Sportsnet: Roenick: Leafs leaders must be held accountable

TheScruffington

Apr 17, 2014
We didn't let Sundin walk for nothing he refused a trade. Grabovski had a bad season after signing the contract, a lot of teams probably took a pass on him. And this is a league wide problem, a lot of teams lose good players for nothing, some even franchise players. Just part of the game; it's not exclusive to our team.

Oh yeah, you're right on Sundin, my bad. It was actually around 07-08 that I stopped watching the Leafs so I didn't exactly know how that went down, all I knew is that he didn't get traded. I only started watching the Leafs again at the start of 2013. Been watching all playoff games every year though.

In that case, that wasn't management's fault, but it's still reflective on the fact that we have trouble selling high on players or making any transactions to put more prospects/picks into our system. I had read a few posts that people were wanting Grabo and MacArthur to be traded around 2012, when they had greater value. The end result is that we bought out Grabovski and he signed elsewhere, and MacArthur walked. We didn't get anything out of those players.

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on
Oh yeah, you're right on Sundin, my bad. It was actually around 07-08 that I stopped watching the Leafs so I didn't exactly know how that went down, all I knew is that he didn't get traded. I only started watching the Leafs again at the start of 2013. Been watching all playoff games every year though.

In that case, that wasn't management's fault, but it's still reflective on the fact that we have trouble selling high on players or making any transactions to put more prospects/picks into our system. I had read a few posts that people were wanting Grabo and MacArthur to be traded around 2012, when they had greater value. The end result is that we bought out Grabovski and he signed elsewhere, and MacArthur walked. We didn't get anything out of those players.

My point still stands that this is a wide league issue. Nashville and NJ lost not good players, but franchise ones, and got nothing in return. It's part of the way the league works. Some teams will hold onto players especially if they are about to go to the playoffs or are in the playoff race.

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009
Just watching old footage of Wendy's return to the Leafs back in '96, not the best team, but man, what the **** happened to us? just watching the leafs of old and the way we use to forecheck, move the puck out of our zone, we really really REALLY lost our way #captainobviousbutstill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deyINv6RY0g

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
based on what? ...winning the odd faceoff, then contributing NOTHING at all other than being semi in position. his play slacked off huge this year, and I hope he is not offered a contract.

cent percent totally agree

That Gretzky sure played a hard nosed grinding game didn't he?

a little disingenuous no? That kind of play was never expected from Wayne, he just needed to be Wayne 99% of the time which he was

There's an expectation for Phaneuf to be a physical player

And Torts as coach. Never a dull moment from then on.

with a JR/torts combo you wouldn't need a cup, it would only end up being a overdose of entertainment......:laugh:

Gleason may not be able to skate anymore, but, he was the only d-man who ever stuck up for his goalies

unfortunately he really doesn't have the wheels to play at this level anymore

I like Gleason but at 4 mill for 2 more years they need to try and move him

+1

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Remember when Roenick cried after the black hawks won the cup a few years back?

Raw emotion. He actually gives a damn about his team even though he was long retired at that point, unlike many of our players.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Raw emotion. He actually gives a damn about his team even though he was long retired at that point, unlike many of our players.

What I miss are players you look at and identify them to a team and style. Like Bobby Clarke is a Flyer or Roenick is a Hawk. When fans say this guy was born to be a Bruin they are describing a franchise identity. Big Bad Bruins, Broadstreet bullies, what are we?

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
maybe Roenick can come play for us, he can take Clarkson's salary.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
What I miss are players you look at and identify them to a team and style. Like Bobby Clarke is a Flyer or Roenick is a Hawk. When fans say this guy was born to be a Bruin they are describing a franchise identity. Big Bad Bruins, Broadstreet bullies, what are we?

3rd and 4th line grinders.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London

Don't ask and I won't tell...?

This is my year!
Dec 19, 2011
The past

Perennial losers.

Wendel Clark and Doug Gilmour were born to be maple leafs, Roberts, Tucker, Corson, Salming. We need tough players that play with heart and emotion. I don't care if they win the cup every year, but I expect them to leave it all on the ice. I hoped Clarkson was that type of guy.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009

What happened to the 'Bay Street Bullies'? We were there for a year. People feared the 'Blue Bombers' (however cheesy that was in regards to Orr and McLaren). We played a hard nosed hitting game and no one took liberties with our skilled players. I just want to know what changed from last year to this year. We retained a lot of our players that took this team to Game 7 against the Big Bad Bruins while adding pieces that were supposed to give us a boost in the playoffs in Clarkson and Bolland. We brought in a stud goalie who didn't have a chance in LA behind one of the best goalies in the world. With all of these things taken in to consideration, we should have been a MUCH BETTER team than last year.

I know it's not possible but every player should be asked 'What do you think went wrong' and if they answer 'I don't know' or 'We were getting out worked and they wanted it more than us', they should get removed from this team. To reiterate, I fully understand that it's not possible but we NEED a culture change.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
What happened to the 'Bay Street Bullies'? We were there for a year. People feared the 'Blue Bombers' (however cheesy that was in regards to Orr and McLaren). We played a hard nosed hitting game and no one took liberties with our skilled players. I just want to know what changed from last year to this year. We retained a lot of our players that took this team to Game 7 against the Big Bad Bruins while adding pieces that were supposed to give us a boost in the playoffs in Clarkson and Bolland. We brought in a stud goalie who didn't have a chance in LA behind one of the best goalies in the world. With all of these things taken in to consideration, we should have been a MUCH BETTER team than last year.

I know it's not possible but every player should be asked 'What do you think went wrong' and if they answer 'I don't know' or 'We were getting out worked and they wanted it more than us', they should get removed from this team. To reiterate, I fully understand that it's not possible but we NEED a culture change.

I don't get it either. I mean at the very least if we are an epic collapse team I'd rather add a bunch of Rinaldo,Cooke,Carcilllo,Clifford and go out with a bang and not a wimper. We didn't even punch anyone in the face on the way out. At least be a blue collar, hard working team with a Kessel and that would be better.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Perennial losers.

Wendel Clark and Doug Gilmour were born to be maple leafs, Roberts, Tucker, Corson, Salming. We need tough players that play with heart and emotion. I don't care if they win the cup every year, but I expect them to leave it all on the ice. I hoped Clarkson was that type of guy.

Clarkson wears his helmet home from the rink. Does that count?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Seriously Trap, you need to ask?

NCAA frat boys.

A league that asks you to play only 40 ish games a year, with little fighting and battle to worry about.

Of all the dev programs to draft from , the NCAA has got the be the easiest and softest of the bunch.

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
and this is why you and I are buddies. that's all I want.
if the leafs work hard and we miss out, that's fine
if the leafs work hard and we get to the finals - that's great
but this crap of "well I don't know what happened, they out worked us, they wanted it more." is something i never ever ever want to hear again

Couldn't word it any better than this. This is why the Raptors are loved. They don't have any all-stars outside of DeMar, but they all work hard and show that they care on the court. Even if they lose, you can rarely fault it to being "outworked". The Leafs have almost none of that passion.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006

Look at his pretty hair and his nice suit. Boy, what a fancy car! He is meant to be a Leaf.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Everything we lack, we had in Grabovski LoL. Need puck possession? Check. A forward that back-checks? Check. Representative for the fans to call Carlyle a stupid idiot? Check.

Him and Gardiner always had the puck on their stick, even if nothing came of it.

Pretty much, he was great at carrying the puck through the middle, none of our current centers can do that.. Kadri doesnt quite have the speed to do it often, Bozak never has the puck for more then a second and Bolland is more of a dump and chase player.

Honestly Grabos contract was too big and i like Bolland better for the 3C role but he was really good at carrying the puck and we do sorta miss him, Raymond is similar to him though.

I think we miss Macarthur more...Bolland back checks harder then Grabo although Grabo makes up for that for the fact that hes a stronger skater.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad