OT: Rogers Media Acquires the Score

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Yea saw this earlier. I hate it. The Score's production value was low, but it was the last sports station where you could find relatively unbiased opinions. Now it's just gonna be Sportsnet Jr. I hope they continue to show College hockey on sundays.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Hopefully they move all the crap like Poker (which is not a sport) to the Score's channel and leave Sportsnet as a true sports giant.

kerk

Apr 27, 2009
the score has my favourite late night highlights of all the sports channels and i really really hope that rogers don't go and change it too much

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
When I was watching Jackie and Brad May on The Score they had Sportsnet Connected commercials and was like what the hell.. Lol. Makes sence now

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
The score has the best soccer coverage so I hope that doesn't change. I actually like the score, Sportsnet not so much

They went downhill a bit in recent years. Lost many good hockey guys. I used to love Hardcore Hockey Talk and Cabbie presents. TSN is the only one I watch regularly now

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Maybe they'll actually show Hockey on the Score now , not horse racing

They probably won't. Even though the channel is now owned by Rogers it is only allowed to show a certain amount of live sports while keeping a constant ticker running. Even when the channel shows WWE it runs it on a 15 minute delay so then it's not actually live anymore.

The Score

In March 2000, Headline Sports' licence was amended by the CRTC to allow live sports programming, under the conditions that the channel display the ticker and that breaks away from live coverage occur at least once every fifteen minutes to present video highlights. As a result of this—as well as legal issues with CNN Headline News, which had its own "Headline Sports" segment[2]—the station was re-branded as "The Score" that year.

Although Rogers has asked for leniency from the CRTC.

While Rogers plans to continue running The Score as a sports news service, it has also requested that the CRTC ease some of the restrictions that had been placed on the network in order to allow it to be more competitive with other Canadian sports channels. Namely, Rogers requested that it only be required to air one sports news update per-hour during live programming.

I've also heard Tim and Sid will be simulcast on the Score now from 1 to 4.

Baarle*

May 29, 2010
28.294194, -39.07612
Many of the good talk people now come from the score originally, quite a few reporters on TSN come from The Score. They used to have Sunday morning EPL a couple years ago which was great. Footy Show is also excellent. Soccer Central on Sportsnet is crap. I basically watch the first 10 minutes of sportscentre for the main stories, and after that flip to The Score for the rest of the highlights.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
This weirded me out when I went to The Score channel and saw Doug MacClean... Sadly I'll probably being seeing him on both channels, as if he wasn't annoying enough.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
The score has a great iOS/Android app. Just don't change that. Never really turn the channel on, so not concerned.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Hopefully they move all the crap like Poker (which is not a sport) to the Score's channel and leave Sportsnet as a true sports giant.
Neither is watching dog shows or cars driving(not racing) but it doesn't stop TSN from doing it lol

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
good for Rogers
the Score is pretty good, more old fashioned but a lot of information

in terms of doing a Leaf story for example, or any hockey
you'll find more details and effort in the Score's version
compared to TSN

even Sportsnet cares more about hockey than TSN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad