Tennis: Roland Garros 2017

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
2-love, looks like only Stan stands between Rafa and #10....insult to injury, 3-love on another break. There is a greater chance of snow in Madrid tomorrow than of Thiem coming back and winning this thing....Nadal, just merciless, breaks at love, 5-love....turn out the lights.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Not much more than a good workout which Nadal needed. He will be very well rested going into the final against Wawrinka.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
That's amazing that only seven active players have won a major, and two of them only have one.

The bottom 4 combined (8) have fewer than any of the top 3 (Djokovic 12). Hell the bottom 4 combined have one fewer than Nadal has French Opens regardless of what happens on Sunday.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Ostapenko/Halep is one of those matches that upon its completion, the end result will seem clear as a bell in hindsight. Either a new star is born whose firepower overwhelms her feisty but power-challenged opponent. Or a far more experienced player will use her wiles, her hustle and her versatile game to wear down a gifted but inexperienced youngster finally overcome by her first GS final. Halep is a big favourite because she is currently #2 in the world and because the veteran usually wins this kind of match up. But the power imbalance is so great between the two that the end result seems really intriguing to me. I think there is a possibility that if Jelena is not blown away by the occasion, Ostrapenko just simply outguns Halep. So I'm going with Ostrapenko.

On the men's side, if anybody can give Nadal a challenge on clay these days, it's most likely Wawrinka. But that is almost certainly academic. Rafa gets #10.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Halep/Nadal for me.

But considering my predictions so far in this tournament, you may want to bet money on the opposite :laugh:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Halep/Nadal for me.

But considering my predictions so far in this tournament, you may want to bet money on the opposite :laugh:
Me, too. :laugh: Of course, that's nothing new in my case. At least, one of us will be right about the women's final.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Well, after the first game I'm looking like a bloody genius. Four clean winners off first or second shots. 1-love Jelena....and after the second game, I look like a ****ing idiot, 1-1. The usual pattern, in other words....Ostapenko gets another "bombs away" break, 3-2....ai, yi, yi, and again gives it right back, 3-3....5-4 on serve with Jelena taking a reckless all-or-nothing-at-all approach to just about every point. It's going to boil down to which one of the two has the weakest second serve.....Simona breaks again for the set.

Jelena has to dial it down from "11" to at least "10." Simona has done a nice job of adjusting to Ostapenko's power by now anticipating where the ball is going to go. Winners/unforced errors have a crazy big discrepancy, a snapshot of the match: Simona 1/3; Jelena 16/23.

2nd: Jelena blows a love-40 start, 1-love....Anything Simona can get a racket on comes back across the net, and now Ostapenko is getting frustrated by the need to always hit more shots than anticipated in a rally, 2-love....I would say the experience/inexperience gap is currently significantly wider than the power discrepancy....Ostapenko just barely holds, saving three break points, 3-1. A break there would have been curtains, obviously....Jelena's stroke production is getting spotty under Simona's steady pressure....but Jelena comes right back with a break of her own, 3-2.....each player is currently winning 26% of their second serves....Jelena saves two break points in holding for 3-3. Her game is played on such a knife's edge....and with another break, Jelena turns the set around, 4-3. Who'd a thunk?....she gives it right back with balls sailing long like she never heard of topspin. Definitely a work in progress, this kid....and then breaks at love and will be serving for the set at 5-4. What a roller coaster ride!...and with a dazzling display of shot making, she takes the set.

3rd set: I have no idea what to expect next....Jelena blow a 15-40 lead on Halep's serve, 1-love....the "bad" Jelena shows up, 3-1...not to worry, Ostapenko breaks right back, 3-2. Simona must have something against 3-1 leads....a very tense, well played hold, 3-3...oh my god, Jelena breaks again on the luckiest of net cords, 4-3. Similar pattern to second set....easy, peasy hold for 5-3, like this is no big deal.....and cool as a Latvian cucumber, which are way cool, Jelena breaks again for the match.

Delightful.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Why don't they have a woman in the chair for the women's final? That should have been a no-brainer I would have thought.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Key factor: each woman is currently winning 26% of their second serves.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
If charisma was jet fuel, Ostapenko could fly from Toronto to the South Pole.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
A little into the third set: winners/unforced errors:

Simona 6/9
Jelena 43/46

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Winners/unforced errors for the entire match:

Simona 8/10
Jelena 54/54

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
At 0-3 in 2nd set I thought she was done. It was actually a hair away from 0-4 too. She has insane mental strength. Went for winners all game long no matter the situation. I love that. I hate pushers like Halep. Ostapenko dictated the play and she deserves it.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
What a tourney for the youngster indeed. I cannot wait for Stan vs. Rafa tomorrow. Rafa dominates clay, but if there is one guy who can dictate pace on the red clay, it's Stan. The guy is hitting sitters 100mph. Anyone who has played tennis knows how hard it is to generate pure pace on sitters.

Cannot WAIT for tomorrow.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
So how many of you guys picked Ostapenko? Huh? Huh? :D

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad