Speculation: Roland Melanson as new Goalie Coach?

pc_md

Jun 3, 2006
I don't get these reactions. He did miracles with our previous goalies.

But the shiny new toy is always better on hfboards.

Dada

May 12, 2012
Nah, you don't get re-hired by pissing on your ex student in public, no way he's coming back

Habsterix*

Hell no! He almost single-handedly ruined Price by trying to make him a butterfly-only goalie and that's why he was fired to start with!

That's the same Melanson who can't even detect that Luongo can't stop pucks when constantly laying on his stomach!

dmanfish90

How about 76 for 25?
Jan 5, 2011
Newmarket, Ontario
Been there, done that. No thanks.

Agreed. The Habs are rocking, but not Roland.

I don't get these reactions. He did miracles with our previous goalies.

But the shiny new toy is always better on hfboards.

Which miracles are you referring to? The only one I can think of is Theodore and even then I give more credit to him than to Roland for that stellar season.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Rollie is a good coach any team would benefit from his work. He's familiar with Price and knows his tendencies. This RDS story probably killed any chance though.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Rollie is a good coach any team would benefit from his work. He's familiar with Price and knows his tendencies. This RDS story probably killed any chance though.

Rollie the goalie did good work before with Theodore, Halak, Schneider, etc... He's more developing young goalies....Price is 26 years old. I would say...try somebody else.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
After looking at Luongo's stats...he did have his best season when Melanson was hired by the canucks 2010-11.

Considering no goalie changes his style overnight, wouldn't it be more logical to suggest that, long-term, Melanson has not been beneficial to Luongo?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Still funny that 4 months ago Rollie said that Groulx was doing an oustanding job with Price!!

Price My Man Crush

Aug 27, 2011
Montréal
Is Allaire available ? Just go get him.

DvekBo8R0mZpxNrw0Gaq_poker_face_by_ragefaceicons-d58u6z8.png

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=424721

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
how can you hire a goalie coach who just ripped into the #1 and the former coach?

All the goalies he coached in MTL got ran out of town (Theo, Abeischer, Huet and soon to be Price). Exeption is Halak, but look where his career is at now.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I think Eli Wilson would be the best hire the club could hope for. He's also stated that he would love to work for Montreal.

Just makes sense to me.

jnthomas

Aug 28, 2008
Montreal
how can you hire a goalie coach who just ripped into the #1 and the former coach?

All the goalies he coached in MTL got ran out of town (Theo, Abeischer, Huet and soon to be Price). Exeption is Halak, but look where his career is at now.

If Halak had stayed in Montréal, je would have been run out of town too. How can I be certain, you ask. Because every single goalie since Roy, and this includes Roy obviously, were run out of town. We hate our goalies here. No matter who they are or the team in front of them.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004

Actually, Theo got ran out of town for personnal issues. Huet was very good when with us. Aebischer was nothing stellar, but I thought he improved while he was here. Halak was good and improved. Price was also improving until Gainey went crazy and traded Huet mid season during Price's rookie season...

I don't know Rollie myself enough to judge, but from the on ice results, the Habs always had above average goaltending while he was here, while most of the goalis themselves (Huet, Aebischer, Halak) have proven to be no more than average over the span of their careers.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
In Melanson's last season in Montreal Price's save percentage dropped from .920 to .905. Went up to .912 and .923 two following seasons.

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
Actually, Theo got ran out of town for personnal issues. Huet was very good when with us. Aebischer was nothing stellar, but I thought he improved while he was here. Halak was good and improved. Price was also improving until Gainey went crazy and traded Huet mid season during Price's rookie season...

I don't know Rollie myself enough to judge, but from the on ice results, the Habs always had above average goaltending while he was here, while most of the goalis themselves (Huet, Aebischer, Halak) have proven to be no more than average over the span of their careers.

Theo ran out of town for personal reasons? Or was it the fact that he had an .881 save pct before he left? Cmon, facts are facts.

Huet was cracking before he got traded. PPL forgot his medicore playoff series against the Canes.

Abeischer was pretty terrible in his 2 seasons and much better when he was in Colorado. He played 1 NHL game after he left Montreal, is that tells you anything about above average goal tending.

Point is, besides brilliant flashes of 20-30 games, not one goalie has had a full stellar season under his watch.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
Price had one of his worst seasons under Rollie, his thing was to tell price to play way back in the net cause he was big, well guess what if he plays out he has an even bigger advantage because he is big, that's just science

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad