TBN: Rolston wants Sabres to pick up the pace and stop blinking first

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres...pick-up-the-pace-and-stop-blinking-first.html

Ron Rolston has been watching video of NHL games all season despite coaching down in Rochester, so the Sabres' interim bench boss already had a good feel for what Buffalo needs to improve.
"We have to play at a different pace right now," Rolston said today in Northtown Center at Amherst after his first formal practice. "We don’t put enough pressure on teams right now, just playing a little bit too slow. If you lined all the players up on the goal line across the league, it’d be a pretty close race from end to end, but a lot of teams play faster than other teams with puck movement and guys knowing what other guys are doing on the ice.

"We’ve got to make a concerted effort at doing that, just putting teams in pressure situations more than we do."

"What happens right now with our hockey team is we’re the team that blinks first when you have a staredown. In other words, if the faceoff’s in the zone and we make a mistake in execution, the next thing you know it’s a 2-1 game going into the third.

"That’s part of the reason why things aren’t going the way we want them to go is because there’s times in the game we execute for a long period of time, and then in this league if you have even a short span of a couple of shifts where you don’t execute, that can be the difference in the game. A lot of times it’s been the case here, and it was last night for us."

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
Rolston complicated the team on how well they were able to handle playing on shuffled lines constructed on the fly.

Well Ron, they've had a lot of practice.

"We have to play at a different pace right now," Rolston said today in Northtown Center at Amherst after his first formal practice. "We don’t put enough pressure on teams right now, just playing a little bit too slow.

Glad to see he's recognized this already. This team has been playing a really passive style of hockey under Lindy.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Getting to the crux of the message: skate harder, and play to win.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
There's one problem, tho. He wants to increase the tempo, but the team only skated for 20 minutes last night. I think you have to get them up to a full 60 minute game before you try to turn up the tempo.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I mean... I agree and I like seeing it... But you really needed one eye and a fraction of half a hockey brain to surmise the above, no?

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Pretty much dead on. The real question is can he make these guys execute it?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Does this lead to the next logical question: are they generally out of shape? I suppose we'll see soon enough if they have enough legs to pick up the pace or not.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Does this lead to the next logical question: are they generally out of shape? I suppose we'll see soon enough if they have enough legs to pick up the pace or not.

Maybe they were hanging out with Stevie Johnson during their time off. lol

To answer you seriously, I don't think they will be able to do it this year. If he wants better effort, he's going to have to install better off-season conditioning, then try next year. weird thing is, I doubt he'll be behind the bench next year.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Maybe they were hanging out with Stevie Johnson during their time off. lol

To answer you seriously, I don't think they will be able to do it this year. If he wants better effort, he's going to have to install better off-season conditioning, then try next year. weird thing is, I doubt he'll be behind the bench next year.

Still a nice setup for whoever takes over. Thanks Ron! :laugh:

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
His observations were self evident and I am glad he said this publicly.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I mean... I agree and I like seeing it... But you really needed one eye and a fraction of half a hockey brain to surmise the above, no?

Agree, but there's value in saying this to the media. Rolston's saying what everyone knows already, but now the media and fans know that he understands the problem.

He's also set a baseline for the future. Gotta play fast and get mentally tougher. . . or players that aren't need to move on.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

I don't think this is a physical thing so much as it's mental: making decisions quicker on the ice, knowing what your linemates are doing and not needing to hesitate to check, committing to the play your making, etc. I mean, part of it is certainly just keeping their legs moving more, but I feel like the bigger part of what Rolston's getting at is mental.

Newcastlesabre

Jan 30, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I have got to say, I think it's more mental then anything physical. Although the team isnt the strongest there is no reason why we shouldnt be competing at a higher level and matching more teams then we have been. i just think the players weren't responding to Lindy anymore and not giving all they could (in some cases), maybe they will respond to a new coach. All we can loook for now is to salvage some pride for the remainder of the short season.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't think this is a physical thing so much as it's mental: making decisions quicker on the ice, knowing what your linemates are doing and not needing to hesitate to check, committing to the play your making, etc. I mean, part of it is certainly just keeping their legs moving more, but I feel like the bigger part of what Rolston's getting at is mental.

True, there is that as well. It does seem they're over-thinking everything everywhere and not executing.

CrankyJay

May 17, 2006
Lancaster, NY

I've been asking this for years and have been laughed at...

I think their conditioning is suspect.

Last edited:

PanicItsVanek26

Nov 29, 2011
Portage, IN
Lindy couldn't come up with a reason as to why the team was playing so bad, but our AHL coach could. I like that he is the type of coach that teaches players instead just telling them they messed up.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
Lindy couldn't come up with a reason as to why the team was playing so bad, but our AHL coach could. I like that he is the type of coach that teaches players instead just telling them they messed up.

It's hard to admit that your team is slugging it around on you. which pretty much means they've quit on you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad