Speculation: Roman Hamrlik on waivers

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Anyone think we should try to claim Hamrlik? Trade MAB for anything, bring hammer back so he can go out a bolt. He's better defensively than MAB and is a RH shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Anyone think we should try to claim Hamrlik? Trade MAB for anything, bring hammer back so he can go out a bolt. He's better defensively than MAB and is a RH shot.

I noticed that and it intrigued me. I doubt he'd be very good though. Being put on waivers usually means you aren't good.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I noticed that and it intrigued me. I doubt he'd be very good though. Being put on waivers usually means you aren't good.

At this point, anything is an upgrade over Brewer and Carle, Hamrlik could just use a change of scenery, much like Brewer did when he first came here and was amazing.

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC

$3.5 million cap hit for a 38 year old defender who has played 4 games this year?

I know he's a Vintage Bolt, but we've had better ideas than to claim Hamrlik...

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
No. I don't really see picking up Hamrlik as a good move. While TB needs to win games now, it'd be wiser to wait until closer to the trade deadline to pick up a defenseman so their downward slide will be minimized.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
$3.5 million cap hit for a 38 year old defender who has played 4 games this year?

I know he's a Vintage Bolt, but we've had better ideas than to claim Hamrlik...
Depth never hurts. Salo is 38, too, BTW. Hamrlik is on a 1-year deal and we have around $6 million in cap space and Ohlund isn't even on LTIR.

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC
Depth never hurts. Salo is 38, too, BTW. Hamrlik is on a 1-year deal and we have around $6 million in cap space and Ohlund isn't even on LTIR.

I'm all for defensive depth, but I think bringing up Barberio or Gudas would be a better move. It would be relevant to the future of the Lightning instead of bringing in a guy as a plug for 26 games at $3.5m, as I doubt he'd be re-signed. Not a cost effective move imo...it would also save cap space were TB to make a move around the deadline or claim someone better/younger in the future. Just my 2 cents though...

As somewhat of an aside, Mikkelson hasn't impressed me at all this year, and I don't feel like he gives us much depth.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'm all for defensive depth, but I think bringing up Barberio or Gudas would be a better move. It would be relevant to the future of the Lightning instead of bringing in a guy as a plug for 26 games at $3.5m, as I doubt he'd be re-signed. Not a cost effective move imo...it would also save cap space were TB to make a move around the deadline or claim someone better/younger in the future. Just my 2 cents though...

As somewhat of an aside, Mikkelson hasn't impressed me at all this year, and I don't feel like he gives us much depth.

He's better than MAB and we'd be able to keep our young D in the A. It would also look good on the franchise if we bring back some of our former players to let them retire as bolts. Especially the first ever pick in our history.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

Valid points. But Hamrlik could probably step right in as a top-3/top-4 defenseman relieving Brewer and Carle a bit. I am all against rushing a PMD like Barberio just for the sake of giving him a couple of games. Could hurt more than it would benefit his development. Gudas could fit on the 3rd pairing but we already have four guys battling for those two (12F-6D) to three (11F-7D) spots. At this point I'd prefer bringing in a veteran who's able to eat 15-20 minutes per game over destroying the good thing we have going in Syracuse.

$ is not the problem and if we need the cap space to acquire a better player we could still put Ohlund on LTIR.

And, well, he's our first 1st overall pick.

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC
He's better than MAB and we'd be able to keep our young D in the A. It would also look good on the franchise if we bring back some of our former players to let them retire as bolts. Especially the first ever pick in our history.

No arguments about MAB. I'm not saying our D doesn't need help/depth, but he has played 4 games this year...our defense makes enough mistakes as it is, let alone bringing in a guy who hasn't played in almost a month (Feb 7 was his last game).

I like the idea of bringing him back regarding PR. However, a 1 day contract kind of thing accomplishes a lot of the same things, doesn't give our D more growing pains, and doesn't cost a cap hit of $3.5m.

I'm feel I'm in the minority regarding bringing him back, but I don't think it's the smartest move, nor should we scoop up anyone that comes on waivers. Again, just my opinion...

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC
Valid points. But Hamrlik could probably step right in as a top-3/top-4 defenseman relieving Brewer and Carle a bit. I am all against rushing a PMD like Barberio just for the sake of giving him a couple of games. Could hurt more than it would benefit his development. Gudas could fit on the 3rd pairing but we already have four guys battling for those two (12F-6D) to three (11F-7D) spots. At this point I'd prefer bringing in a veteran who's able to eat 15-20 minutes per game over destroying the good thing we have going in Syracuse.

$ is not the problem and if we need the cap space to acquire a better player we could still put Ohlund on LTIR.

And, well, he's our first 1st overall pick.

I don't think Hamrlik right now is in a position to relieve Brewer-Carle with 4 GP this season. I think he'd be a step down compared to them in the short term. I was not aware of the Ohlund LTIR situation, so that's good to know.

Your points regarding Syracuse have merit, as I feel a Crunch d-man or two would have seen a few games in TB had they not been playing as well.

I agree a veteran d-man could be brought in to eat minutes, though I'm just not sure Hamrlik is the right one right now. No idea if a "right one" exists, but ideally, they'd be here longer than 26 games.

EDIT: Thanks to the mods for the new thread...apologies for distracting the GDT

TBLHoser

Jul 2, 2009
Sunshine State
Expensive gesture on our part but Vinik and SFY don't owe him anything and he's really at the end of his career. I'd rather go with yoots.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I say claim him. WTH on a one year deal, probably would fill that number four spot a hell of a lot better than Carle. If he sucks, just don't resign him.....

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
I say claim him. WTH on a one year deal, probably would fill that number four spot a hell of a lot better than Carle. If he sucks, just don't resign him.....

So 9M (3.5 + 5.5) to fill the 4th spot? :amazed:

Given the success of the other Admirals/Crunchers, I'd prefer to see what Gudas can do. I wouldn't want to deplete Syracuse too much though, either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad