OT: Roller Hockey Leagues in NJ

The Great Juan

Apr 18, 2006
Pale Blue Dot
My one friend started a bench clearing brawl on the roller rink at the old Coliseum where the Flyers used to practice. The guy who he started it with was banned for life but my friend wasn't. The d-bag tried to kick him in the groin with his skate.

We also played in the winters at the Flyers Skate zone in Vorhees, and then tried to play in a summer league but inside the building was hell's oven when it was hot outside. We'd have to go over to the ice rink next door to cool down.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
So what's the deal with the league? Looks like a decent amount of kinds joined on facebook already. Let me know when things are looking definite so I can make the final push for my team, etc.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I take it to the street when it comes to roller hockey with friends. :nod:

:yo: Hell yea

Fortunately the street I grew up on, we had enough kids and were able to put out a legit 5 v 5 game with 2 goalies (normally dads) in a culdesac near my house....I can't even tell you how many pucks the sewer ate up, ah those were the days of being 10 and 11 years old

KidRobot

Mar 30, 2009
NEW JERSEY
So what's the deal with the league? Looks like a decent amount of kinds joined on facebook already. Let me know when things are looking definite so I can make the final push for my team, etc.

Its definitely going to happen...just not for a couple weeks due to lack of players at the moment.

WowWowWolski

Mar 5, 2010
Yeah I live in Toms River, I play street with me and like 5 friends As i am 15 do i have any chance of joining one of these leagues

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Its definitely going to happen...just not for a couple weeks due to lack of players at the moment.

Okay, I'll make sure I get my team together then. What's the deal with equipment/jerseys? Do you just go gloves skates and sticks, or do you do helmets and jerseys too?

I don't want to look like the only *******s in jerseys (and/or helmets), but I also don't want to be the only *******s in just shorts and skates.

KidRobot

Mar 30, 2009
NEW JERSEY
Okay, I'll make sure I get my team together then. What's the deal with equipment/jerseys? Do you just go gloves skates and sticks, or do you do helmets and jerseys too?

I don't want to look like the only *******s in jerseys (and/or helmets), but I also don't want to be the only *******s in just shorts and skates.

Gloves, skates, sticks for sure. I'm probably gonna assign a color to each team so you can grab jerseys if you want. we're goin with t shirts though.

gmerger37

Dec 2, 2010
North Jersey
Hopefully I don't get killed for bumping this thread in enemy territory. Please don't hold being a rangers fan against me, I live in North Jersey and have been getting the itch to play some roller hockey again. I have been skating/shooting by myself at the rink in glen rock and little ferry, but I wanted to reach out and see if there are any active pickup games or regular games who are looking for a player in the north jersey area.

I know there are a bunch of rinks around here but those are the two I've played at the past few months.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Hopefully I don't get killed for bumping this thread in enemy territory. Please don't hold being a rangers fan against me, I live in North Jersey and have been getting the itch to play some roller hockey again. I have been skating/shooting by myself at the rink in glen rock and little ferry, but I wanted to reach out and see if there are any active pickup games or regular games who are looking for a player in the north jersey area.

I know there are a bunch of rinks around here but those are the two I've played at the past few months.

ISCA moved to North Arlington. They have open hockey on Tuesday/Thursday at 4:30 to 6:30. If you aren't an ******* I can probably get you on a team for next season (starts in a few weeks). I think the fees are $150 this upcoming season - what is your skill level?

gmerger37

Dec 2, 2010
North Jersey
ISCA moved to North Arlington. They have open hockey on Tuesday/Thursday at 4:30 to 6:30. If you aren't an ******* I can probably get you on a team for next season (starts in a few weeks). I think the fees are $150 this upcoming season - what is your skill level?

Do they have anything going on for the weekends? Unfortunately due to my class/work schedule I don't think weekday games would work for me.

As for skill level, I played ice hockey growing up for around 8-10 years then switched to primarily roller when I got into rutgers because we had a rink on campus and they ran intermurals for roller. I'd say im pretty average, I'm not a fast skater nor a sniper, but I can skate pretty well and while I cant dangle through many people I can make a few moves, more of a power forward though.

During college I played a alot, we ran leagues each semester, but after I graduated and started law school/working my ability to play slowly dwindled down. But recently I have gotten the urge to start playing again, and I figure roller is more accessible than ice.

Edit: Just saw that the tues/thursday thing was for open hockey, but yeah if there is a team in need of an extra player I would love to join depending on the schedule. I not an *******, pretty laid back guy just trying to spend some time playing hockey to work out some stress from law school and work lol

Last edited:

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago

I played at ISCA for the past ~3-4 years, sometimes in 3 divisions at a time, before moving to Chicago. What division/teams did you play on? Would be pretty funny if it ended up we had been playing against each other.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Do they have anything going on for the weekends? Unfortunately due to my class/work schedule I don't think weekday games would work for me.

As for skill level, I played ice hockey growing up for around 8-10 years then switched to primarily roller when I got into rutgers because we had a rink on campus and they ran intermurals for roller. I'd say im pretty average, I'm not a fast skater nor a sniper, but I can skate pretty well and while I cant dangle through many people I can make a few moves, more of a power forward though.

During college I played a alot, we ran leagues each semester, but after I graduated and started law school/working my ability to play slowly dwindled down. But recently I have gotten the urge to start playing again, and I figure roller is more accessible than ice.

Edit: Just saw that the tues/thursday thing was for open hockey, but yeah if there is a team in need of an extra player I would love to join depending on the schedule. I not an *******, pretty laid back guy just trying to spend some time playing hockey to work out some stress from law school and work lol

ISCA scheduling is god awful. You can play Mon-Fri with start times from 6:30pm - 11:30pm. I am going to take a break from my team this season, but I can PM their schedule to see if you can make most games.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I played at ISCA for the past ~3-4 years, sometimes in 3 divisions at a time, before moving to Chicago. What division/teams did you play on? Would be pretty funny if it ended up we had been playing against each other.

Last season I played in Div 4 and Div 7 (this season Div 6 east). We were overhead doors (new to the league) and only started playing like a year a ago. Do you know Butner? We are the team with the worst goalie in all of ISCA. We are going to give up 80+ goals this season in Div6 East.

gmerger37

Dec 2, 2010
North Jersey
ISCA scheduling is god awful. You can play Mon-Fri with start times from 6:30pm - 11:30pm. I am going to take a break from my team this season, but I can PM their schedule to see if you can make most games.

Yeah if you already have the schedule for next season and they would need a guy to fill a spot I can take a look and see if a fit is there.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Yeah if you already have the schedule for next season and they would need a guy to fill a spot I can take a look and see if a fit is there.

I don't have the schedule yet and won't for a few weeks. They normally give you the first 2 weeks and then a week later. Their scheduling is really the worst.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Last season I played in Div 4 and Div 7 (this season Div 6 east). We were overhead doors (new to the league) and only started playing like a year a ago. Do you know Butner? We are the team with the worst goalie in all of ISCA. We are going to give up 80+ goals this season in Div6 East.

Ah sounds like you joined right after I left. My last season was this past summer. My main team was the Unknowns in D4 (won the championship literally 3 days before I moved to Chicago :yo:), and I subbed on my brother's team in (I believe) D6, Decepticons. It's too tough to keep track of the divisions with how much they change. I also subbed for One Timers. I've got no idea who Butner is though.

I've also played with Dogs of War, Predators, Crickets (they quit when the league moved from Wallington), and a few other teams that are no longer around. My brother is currently in D6 West and D7

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Ah sounds like you joined right after I left. My last season was this past summer. My main team was the Unknowns in D4 (won the championship literally 3 days before I moved to Chicago :yo:), and I subbed on my brother's team in (I believe) D6, Decepticons. It's too tough to keep track of the divisions with how much they change. I also subbed for One Timers. I've got no idea who Butner is though.

I've also played with Dogs of War, Predators, Crickets (they quit when the league moved from Wallington), and a few other teams that are no longer around. My brother is currently in D6 West and D7

Most of my friends are either Div 1 - 2 players or god awful so we move around a lot. I remember playing the Decepticons.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Could either of you guys give me an idea of the skill level in the various divisions?

Div 1-3 - Really Really good
Div 4-6 - Really Good
Div 7 - 8 - Poor

It is really hard to explain since it is 4 on 4 roller. It is all offense and normally teams just have stars and the rest of the team is significantly below that level.

So you will have players in Div 7 that also play in Div 4, but the majority of the team isn't good.

http://www.iscahockey.com/DivisionD...ionName=DIVISION 7&League=adult&DvId=&DvName=

This is the lowest division. This Gary P guy has 24 G and 10 A on a team that scored 66 goals.

gmerger37

Dec 2, 2010
North Jersey
Div 1-3 - Really Really good
Div 4-6 - Really Good
Div 7 - 8 - Poor

It is really hard to explain since it is 4 on 4 roller. It is all offense and normally teams just have stars and the rest of the team is significantly below that level.

So you will have players in Div 7 that also play in Div 4, but the majority of the team isn't good.

http://www.iscahockey.com/DivisionD...ionName=DIVISION 7&League=adult&DvId=&DvName=

This is the lowest division. This Gary P guy has 24 G and 10 A on a team that scored 66 goals.

Thanks for the info, if I had to guess I could probably hold my own on a 4-6 division team but at the same time I probably wouldn't score 24 goals in the lowest division.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad