopefully it'll sort itself out. If he busts, it's just because that's how it goes, but I reckon someone like you will attribute it to KHL/MHL and ignore the multitude of CHL/NCAA players in that range that also bust every year.
Typically if a team drafts a player early out of Russia it's because of other factors.

1) They're very projectable. Size + elite attributes.

2) They're with a top club like SKA so they know they'll get access to the best development in the country.

3) They played and succeeded in a KHL role in their draft year.

You can argue that Kantserov has a single elite attribute (speed), but that's the only box he checks.

Which is why Chicago drafted him. They're new philosophy is being obsessed with speed.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I mean at the end of the day the MHL is a bad league. It doesn’t mean good players can’t come from it, but it is a bad league.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
I would have taken Etienne Morin with this pick, but I trust the Hawks current scouting department as last year's draft looks quite solid----hope this kid makes it.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
When can we get this kid over?!?!?!?
Ideally next year and get him in Rockford, if he re-signs in Russia, the Hawks lose control of his development and by the time he is up next go around he may only want to come over with assurances of a roster spot, which is a tricky situation for a team that by that point is hopefully overflowing with prospects securing and pushing for spots.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Why don’t they assign him to the MHL or loan to VHL if they aren’t playing him, assuming health? I’m a bit more optimistic he will be in the AHL next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad