GDT: Rolling Preseason GDT | Game 8: 9/30 4PM at Penguins (TV: NHLN-US)

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Call me a pessimist but Im not too crazy on how this team has looked so far. Yes I realize it is only preseason and we havent iced a competitive lineup but starting strong is a must and doesnt appear we have done that so far.
My main concern though is Panarin, Wennberg and Atkinson. I find it hard to believe that all three will get off to a hot start. Not to mention the defensive zone play just looks really rough. Once again it's super tough to tell since it is preseason but my hunch says we could struggle. Hopefully I am wrong and some vets like Dubi, Foligno and our defense carries us but this team is so young. That in my opinion could lead to our rough start as young players often struggle with consistency. To me, adding a player like Duchene would do a ton to say we are serious and also alleviate a ton of pressure on Wennberg and Panarin as the main point getters.

PS: Milano deserves to make this team, perfect Sam Gagner replacement.

:shakehead:

This isn't pessimism. I'm not sure what to call it. I mean, you clearly 'get' that it's preseason, etc, but then follow it with so much concern. It's ok to relax and enjoy it for what it is - evaluation of youth, training for vets. How many old CBJ teams had great preseasons, looked fantastic, and then fell flat on their ass when the season started and teams started playing at NHL speed. It's a process. Once the season starts, there will be ebbs and flows - and that's O.K.

The NHL has essentially three gears.

Preseason (don't get hurt speed)
Season (the grind)
Postseason (x2)

Why do Wennberg, Panarin and Atkinson all have to be 'hot' to start the season?

How many actual NHL pairs have been given time in the preseason so far?

Duchene might be a nice add, but is not essential and certainly should not affect how much others feel pressure. The only one focusing on those three as the main source of offense is in this post. They don't have to be, so why should they feel extra pressure? Weird.

Milano looks pretty good, but I'm not convinced he has the same offensive ability as Gagner. Guy has 1 point in 7 NHL games. As good as he looked last night, he still seems offensively challenged.

The only disappointment so far for me is that the CBJ won't join the Cleveland Browns in undefeated preseason championships. Shucks.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana

This isn't pessimism. I'm not sure what to call it. I mean, you clearly 'get' that it's preseason, etc, but then follow it with so much concern. It's ok to relax and enjoy it for what it is - evaluation of youth, training for vets. How many old CBJ teams had great preseasons, looked fantastic, and then fell flat on their ass when the season started and teams started playing at NHL speed. It's a process. Once the season starts, there will be ebbs and flows - and that's O.K.

Season (the grind)
Postseason (x2)

Duchene might be a nice add, but is not essential and certainly should not affect how much others feel pressure. The only one focusing on those three as the main source of offense is in this post. They don't have to be, so why should they feel extra pressure? Weird.

Milano looks pretty good, but I'm not convinced he has the same offensive ability as Gagner. Guy has 1 point in 7 NHL games. As good as he looked last night, he still seems offensively challenged.

The only disappointment so far for me is that the CBJ won't join the Cleveland Browns in undefeated preseason championships. Shucks.
In my mind, Milano could be one of those players that puts up better numbers in the NHL than the AHL. He's a highly skilled player, who had been trying to find his way, but most AHL players don't have the level of skill he does. I don't think he's offensively challenged at all. If anything, he needs to learn to think at the NHL speed, and when he does, the points will come. He could already be there, who knows.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA

Season (the grind)
Postseason (x2)

I find it difficult to find many other "big names" on this roster other than those three mentioned that are going to put up points. Foligno? Your guess is as good as mine on how he'll start, Dubinsky? Good luck relying on him for points. Bjorkstrand? Still pretty young and raw, another unknown truthfully. Who is going to put up points other than Wennberg, Atkinson and Panarin CONSISTENTLY? Sure our defense could add some goals but other than the PP I find it difficult to see consistently winning games five vs five. The whole point of that post was to highlight how some players, who are going to be starters, have not looked very good. Literally that is it, not sure why there are these random ideas of me saying Panarin Wennberg and Atkinson need to start off "hot" and they better be "hot" in preseason or we are doomed. I dont care if this team loses games in preseason as long as the starters play well, which the havent. Hence the concern. The team could start off slow, the division is competitve, that is it.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Come on man, did you even read what I wrote? I said multiple times it is preseason, I realize this, my concerns are legit though, this team is young and scoring has something that this franchise has struggled with at times, it is a legitimate concern.

As for the CBJ PP, I have no doubts the PP will be good, maybe not last year good but above league average of course. The main problem I see is the 5v5 play, Torts needs to make sure we are solid defensively and are able to score 5v5. Once the PP dies down, 5v5 goals are your only hope.

Colorado went undefeated in the preseason last year and look where we ended up. Preseason literally means nothing, scoring, wins, defense... nothing... calm down.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Colorado went undefeated in the preseason last year and look where we ended up. Preseason literally means nothing, scoring, wins, defense... nothing... calm down.

Another thoughtful post on Hfboards, not sure how anything I have said was "uncalm". But please continue the preseason means absolutely nothing bs, if preseason meant nothing coaches would literally not have it. the hyperbole is unbearable

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Another thoughtful post on Hfboards, not sure how anything I have said was "uncalm". But please continue the preseason means absolutely nothing bs, if preseason meant nothing coaches would literally not have it. the hyperbole is unbearable

The point is that the results dont matter. Doesnt matter if you score 50 goals or if you score 5. You get valuable intel from prospects and development and get a system learned.

Your "sky is falling" attitude is the "thoughtful" post around here buddy...

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
The point is that the results dont matter. Doesnt matter if you score 50 goals or if you score 5. You get valuable intel from prospects and development and get a system learned.

Your "sky is falling" attitude is the "thoughtful" post around here buddy...

Reading comprenhension is a scarce commodity around here. I never said anything about losses or wins, I actually stated that I dont care if they win. The starters on the team need to start palying better, they havent looked good hence the concern. How anyone can even interpret that as "the sky if falling" is honestly mindblowing. Man that intel you get from prospects and tweener players making the team is a complete waste of time...since ya know preseason is useless and everything

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
I find it difficult to find many other "big names" on this roster other than those three mentioned that are going to put up points. Foligno? Your guess is as good as mine on how he'll start, Dubinsky? Good luck relying on him for points. Bjorkstrand? Still pretty young and raw, another unknown truthfully. Who is going to put up points other than Wennberg, Atkinson and Panarin CONSISTENTLY? Sure our defense could add some goals but other than the PP I find it difficult to see consistently winning games five vs five. The whole point of that post was to highlight how some players, who are going to be starters, have not looked very good. Literally that is it, not sure why there are these random ideas of me saying Panarin Wennberg and Atkinson need to start off "hot" and they better be "hot" in preseason or we are doomed. I dont care if this team loses games in preseason as long as the starters play well, which the havent. Hence the concern. The team could start off slow, the division is competitve, that is it.

Hmmm...

Call me a pessimist but Im not too crazy on how this team has looked so far. Yes I realize it is only preseason and we havent iced a competitive lineup but starting strong is a must and doesnt appear we have done that so far.
My main concern though is Panarin, Wennberg and Atkinson. I find it hard to believe that all three will get off to a hot start. Not to mention the defensive zone play just looks really rough. Once again it's super tough to tell since it is preseason but my hunch says we could struggle. Hopefully I am wrong and some vets like Dubi, Foligno and our defense carries us but this team is so young. That in my opinion could lead to our rough start as young players often struggle with consistency. To me, adding a player like Duchene would do a ton to say we are serious and also alleviate a ton of pressure on Wennberg and Panarin as the main point getters.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Reading comprenhension is a scarce commodity around here. I never said anything about losses or wins, I actually stated that I dont care if they win. The starters on the team need to start palying better, they havent looked good hence the concern. How anyone can even interpret that as "the sky if falling" is honestly mindblowing. Man that intel you get from prospects and tweener players making the team is a complete waste of time...since ya know preseason is useless and everything

Why? Preseason is showoff time for prospects and fringe guys, not established roster folks who'll need all they can give for the games when it matters.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Korpisolid is back in a big way this game. He's been spectacular and the only reason the Jackets are in it. Will see if they keep him in for the 3rd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad