Tennis: Roland Garros 2017

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Qualifying begins tomorrow!

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/draws/index.html

6 Canadians in qualifying. 3 on each side.

18 year old Shapovalov gets a very tough draw with the #1 seed Copil.

Polansky and Diez are also in for the men. Wozniak, Abanda and 16 year old Bianca Andreescu on the women's side.

Raonic and Bouchard are in the MD. Pospisil is skipping Roland Garros to rest up for the grass season.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
So lots of story lines going into this year's tournament.

Defending champs are Djokovic and Muguruza.

On the men's side, Nadal is considered the favorite. He had to withdraw from the tournament in the 3rd round last year due to injury, which opened the door for Novak. Besides a blip against Thiem, he's looked very strong this clay season. World #1 Murray has been terrible on clay so far and I'm not sure I'd even put him in the top 5 of likely to win. Djokovic is rounding into form but I'm not sure I like his chances. Two young guns Thiem and Zverev both won the Masters tournaments heading in and could make a deep run. Raonic has looked decent on clay but he'll need a good draw I think. Stan is always dangerous but he is unpredictable.

On the women's side, the star power is lacking. No Serena, no Sharapova, no Kvitova. Muguruza is defending champ but she retired from her SF match yesterday so I don't know her status. To say the field is wide open, might be an understatement.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
2 out 3 of the Canadian men won their first round qualifying matches, Polansky and Diez. Shapovalov lost in 3 sets.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I thought I had read that Sharapova received a wildcard so I am pleased to see it was denied. She shouldn't be getting any special treatment.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I thought I had read that Sharapova received a wildcard so I am pleased to see it was denied. She shouldn't be getting any special treatment.
She got a wild card for the Roger's Cup. Maybe that's what you saw.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
She got a wild card for the Roger's Cup. Maybe that's what you saw.

Well that sucks. She totally doesn't deserve it. Anyone that uses drugs should start from scratch, not get special treatment.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
My upset pick for R1 is Kohlschreiber vs. Kyrgios. Tough spot for Nick.

A.Zverev also in tough against Verdasco. Verdasco hasn't had a great 2017 but he is a dangerous opponent. Zverev should get through but nothing would shock me here.

Djokovic with a pretty nice draw.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
My upset pick for R1 is Kohlschreiber vs. Kyrgios. Tough spot for Nick.

A.Zverev also in tough against Verdasco. Verdasco hasn't had a great 2017 but he is a dangerous opponent. Zverev should get through but nothing would shock me here.

Djokovic with a pretty nice draw.
I'll pick a minor upset: Jordan Thompson over John Isner in the first round. And, yikes, I don't like Nole's draw at all. His last five matches could look something like M. Zverev, Pouille, Thiem, Nadal, A. Zverev/Wawrinka/Murray. Rafa's draw, though, seems very manageable, and, given Murray's recent form, Alexander Zverev's draw looks close to a dream (top half of draw looks ripe for the picking--Wawrinka's chances look sweet, too). Funnest match of the first round has got to be Dustin Brown versus Gaels Monfils.

Men's Pick: Nadal (with Alexander Zverev as the main challenger and Pouille as the dark horse)
Women's Pick: Karolina Pliskova (with Svitollina as dark horse and Yulia Putintseva as super dark horse)

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
20 year old Françoise Abanda is the only Canadian to make it through qualifying.

This will be second time in a major MD draw (lost first round in 2014 at the US Open).

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Even though every tennis player wants to be the world #1 some really don't deal well with the limelight, extracurriculars, and pressure that comes with it. I reckon Kerber might be one of those people.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Points are off from last year's tournament in the live rankings. Djokovic only a couple hundred ahead of Nadal right now.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Francoise Abanda into the 2nd round with a straight sets win! Wozniacki next.

Djokovic and Nadal not having much trouble today.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Waw and Svitolina
During Stan's win over Mischa Zverev in the Geneva final, I was thinking that Wawrinka might be a damn good choice in Paris. He seems to be rounding into form at the right time, and he really has no significant weaknesses anywhere in his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad