Rogers broadcast schedule 2014-2015

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I heard that on their next election, that's what the Harper goverment wanted to base their campain on, I'm not making this up, to stop TV Cable/Digital providers from using monopoly to make people pay through the nose and have a system where people would choose their own channels. They are talking about adressing what bogs the consummers and put that in their campain.

That would be a big positive as far as sports but it could hurt the little channels that still employ a ton of people.

This would be bad for sports fans but good for viewers of other TV. I guarantee you that sports fans will end up paying more than they currently are now.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I heard that on their next election, that's what the Harper goverment wanted to base their campain on, I'm not making this up, to stop TV Cable/Digital providers from using monopoly to make people pay through the nose and have a system where people would choose their own channels. They are talking about adressing what bogs the consummers and put that in their campain.

That would be a big positive as far as sports but it could hurt the little channels that still employ a ton of people.

I read several months ago that the consumer should already have more choice when it comes to purchasing channels that they want, rather than having to buy a whole package. I'm pretty sure that mandate came from the CRTC itself.

However, I was looking at my options about a month ago, and my selection is actually MORE rigid than ever. There are basically only 3 different package types available, and the cable company chooses which channels will be included in those packages.... very discouraging.

Its these types of strategies that will cause an increasing amount of people to compromise their own ethical standards, and lean towards alternative providers, which may be of the illegal variety.

So who really wins in the end if the telecommunication companies don't change their ways? Nobody.

Last edited:

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
This would be bad for sports fans but good for viewers of other TV. I guarantee you that sports fans will end up paying more than they currently are now.
yeah, it's kind of funny how sports fans seem to be leading this charge when they are the ones who get subsidized via all the people who don't watch sports yet still pay for cable. Europe has a la carte pricing, and there the channels with soccer are between $40-60 a month. Have fun with that.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
yeah, it's kind of funny how sports fans seem to be leading this charge when they are the ones who get subsidized via all the people who don't watch sports yet still pay for cable. Europe has a la carte pricing, and there the channels with soccer are between $40-60 a month. Have fun with that.

Yeah, there's a lot of subsidization built into cable bundling. The problem is this subsidization has led to a great deal of channels having inflated income from subscriber money they don't deserve. In a truly a-la-carte programming world unwatched content would be allowed to die off, watched content would thrive, and the market not the cable companies would choose the winners.

The problem is the content providers will fight tooth and nail to keep their inflated profit levels up.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Yeah, there's a lot of subsidization built into cable bundling. The problem is this subsidization has led to a great deal of channels having inflated income from subscriber money they don't deserve. In a truly a-la-carte programming world unwatched content would be allowed to die off, watched content would thrive, and the market not the cable companies would choose the winners.

The problem is the content providers will fight tooth and nail to keep their inflated profit levels up.

Then again, in Canada we have Canadian content rules ... which in turn would mean if the small Canadian content channels die off we could be watching Beachcomber reruns to balance instead of HBO.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Rogers announces their on air talent. PJ Stock and Healy made the cut as did Cassie Campbell. All I have to say is this looks like a train wreck about to happen.

Davebo*

Rogers announces their on air talent. PJ Stock and Healy made the cut as did Cassie Campbell. All I have to say is this looks like a train wreck about to happen.

At least they are going out of their way to make it difficult and expensive for us to see them - if we choose to at all, that is.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
So long Kevin Weekes and Andi Petrillo, hello PJ Stock, Glen Healy and Nik Kypreos.

Also, goodbye Sportsnet and hello mute button. And actually, this is a different topic and should have its own thread.

CBCnutcase

Sep 11, 2007
TSN president was on the radio in montreal today to hype their new 5 channel format launched today. Mitch Melnick asked him why no Habs English regional package. He did not want to answer but Mitch pursued him. He finally admitted there will be no English regional package for the Habs because We share the same region with the Sens. And since TSN has contracted to show 53 Regional Sens games there is no room for a Habs regional package. Ironically our only hope now for a Habs regional English package is Rogers Sportsnet East the channel that lost the Sens English regional rights.
Just like I said in the other threads, the pres gave a super dumb answer and is basically lying about no room for the Habs. The Flames and Oilers share the same region and Sportsnet West has been showing both teams regional games since 1998. Around 2002 for 2 seasons, SN East did carry some Habs games. Look for an announcement from SN on Sept. 3 so says Scott Moore. https://twitter.com/Habs360/status/502603590528024576

Davebo*

Too late, Scott Moore - I've made alternate plans with my viewing dollars.

Snooze and you will lose - why they overlooked arguably the largest fanbase in hockey is beyond me. His forthcoming announcement might amount to 'screw you Habs fans!' for all we know.

missthenet

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Just like I said in the other threads, the pres gave a super dumb answer and is basically lying about no room for the Habs. The Flames and Oilers share the same region and Sportsnet West has been showing both teams regional games since 1998. Around 2002 for 2 seasons, SN East did carry some Habs games. Look for an announcement from SN on Sept. 3 so says Scott Moore. https://twitter.com/Habs360/status/502603590528024576

At least you will have the option to watch the games in French, those of us outside the region will no langer get any of those games and will be stuck watching teams we have no nterest in unless they are playing the habs. My wife is very happy I will go from watching all 82 games the last few years down to only 32 games. Have no idea what the NHL, Rogers or the habs are thinking. Thanks for the big snub from the West Coast!

Atomsmasher

Oct 10, 2013
It doesn't really matter because if you have the Rogers package with all the SN channels there are no black-outs. Only on the nights that TSN has regional coverage that's when there will be black-outs for people who aren't in the area. Other than that there will be no black-outs on the SN channels.

For example someone who lives in B.C who has SN-East or SN-Ontario and is a Leafs or Habs fan will be able to watch the game. It's only when the Habs are on TSN-Habs for their regional coverage where the fans in B.C will be blacked out from watching them. Not sure how many games TSN has but thats the way it'll work.

I have all the SN channels and SN-Pacific used to be blacked out all the time during Canuck games but not anymore. I'll be able to watch the Canucks-Oilers on SN-Pacific, flip the channel and watch Flames-Blackhawks on SN-West, flip to SN-East and watch Ottawa-Buffalo, turn to the main SN channel and watch the Leafs taking on whoever they're playing. It's totally new and it's going to be great. TSN was late to the party when it came to multiple stations. They wish they had 4-5 channels to do something like this. This has never been done before.

Edit: CBC did this but all their channels were regionalized, with this new deal Rogers has opened up everything for everybody.

On the very rare instance that say at least three of those teams aren't blacked out regionally. TSN is still carrying a lot of games, except now by adding channels and enforcing the regions, living in Atlantic Canada I lose all my Leafs games (yes, I know I'm in a Hab section). Regardless of what happens, everyone who is a fan of hockey is getting screwed somehow with this new deal. Just have to wait 'til it's done or the NHL finds a way out of it because of low ratings. I paid for Centre Ice last year (which this year looks to be pretty useless), so this year I'll probably stream everything. It ain't HD, but it's better than Rogers garbage.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
On the very rare instance that say at least three of those teams aren't blacked out regionally. TSN is still carrying a lot of games, except now by adding channels and enforcing the regions, living in Atlantic Canada I lose all my Leafs games (yes, I know I'm in a Hab section). Regardless of what happens, everyone who is a fan of hockey is getting screwed somehow with this new deal. Just have to wait 'til it's done or the NHL finds a way out of it because of low ratings. I paid for Centre Ice last year (which this year looks to be pretty useless), so this year I'll probably stream everything. It ain't HD, but it's better than Rogers garbage.

I completely disagree. I love the new deal that will not only let me watch all Habs games in English, but more NHL hockey overall.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
will tva sports broadcast the pre-season games that RDS won't broadcast or are we not going to see them on tv at all?

Zorro

Aug 5, 2011
i haven't been following the ongoings of the broadcast schedule but was wondering if someone could let me know what my options are. I live in Ottawa and have always been able to watch RDS. Will i still be able to watch the 60 games that RDS will show?

Thanks!

Last edited:

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
I completely disagree. I love the new deal that will not only let me watch all Habs games in English, but more NHL hockey overall.

How will you be able to watch all Habs games in English? To my knowledge, the only games broadcast in English will be the 32 nationally televised games. This could change tomorrow with the Sportsnet announcement, but as of now only 32 games in English.

gee

Jun 28, 2007
Winnipeg
are broadcasters permitted to scrap the blackout for regional games in areas where they own the coverage for both teams - for example, with Sportsnet covering Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton, are they able to scrap the blackout in favour of a shared broadcast region? If so, then adding Canadiens broadcast rights would be an enhancement to such a shared broadcast region.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad