Sportsnet: Roenick: Leafs leaders must be held accountable

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
The team does need better leadership from the whole group, not just one individual and cannot go game in and game out accepting defeat

The team needs to get rid of dead weight(see Franson, Cody first amongst a few)

The team needs some physical two way forwards who are players and not fighters first

The team needs to establish right from the outset of games that no one gets or goes near their goaltenders and if they seem to want to and aren't getting the message then fire a cannonball at the opposing goalie

Saw none of that this past season

Gleason may not be able to skate anymore, but, he was the only d-man who ever stuck up for his goalies

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
based on what? ...winning the odd faceoff, then contributing NOTHING at all other than being semi in position. his play slacked off huge this year, and I hope he is not offered a contract.

Me too. Jay is overrated. I liked him last year but he clearly took 5 steps backwards this year, and I bet he's asking for 2-2.5mil for 3-4 years, in which I say bye bye bye!!!

getyourselfsomerest

Jul 22, 2011
I actually agreed with that quote as well. Franson was a different player last year, not sure what happened. He thought he was worth 4m+... good thing Nonis didn't give him the contract he originally wanted.

I don't think he was a different player. Same player in a very sheltered role.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
based on what? ...winning the odd faceoff, then contributing NOTHING at all other than being semi in position. his play slacked off huge this year, and I hope he is not offered a contract.

McClement was overworked. When they had their C injuries, Carlyle bumped up McClement to third line, giving him more even strength minutes and having him log his usual high minutes on the PK. McClement was noticeably bad during that stretch of time and he seemed to have no affect on the PK. Both areas got better once he was slotted back into his usual role.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
Based on being one of the few Leafs who consistently gave an honest effort, and at least tried to play defense. He didn't have a great year, but you can't fault his work ethic.

hockeyfanz*

I really like JR. He's one of the few analysts that still thinks and talks like a player, not a media guy sitting on his butt talking nonsense.

Love the guy. Tells it like it is. AND he speaks from experience. He was a damn good hockey player and one gritty SOB. Anybody who doubts what this guy has to say....should have watched him play. There is nobody on the Leafs roster who played with the intensity that Roenick played with.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
lmao people who love kessel stop reading because this will unravel everything about kessel and why we should trade him:
kessel is paid 8 mill, he doesn't compete when the puck is off his stick. When its on his stick he is one of the most dangerous players in the NHL, however, he is lazy, doesn't hit, doesn't compete for pucks in corners ect. I bet his forchecking numbers would be like 10% (1/10 pucks dumped into the corner he gets) and like 5% he gets/gives a chance to score. He just breaks down the wing with his speed, one trick pony. He is a PPG player, and elite superstar BUT NOT A SUPERSTAR U CAN WIN WITH AS UR PRIMARY PLAYER. The Chicago blackhawks have a kessel in kane, they also have a toews. Toronto if added a Toews might havea chance, but only place to acquire one of these players is through the draft and then kessel, phaneuf ect will be 30+ by the time those players become good NHLers, aka why we should trade them away, develop through the draft and in 3+ years have an actual competitive team instead of this bs crap team "retool, derp derp derp we need playoffs mentality" they keep doing.

When ur top player isn't playing defence why should the other players? accountability is lost in kessel/phaneuf and thats the reason why we should trade both, not because they aren't good players but neither are a "core" type of player imo, more like really really good complimentary pieces.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
lmao people who love kessel stop reading because this will unravel everything about kessel and why we should trade him:
kessel is paid 8 mill, he doesn't compete when the puck is off his stick. When its on his stick he is one of the most dangerous players in the NHL, however, he is lazy, doesn't hit, doesn't compete for pucks in corners ect. I bet his forchecking numbers would be like 10% (1/10 pucks dumped into the corner he gets) and like 5% he gets/gives a chance to score. He just breaks down the wing with his speed, one trick pony. He is a PPG player, and elite superstar BUT NOT A SUPERSTAR U CAN WIN WITH AS UR PRIMARY PLAYER. The Chicago blackhawks have a kessel in kane, they also have a toews. Toronto if added a Toews might havea chance, but only place to acquire one of these players is through the draft and then kessel, phaneuf ect will be 30+ by the time those players become good NHLers, aka why we should trade them away, develop through the draft and in 3+ years have an actual competitive team instead of this bs crap team "retool, derp derp derp we need playoffs mentality" they keep doing.

When ur top player isn't playing defence why should the other players? accountability is lost in kessel/phaneuf and thats the reason why we should trade both, not because they aren't good players but neither are a "core" type of player imo, more like really really good complimentary pieces.

you think shanahan hasnt seen this stat too?.....i think either kessel leads this team or you move him .he really didnt compete ,JR hit it on the head ,your leaders make the most money .if they cant lead then why the hell should the grunts work for 1/3 of the money .....

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
you think shanahan hasnt seen this stat too?.....i think either kessel leads this team or you move him .he really didnt compete ,JR hit it on the head ,your leaders make the most money .if they cant lead then why the hell should the grunts work for 1/3 of the money .....

this could be the issue with this club, and if it is, then it needs major changes.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The problem is even if the grunts are competing it won't lead you anywhere . Your top players are getting the most mins and they're the ones who are expected to win you games .

When your top forward is a one way player and your top D is nothing more than an overpaid/overrated 2nd pair D the reality is your not going to ever be an elite team .

Our goalies masked our problems for 60ish games but once they came down to earth the team crashed and burned again .

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
I agree with the team defense point. It's very very true.

We need more two way forwards.

And Franson needs to be better or go.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Love the guy. Tells it like it is. AND he speaks from experience. He was a damn good hockey player and one gritty SOB. Anybody who doubts what this guy has to say....should have watched him play. There is nobody on the Leafs roster who played with the intensity that Roenick played with.

One of the greatest players ever to play the game on NHL 94

tzinc

Oct 20, 2009
Leafs Nation
this team has number 2 DEF playing as number 1 that means it has number 3 DEF playing as number 2 - ie the DEF sucks with the exception of Gunnarson (who loads of fans want to trade away lol)

the team has one number one forward at a W position

Nonis has made a series of ridiculous moves Clarkson Gleason etc

no amount of culture will make up for lack of talent

only in TO could Dion be proclaimed a number ONE and be given 7 million wow

this is how Burke doomed the team TERRIBLE SIGNINGS eating up cap

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Mutiny is closer than Shanny thinks.

Im tired of their lip service.Same old same old,same result.Throwing money around like drunken sailors and no prospect pool after how many years of sucking? No accountability. Im truly fed up. Outplayed night after night and these morons cant see a problem? Paying players as if they were stars forcing round pegs into square holes.

Booing,holding onto crap coaches too long, signing guys longterm to huge money crippling the team,trading picks away I see no recipe for winning here,just repackaging.So they don't rebuild and miss the playoffs,You will finally see a mutiny of the fans and I can smell it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Im tired of their lip service.Same old same old,same result.Throwing money around like drunken sailors and no prospect pool after how many years of sucking? No accountability. Im truly fed up. Outplayed night after night and these morons cant see a problem? Paying players as if they were stars forcing round pegs into square holes.

Booing,holding onto crap coaches too long, signing guys longterm to huge money crippling the team,trading picks away I see no recipe for winning here,just repackaging.So they don't rebuild and miss the playoffs,You will finally see a mutiny of the fans and I can smell it.

Maybe I misunderstood the Press Conference but they seem like they were aware there is a problem.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
You know what, I'm not sure he acts tough often enough for a captain. A guy his size and his position as a leader and he never sticks up for teammates.

Is he actually a pansy though?

I'm not so sure. I think he might think he's soooo important to the team that he doesn't want to put his team down by going to the box.

Basically, he's an idiot who has no idea how to lead by example, doesn't play on the edge ever (unless he's lining up JVR for a Scott Stevens style mid ice hit)

If he's either traded or the C removed, that will tell us a whole lot about where this team is going.

If Phaneuf is still the leader on this team going into next year well we're just in for more of the same old.
That Gretzky sure played a hard nosed grinding game didn't he?

Mar 26, 2010
Its very simple. Phaneuf is not even close to a #1 D in the NHL. Just because he is paid like a # 1 and is a legend in his own mind.....That does NOT make him one.

#TradePhaneuf

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
That Gretzky sure played a hard nosed grinding game didn't he?

Are you trying to compare a dman who put up little offense to the man who put hockey on the map? The greatest player ever? Who has almost 900 career goals? Gretzky didn't have to play physical, he had Hockey IQ. Phaneuf has 0 iq, wasn't a game changer, didnt put up elite level of points (for a dman) and can't skate for ****. Don't see the comparison.

TheScruffington

Apr 17, 2014
The Leafs core group is flawed, but management has been the bigger problem.

The only good trade we really made at all in recent history was getting Colborne and a 1st pick for Kaberle. Of course, in typical Leafs fashion, we shipped Colborne out to the Flames for nothing, and that first round pick was traded away for Kessel. The same Kessel that is now being questioned as part of our "core group" and has been one of the leading parts of a team that has ended the last 3 seasons in disastrous fashion.

We pretty much never sell high on our players, and we usually let players walk for nothing. Sundin, Grabovski, MacArthur, players that we probably could have gotten something good for if we shipped them out of town at the right time.

Management needs to ship this core out, or be stuck with mediocrity for the next 8 years or so. If they stay the course, it's the fans who are going to pay for it.

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on
The Leafs core group is flawed, but management has been the bigger problem.

The only good trade we really made at all in recent history was getting Colborne and a 1st pick for Kaberle. Of course, in typical Leafs fashion, we shipped Colborne out to the Flames for nothing, and that first round pick was traded away for Kessel. The same Kessel that is now being questioned as part of our "core group" and has been one of the leading parts of a team that has ended the last 3 seasons in disastrous fashion.

We pretty much never sell high on our players, and we usually let players walk for nothing. Sundin, Grabovski, MacArthur, players that we probably could have gotten something good for if we shipped them out of town at the right time.

Management needs to ship this core out, or be stuck with mediocrity for the next 8 years or so. If they stay the course, it's the fans who are going to pay for it.

We didn't let Sundin walk for nothing he refused a trade. Grabovski had a bad season after signing the contract, a lot of teams probably took a pass on him. And this is a league wide problem, a lot of teams lose good players for nothing, some even franchise players. Just part of the game; it's not exclusive to our team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad