Waived: Roman Hamrlik

Status
Not open for further replies.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
no need to laugh or anything of the sort, he had a good career and is seemingly a good guy, sad to see him fizzle out like this but c'est la vie.

having said that, we could do worse than hamrlik as depth d

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I would hope that Hamrlik becomes a Hab again.

Yes his best days are behind him and I have to figure that this is his last season but you can never have enough depth on the backend.

Only thing would be to move Weber for any draft pick you can get or just send him down to Hamilton and he would have to clear waivers.

If an offensive player is out of the lineup have Kaberle step in. (Markov, Subban, Diaz)

If a defensive player is out of the lineup have Hamrlik step in.
(Gorges, Emelin, Boullion)

7th/8th will be Kaberle and Hamrlik. No need at the trade deadline to worry about picking up a little more depth on the back end.

When the season is finished let Hamrlik retire or try to sign with another club as a UFA.

As much as I like Weber (I live in Kitchener and watched him play for the Rangers) he has been passed on the Habs depth chart. I can not see him in a Habs uniform next season.

I believe that the Habs are still in a mode that they are more interested in winning Cups in the future rather than a short time try for this year. The Habs are currently sitting on top of the East just about at the half way mark of the season. I am not saying to go all out to make a run for the Cup but if we could make an upgrade without giving away any true assets in the future then why not take the chance. I would rather have Hamrlik over Weber right now looking forward to a playoff run.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Screw this guy. Now he can earn his money in the AHL like he was complaining about - no escrow to worry about either.

Out of shape, lazy loser with the absolute worst slapshot conceivable (until Spacek that is!). I never understood why fans liked him or why this thread even exists. He's awful.

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
Screw this guy. Now he can earn his money in the AHL like he was complaining about - no escrow to worry about either.

Out of shape, lazy loser with the absolute worst slapshot conceivable (until Spacek that is!). I never understood why fans liked him or why this thread even exists. He's awful.

I don't know where you were when he was on this team, but he was one of the more reliable defensemen on the squad. Sure, he's slowed down and probably done, but to say that he was lazy is unwarranted and completely false.

BeBen*

No thanks we haven't been getting that many delay of game penalties, i'm ok with that

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
We don't need Hamrlik. Kaberle is proving to be a great 7th defenseman, and after that we've still got Weber who has also shown good things at times. Hamrlik is old and was recently waived by one of the worst teams in the conference, what does that tell you about him?

We don't need another defenseman.

This... Why pick up a 7th dman when Kaberle is already doing fine, and you have Weber as 8th dman too.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Yes. Free defensive depth without wasting an asset which we might do at the deadline.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

He was great the first two seasons but then he really dropped off after. I kept getting bashed when I said this and now look at him. He's not even good enough for the Caps.

Great career though, but I don't want him here. He'd make Armstrong and Markov look like Bure and Grabner.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He played 4 games this year, and we all know how apparently well run Washington has been these past couple years.
He should have been re-signed last time.

I have no idea how he evolved over the years so I can't say, but generally speaking, I have little interest in waived players, especially aging ones.

24Cups

Aug 2, 2005
The guys on NHL radio on Sirius say that he is not popular in the dressing room after his lockout comments. Washington taking the first steps to getting their "Team" in order.

Analyzer*

I knew there would be a thread about Hamrlik and how we should pick him up.

HE'S ****ING TERRIBLE.

If we had 6 dman out with long term injuries, sure. However, we don't.

Weber is better than he is.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Averaged 22 minutes a night last year's playoffs and was +8. Caps team wasn't the best. I'd take a shot on him just because I don't want the team to waste an asset to acquire a defender at the deadline and the habs need diversity on their blueline.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
The guys on NHL radio on Sirius say that he is not popular in the dressing room after his lockout comments. Washington taking the first steps to getting their "Team" in order.

Good. Stupid ol' man Hamrlik was only chasing the money toward the end of his career. Other than Spacek and Redden I've never seen someone's physicals deteriorate so quickly. Lazy bum.

Refused to check, refused to shoot, refused to do much of anything. He just relied on his guile and his positioning, which was good, but come on man he could've been so much better. Had an awful break-out pass too.

I'm glad he got waived, it vindicates my long-dormant rage-hate for him.

edit:

And his comments in the off-season were absolutely awful, and since the players pretty much won back more than what was offered when Hamrlik spoke out, it makes him look like even more of an ass.

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal

Too bad, Hamrlik seemed like a good teammate. If you ask me WAS is a team of individuals lead by a prima donna. There is absolutely no way they start jellin' until they fix that and I don't think starting with Hammer is the way to go about it.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
If anything I'd play him in Hamilton, provide some experience to the young guys there.

If you pick up someone on waivers you can't trade them or send them down. Basically it's a mechanism introduced by the PA to ensure the NHL-salary of an NHL-worthy player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad