News Article: Rogers must be watching - Ron Maclean replaces Strombo + big changes (Healy is gone!)

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Joe Bowen wouldn't sell east of Sudbury unfortunately as he's too much of a Leafer, however for the midweek regional games he'd be fine

I don't get the hate for Paul Romanuk, I'd much rather listen to him or Dave Randorf then Hughson's crew

have Garry Galley or Jason York do the colour, and send Hughson's team out west to do the late game

As far as Stromboulopolous is concerned, while he may really love hockey and all that, he really didn't play at a high enough level to bring any unique insight or to ask the real informative questions, anybody can set up the softballs he was pitching

I like Randorf. He at least knows how to tell the players apart, and I like his voice as well.

Romanuk for the two seasons he's called the Leafs still mixes up the players far too often. Bob Cole does it it's fine, he's old. Romanuk should not still be confusing the players at this point. He also just has no chemistry with the colour guys,

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
Joe Bowen wouldn't sell east of Sudbury unfortunately as he's too much of a Leafer, however for the midweek regional games he'd be fine

I don't get the hate for Paul Romanuk, I'd much rather listen to him or Dave Randorf then Hughson's crew

have Garry Galley or Jason York do the colour, and send Hughson's team out west to do the late game

As far as Stromboulopolous is concerned, while he may really love hockey and all that, he really didn't play at a high enough level to bring any unique insight or to ask the real informative questions, anybody can set up the softballs he was pitching

PRRREEEACCHHHHH!! :yo:

The only person I want to kick in the nuts more than Healy is Hughson.

But in reality Gord Miller needs to be calling all games with Uncle Ray

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Very good news. He's absolutely awful. I expect an HNIC host to know his hockey, not run around in skinny pants and come off like a curbside used car salesman.

Maclean knows his stuff. Rogers tried to change something that was fine as it was. Combined with the Leafs drafting Matthews and likely being improved next season, it bodes well for ratings.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Nothing against Strombo, but I do like the move. I think MacLean is the right guy to be at the top there. Wouldn't necessarily mind Strombo in a more support position.

I'm all for a lot of changes. Would care about no other changes if they would just dumb Healy. I can understand having a contrary view or whatever. But that guy literally makes me want to mute the TV when he starts talking.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
I was a big fan of the hour and I feel George is a great interviewer. However I couldn't get past the skinny pants on hnic. Not the right feel.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Thank the heavens. How Ron, or a similar caliber host, wasn't the first choice is unforgivable.

Now get rid of Healy. ;)

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
I was a big fan of the hour and I feel George is a great interviewer. However I couldn't get past the skinny pants on hnic. Not the right feel.

I feel like he could still have his place on the staff. Doing those group interviews for example. But as a host of the entire production, not so much.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
didn't understand the need to change in the first place

I believe Strombo would have grown into the role over time as long as he started to dress like an adult . His skin tight pants and his jackets which looked 2 sizes too small were a distraction , especially when the person wearing it is well into his 40's .

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
So epic that the Leafs being bad led to bad ratings, and indirectly led to super Hab fan Strombo getting canned.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
HNIC is Coach's corner. Everything else is no important. Strombo is whatever he is, but he isn't a problem. They spent all this money on sets and personnel, but the reality is that people tuned in to see Don and Ron and the rest is just dressing.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Na na na na, na na na na
Heeeeeeeeeeeey, Goodbye!

ddc82de5a7e37af3fc5ee190e3763cf7.jpg

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
For F's sake can they get Joe Bowen calling the games again.

This. Getting rid of Bowen was a mistake that likely costed them Leafs viewership. Bowen is one of the best in the business IMO, homer or not.

Let's go back to old school hockey broadcasting!!

All this fancy **** is just annoying! I like Coach's corner during 1st intermission and hockey rumours, insider stuff during second. I liked the hot stove but no Cox or other dumbass. I wouldn't mind Maclean, Friedman and Lebrun.

NO HEALY WHATSOEVER!!! Bring back Bowen and whatever crew they can still find.

I agree... and maybe throw in an ex-NHL hockey personality like Armstrong for commentary (similar to O'Dog).

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I am a huge fan of Strombolopoulos as an interviewer, he set himself apart from the field back at MuchMusic and again on his CBC show "The Hour".

But he was a terrible hiring for HNiC. And they made absolutely no use of his talent for interviewing.

The tone of his voice, the cadence with which he speaks, the poise. They're all masterful when used for interviews but completely useless for a sports news personality.

Rogers in general has been absolutely terrible at hiring good on-screen personalities. They sorely lack the up-tempo excitement that TSN has been so good at putting together.

It's good for Strombo. Hopefully he gets back on the interview circuit.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
This. Getting rid of Bowen was a mistake that likely costed them Leafs viewership. Bowen is one of the best in the business IMO, homer or not.

I agree... and maybe throw in an ex-NHL hockey personality like Armstrong for commentary (similar to O'Dog).

That would be great. But someone who is linked in with the going-ons of the NHL. Kind of like Kyper and Doug Maclean but good!

Kamal007

FEEL LIKE PABLO
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
I like Strombo on hockey night and like him overall but it never made sense to replacement Ron. Let Ron retire as the head of HNIC and let Strombo do what Ron's doing now, with some side interviews. Let him eventually replace Ron when he retires.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
TSN actually offered more. The reason that Rogers was awarded the rights is because TSN felt that they already had it in the bag and the NHL didn't like that.

what? wow. i had always thought that TSN's offer wasn't that much. - then that's stupid on the NHL to take less money because TSN (who is clearly better) thought they had it. Even Rogers knew TSN was better that's why they went after all of their guys but almost all said no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad