Speculation: Roland Melanson as new Goalie Coach?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Price had one of his worst seasons under Rollie, his thing was to tell price to play way back in the net cause he was big, well guess what if he plays out he has an even bigger advantage because he is big, that's just science

Something Groulx didn't undertand either.
They also didn't understand that you can't generate push power from your knees. You can only generate it on your feet. Pained me to watch Price play all down low play on his knees.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
He's the last person I would hire. He was an idiot. Every single goalie who left Montreal after his coaching was worst than when they first came in (Huet, Theodore, Aebischer we broken after they left MTL). He was about to do the same with Price.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
Olaf Kolzig makes the most sense to me. He worked with Carey when he was in the AHL.

Yeah, but Kolzig is currently employed by another organization. That's a bit of a problem, and unfortunately means there's little chance we get him.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
He's the last person I would hire. He was an idiot. Every single goalie who left Montreal after his coaching was worst than when they first came in (Huet, Theodore, Aebischer we broken after they left MTL). He was about to do the same with Price.

Huet had a huge spike in production here and played great in Washington. Not sure what happened in Chicago, but before Melanson had him he was a nobody back up.

He helped Theodore win a Hart and Vezina and he was no longer as good after leaving

Melanson's body of work in Montreal was excellent. Price was better with Him than Grloulx despite being younger/less experienced.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

See I would have said the exact opposite. Huet, Halak and Desjardins all went to all-star games in the same year while training with RM, Huet's career went from untrusted backup to first string , and Theodore won a Hart/Vezina.

Can't say what part of that Rollie was responsible for, or what happened to these players after they peaked, but he was handling them when they reached their career bests.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Melanson made some average goaltenders play well behind terrible lineups in Montreal. Always thought he was pretty good.

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
Melanson made some average goaltenders play well behind terrible lineups in Montreal. Always thought he was pretty good.

The problem is that he's a one trick pony and his trick isn't suited to CP's style.

I would stay far away from Melanson.

Plus:

roland_melanson110156.jpg
iwan_article.jpg

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
*sigh*. I guess we should re-hire Melanson then... :shakehead

No, been there done that, there's no sense again trying something that didn't work once.

But we shouldn't discredit Melanson either, he's a credible coach who has got results out of some goalies.

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
I think Eli Wilson would be the best hire the club could hope for. He's also stated that he would love to work for Montreal.

Just makes sense to me.

What is his resume, and why should I be happy if we hire this guy? I've never heard his name.

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
See I would have said the exact opposite. Huet, Halak and Desjardins all went to all-star games in the same year while training with RM, Huet's career went from untrusted backup to first string , and Theodore won a Hart/Vezina.

Can't say what part of that Rollie was responsible for, or what happened to these players after they peaked, but he was handling them when they reached their career bests.

I agree with this

Habiton

Apr 30, 2010
Don't count out Kolzig, he is an "associate" goalie coach with another goalie coach above him. If he becomes our goalie coach it would technically be a promotion and he would most likely have an out contract for that.

I want Kolzig.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Theo ran out of town for personal reasons? Or was it the fact that he had an .881 save pct before he left? Cmon, facts are facts.

Huet was cracking before he got traded. PPL forgot his medicore playoff series against the Canes.

Abeischer was pretty terrible in his 2 seasons and much better when he was in Colorado. He played 1 NHL game after he left Montreal, is that tells you anything about above average goal tending.

Point is, besides brilliant flashes of 20-30 games, not one goalie has had a full stellar season under his watch.

Possibly because he was fantastic against the Canes. He posted a 2.33GAA and a .929 in the super high scoring first year post lockout. We lost because we couldn't beat Ward after Gerber got pulled.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Possibly because he was fantastic against the Canes. He posted a 2.33GAA and a .929 in the super high scoring first year post lockout. We lost because we couldn't beat Ward after Gerber got pulled.

We had the 3-0 game.. and Huet let a Brind'Amour dribble through his 5 hole and then a horrid Staal shot went in during OT.

Jillannshabs*

What was that CHicago song, Oh yeah Spinning wheels, got to move on..Players coaches we fire them we hire them What a loser.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
We had the 3-0 game.. and Huet let a Brind'Amour dribble through his 5 hole and then a horrid Staal shot went in during OT.

Your memory is phenomenal. It must drive you nuts. Mine is very good, and it drives me nuts...:)

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Fortunately Bergevin isn't a complete Pejorative Slur and won't hire this clown back.

Great goalies win, forget style, technique, form. Price has had that shoved down his throat for 20 years. He's a superb pro goalie with size, intelligence and great talent.

Now is when he has to find that insane goaltender "I'll keep it out with my head if I have to" attitude.

Who's the guy to teach him that? Hasek. I'd pay the Dominator a ******** of money to coach him for one year.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I never had a problem with this guy until he was on the way out of the organization, then he started with the controversial remarks. He has not stopped since.

It is not that I have a problem with a person saying something negative about the Habs or one of their players, that I welcome, if they can back it up.

The trouble with Rollie the Goalie is that he just stinks of sour grapes. Have some class, learn to weigh your words for christ's sake. You can get the same point across without looking like a *********.

Rollie, go fishing or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad