Speculation: Roman Hamrlik on waivers

Yzlamic Preacher*

Would rather see what it would take from Edmonton to snag Smid.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
How come everyone wants Gudas instead of Barberio up? Barbs is the one who won the awards last year. Best Defenseman.
Gudas would add some nastiness and he's better defensively. He was Norfolk's best defenseman last season in the playoffs. It's no knock on Barberio. He's also fantastic.

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
Hamrlik has been part of the problem in Washington, their waiving him is not a surprise.

No legs, no grit, no hustle...wouldn't crack our roster. He's not better than any of our 5 worst defensemen in any aspect and brings nothing we don't already have too much of...why do people want him again?

Nostalgia?
To honorably retire a bolt?

Great, sign him to a one-day deal so he can promptly retire a Bolt. Otherwise, who cares? I guarantee he doesn't. I also highly doubt he's ever missed being a member of the Lightning since he left. Even in 04.

Further, he was a wee bit cancerous in his anti-NHLPA comments during the lockout, sure he made a lot of friends around the league with that.

He should have stayed in Europe and retired after playing a few more years for his hometown team there. I'll be surprised if he gets another NHL gig at all.

Last edited:

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
How come everyone wants Gudas instead of Barberio up?

It's not a knock against Barberio, who looks to be Bergeron's heir apparent but the addition of Carle before this season and Hedman seeing now seeing regular PP time means he's got to bring more than his offensive game, which is very strong, to the next level.

Gudas, who is far less polished offensively but, like Barberio, possesses a cannon, was one of the few invites to the condensed training camp, where he drew rave reviews. Also, some might see that he's sound enough in his positioning and decision-making and skates well enough to, with stocky build, provide a very physical, two-way presence from the back-end in a way that Barberio simply can't. He's become excellent in his own third of the ice in puck retrieval and board battles, making reads and moving the puck with efficiency.

In short, people see him a more natural fit for the third-pairing or in a depth role at first.

Barbs is the one who won the awards last year. Best Defenseman.

Last year. He's having a solid season now but has struggled with consistency.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I think this was done as a result of Marc Staal taking a puck to the eye last night. He'll likely be out for a while.

I heard somewhere else that the Rangers were apparently thinking about claiming Hamrlik before Staal's injury. Him getting injured must've certainly helped them decide though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad