OT: Roller Hockey Leagues in NJ

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Div 1-3 - Really Really good
Div 4-6 - Really Good
Div 7 - 8 - Poor

It is really hard to explain since it is 4 on 4 roller. It is all offense and normally teams just have stars and the rest of the team is significantly below that level.

So you will have players in Div 7 that also play in Div 4, but the majority of the team isn't good.

http://www.iscahockey.com/DivisionD...ionName=DIVISION 7&League=adult&DvId=&DvName=

This is the lowest division. This Gary P guy has 24 G and 10 A on a team that scored 66 goals.

I'd split it up a little more, but that's pretty accurate.

D1-D2 are the elite divisions. The majority of the players here play on travel teams that go to national tournaments and such.

D3-D4 is the best of the rest. Very good players that don't have the elite puck skills that you see in the top divisions. Pretty damn organized/structured hockey (for an inline league). You don't see people trying to be Bobby Orr and going coast-to-coast too much here.

The lower divisions are harder to group up because they change so much. Some seasons they go down to D8. Generally -

D5-D6 are where you get teams that have a "superstar" or 2 from D3/D4. Those guys provide the majority of the offense, and the rest are average to above-average players (with some below average players). A lot of back and forth, chase the puck, end to end rushes. Disorganized hockey

D7 and below (if there is a D8 that season) are the beginners. A lot of players here have trouble with stopping and turning efficiently (though not all) Occasionally you get a ****** (like Gary P - I played against him for years. He's a D4 or D5 player) who join because they want to be a super star. The league USED TO be better at keeping these people out, and really trying to keep it a strict beginner league...but Dennis (the guy that runs it) is an idiot. A couple years ago they said I was too good to play in the lowest leagues (I was joining to play with my brother, who had just started)...and now I see they allow other people to do stuff like that. Such stupidity.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011

D1-D2 are the elite divisions. The majority of the players here play on travel teams that go to national tournaments and such.

D3-D4 is the best of the rest. Very good players that don't have the elite puck skills that you see in the top divisions. Pretty damn organized/structured hockey (for an inline league). You don't see people trying to be Bobby Orr and going coast-to-coast too much here.

The lower divisions are harder to group up because they change so much. Some seasons they go down to D8. Generally -

D5-D6 are where you get teams that have a "superstar" or 2 from D3/D4. Those guys provide the majority of the offense, and the rest are average to above-average players (with some below average players). A lot of back and forth, chase the puck, end to end rushes. Disorganized hockey

D7 and below (if there is a D8 that season) are the beginners. A lot of players here have trouble with stopping and turning efficiently (though not all) Occasionally you get a ****** (like Gary P - I played against him for years. He's a D4 or D5 player) who join because they want to be a super star. The league USED TO be better at keeping these people out, and really trying to keep it a strict beginner league...but Dennis (the guy that runs it) is an idiot. A couple years ago they said I was too good to play in the lowest leagues (I was joining to play with my brother, who had just started)...and now I see they allow other people to do stuff like that. Such stupidity.

Dennis is ridiculous. It sucks there is no other competition near to actually make him improve the league. This season we are 1-7 - 1 with 30 GF and 77 GA. We lost 3 players (pretty good) due to personal reasons mid year. He won't let us add one of our friends because he use to play Div 1-2 years ago. We could add ****ing Jagr to our team and we still won't dominate.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Dennis is ridiculous. It sucks there is no other competition near to actually make him improve the league. This season we are 1-7 - 1 with 30 GF and 77 GA. We lost 3 players (pretty good) due to personal reasons mid year. He won't let us add one of our friends because he use to play Div 1-2 years ago. We could add ****ing Jagr to our team and we still won't dominate.

The worst case of this I have ever seen is Alexi from "Chocolate Thunder". I've played roller hockey in the north-Jersey scene for a pretty damn long time. Alexi is one of the guys I played against back in the Montvale league that closed down back in like '05. He is a GOOD player. Him, Evan from Orange Lantern, and Phil from Dogs of War are the best remaining players from Montvale in ISCA (I'd put myself in that list if I was still there ;) haha). Last season Alexi lead D7 in scoring (maybe finished 2nd) while also playing in D2. Just absurd.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
The worst case of this I have ever seen is Alexi from "Chocolate Thunder". I've played roller hockey in the north-Jersey scene for a pretty damn long time. Alexi is one of the guys I played against back in the Montvale league that closed down back in like '05. He is a GOOD player. Him, Evan from Orange Lantern, and Phil from Dogs of War are the best remaining players from Montvale in ISCA (I'd put myself in that list if I was still there ;) haha). Last season Alexi lead D7 in scoring (maybe finished 2nd) while also playing in D2. Just absurd.

My team won the Div 7B Champs last season (We nearly scored 100 goals that season). We played against Chocolate Thunder a bunch of times. It is funny because you literally only have to stop 1 player and you have no problem shutting the entire team down. There are a bunch of those types of teams in Div 7-8. I really wish they keep stats form the previous season up because "Overhead Doors" had like 8 of the top 10 scorers in the division.

gmerger37

Dec 2, 2010
North Jersey
I guess I'll just throw this out there, but if anyone on here has any interest in getting together sometimes on the weekends coming up and just shooting around or possible playing pickup, shoot me a PM and we can try and set something out. Like I mentioned earlier I have played in Little Ferry and Glen Rock but I know there are a bunch or rinks around North NJ so I'd be willing to go wherever if its more convenient for everyone.

lucifer91

Jul 29, 2011
NJ

This is accurate, I have played as high as D3, when I was in my best shape, but typically switched from D5 & D4.

I don't play there anymore, I only played one season in North Arlington. The puck moves VERY SLOW on that surface, although I hear it has gotten better.

North Arlington is kind of a haul for me so I don't play there anymore. Also, 2 of my teammates are banned for good from there for some BS stuff so I don't really want to play there anymore (thanks to dennis)

I play in Morristown now. The rink is bigger than the original ISCA rink, puck moves pretty good. The low rafters kind of suck, tho.

Regarding the refs, almost every ref in ISCA gets power mad. Forget trying to get an explanation from them on a call, they will just give you another penalty for talking to them. In Morristown, most of the refs are worse as far as calls go, except for one that usually refs on Monday night. By far the best ref between ISCA and Morristown.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
This is accurate, I have played as high as D3, when I was in my best shape, but typically switched from D5 & D4.

I don't play there anymore, I only played one season in North Arlington. The puck moves VERY SLOW on that surface, although I hear it has gotten better.

North Arlington is kind of a haul for me so I don't play there anymore. Also, 2 of my teammates are banned for good from there for some BS stuff so I don't really want to play there anymore (thanks to dennis)

I play in Morristown now. The rink is bigger than the original ISCA rink, puck moves pretty good. The low rafters kind of suck, tho.

Regarding the refs, almost every ref in ISCA gets power mad. Forget trying to get an explanation from them on a call, they will just give you another penalty for talking to them. In Morristown, most of the refs are worse as far as calls go, except for one that usually refs on Monday night. By far the best ref between ISCA and Morristown.

Yea the first season there was the worst. Apparently it was caused by just ****** planning of getting the rink set up. They laid down the surface, THEN did a whole lot of other **** like blasting the walls/roof and repainting it. So the surface was dirty as **** and near impossible to stop without having your feet slide out from under you.

In my years there I only knew of a couple bans handed out, and they were all for stuff like...assaulting the ref or continuing a fight/starting a brawl after the game. One guy shot a puck at a ref and only got suspended for the rest of the season, not banned. What did your friends do?

As for the refs there, they're mostly not bad. And I say this as someone who has been kicked out of a game or 2 for mouthing off at the refs. The completely bald guy and Dennis reffing are the worst..which, unfortunately, is usually the case come games late in the playoffs. Because they're the 2 "head refs" and always ref the finals. The older guy with a mustache is a good guy, although he does sometimes get in a pissed off mood. But he does get yelled at by even the beginners, so it's understandable at times. Wolf is probably the most IDGAF ref, usually only calls penalties if they're blatant.

lucifer91

Jul 29, 2011
NJ
Yea the first season there was the worst. Apparently it was caused by just ****** planning of getting the rink set up. They laid down the surface, THEN did a whole lot of other **** like blasting the walls/roof and repainting it. So the surface was dirty as **** and near impossible to stop without having your feet slide out from under you.

In my years there I only knew of a couple bans handed out, and they were all for stuff like...assaulting the ref or continuing a fight/starting a brawl after the game. One guy shot a puck at a ref and only got suspended for the rest of the season, not banned. What did your friends do?

As for the refs there, they're mostly not bad. And I say this as someone who has been kicked out of a game or 2 for mouthing off at the refs. The completely bald guy and Dennis reffing are the worst..which, unfortunately, is usually the case come games late in the playoffs. Because they're the 2 "head refs" and always ref the finals. The older guy with a mustache is a good guy, although he does sometimes get in a pissed off mood. But he does get yelled at by even the beginners, so it's understandable at times. Wolf is probably the most IDGAF ref, usually only calls penalties if they're blatant.

It was a confrontation with the older ref, Mark, I think. I am sure you have heard of it...there was video going around. We got a real **** call and the one kid started yelling at him...right in his face. Mark pushed my teammate, Jon back and caused him to fall. His brother, jay..flipped his **** and went after mark....now they are both banned even tho jon didnt hit mark.

I fought the ban on their behalf, to make it a season or year but to no avail.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
It was a confrontation with the older ref, Mark, I think. I am sure you have heard of it...there was video going around. We got a real **** call and the one kid started yelling at him...right in his face. Mark pushed my teammate, Jon back and caused him to fall. His brother, jay..flipped his **** and went after mark....now they are both banned even tho jon didnt hit mark.

I fought the ban on their behalf, to make it a season or year but to no avail.

Hahahaha this is awesome. I was on the team you guys were playing that night. You were playing the Crickets. And I may or may not have been one of the players that jumped in to go after the guy that jumped Mark :laugh: And I may have received my 3rd boxer's fracture that night, which I had surgically repaired and now have a giant scar and a metal plate in my right hand. Where's the video of this?

lucifer91

Jul 29, 2011
NJ
Hahahaha this is awesome. I was on the team you guys were playing that night. You were playing the Crickets. And I may or may not have been one of the players that jumped in to go after the guy that jumped Mark :laugh: And I may have received my 3rd boxer's fracture that night, which I had surgically repaired and now have a giant scar and a metal plate in my right hand. Where's the video of this?

Damn, small world, haha. I guess you remember his father coming out onto the rink too huh? I have known those kids from 10 yrs. Hot tempers and EXTREMELY protective of family and close friends gets them into a lot of trouble.

Geoff, the ref, was the one that had the video and he circulated it. I have never seen it but everyone I run into has seen it. The thing that pissed me off the most about it is that I love playing hockey with those kids and since they are banned from that rink it pretty much leaves me not wanting to play there. Its a better run rink than Morristown. The standings are actually updated weekly (almost) and they keep track of stats.

I also played a lot of hockey for my cousins team, Crossfire.

cleaner claude

Oct 4, 2012
I used to play at a rink in Eatontown that closed, anyone know any others in the area besides good sports?

Loyal Lou

Oct 25, 2013
Rutherford
Yeah, it is no skates, I don't know if they use a puck or ball though.

Dang, I don't want to do that. I want to play on skates but I can only do weekends and it seems like thats the only one going on the weekends. Oh well, I'll just go to open hockey on Saturdays.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I used to play at a rink in Eatontown that closed, anyone know any others in the area besides good sports?

Don't know if you mean Tab Ramos in Aberdeen or the goodsports in wall. Think they got rid of Roller in wall.

Know some guys that play on a league in Metuchen. That's too far from me though.

Other then that, outdoor rec play. I enjoy that the most anyhow.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
So I'm back for break from college until mid January. Are there any places up north where I can play pickup games indoors? Or is there anyone looking for an extra guy on their team? I'm in Fairfield.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
So I'm back for break from college until mid January. Are there any places up north where I can play pickup games indoors? Or is there anyone looking for an extra guy on their team? I'm in Fairfield.

ISCA in (lol not Wallington) North Arlington has open hockey Tuesday and Thursday afternoons and Saturday nights. $10 for 2 hours. Saturday's are typically pretty packed with 2 goalies per side, Tuesdays and Thursdays you usually end up just skating and shooting around with a few people...occasionally enough people show up for a game.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
What kind of numbers would you say for Saturday? Worth goin?

On a Saturday night, I would expect to have between 8 and 12 per side. Once it gets closer to 12 it starts sucking. Because you do like a...4-5 minute shift or so for open hockey, and then end up sitting on the bench for like 10 mins before your next shift.

Loyal Lou

Oct 25, 2013
Rutherford
I just got my new pads yesterday! My old pads from high school were stanky and gross. I will be going to ISCA on Saturdays until another league opens up. I hope it doesn't get too packed there.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Can anyone give me an answer to this please? And what equipment we need also

For an open skate you will get a mix of really good players and some poor players. Most people don't care about defense and just work on their offensive game. Need a helmet, elbows, shins, skates, and a cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad