Sportsnet: Roenick: Leafs leaders must be held accountable

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
What happened to the 'Bay Street Bullies'? We were there for a year. People feared the 'Blue Bombers' (however cheesy that was in regards to Orr and McLaren). We played a hard nosed hitting game and no one took liberties with our skilled players. I just want to know what changed from last year to this year. We retained a lot of our players that took this team to Game 7 against the Big Bad Bruins while adding pieces that were supposed to give us a boost in the playoffs in Clarkson and Bolland. We brought in a stud goalie who didn't have a chance in LA behind one of the best goalies in the world. With all of these things taken in to consideration, we should have been a MUCH BETTER team than last year.

I know it's not possible but every player should be asked 'What do you think went wrong' and if they answer 'I don't know' or 'We were getting out worked and they wanted it more than us', they should get removed from this team. To reiterate, I fully understand that it's not possible but we NEED a culture change.

we got rid of good players and replaced them with worth players. almost every move since last season except for bernier made us worse

replaced macarthur with clarkson
replaced grabo with bolland
replaced liles with gleason
replaced komarov with nobody (as a result we couldn't roll 4 lines anymore).

we don't need a culture change, we need to stop getting rid of good players and replacing them with worse players with so called "intangible" qualities

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
we got rid of good players and replaced them with worth players. almost every move since last season except for bernier made us worse

replaced macarthur with clarkson
replaced grabo with bolland
replaced liles with gleason
replaced komarov with nobody (as a result we couldn't roll 4 lines anymore).

we don't need a culture change, we need to stop getting rid of good players and replacing them with worse players with so called "intangible" qualities

so your saying fire nonis ......dont be shy ..lmao:yo:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think setting an example doesn't have to be about a leader showing the way, it can also be an infectious energy or rhythm from the team. Last year we sent out Komarov who would crash and bang, play with intensity and physicality. Next shift would be Lupul and Kadri, the latter especially is a player who seem to feed on that kind of energy, from being the next guy in after such a shift. Then we had our fourth line that used and abused the emotions created by what the previous lines had provoked. The only stand out was the Kessel line, but that's fine when it's one out of four.

Today our first shift starts with the Kessel line, a passive line waiting for a moment to strike with their skill. We follow up with guys like Raymond, who creates more of the same. On comes a much more passive Kadri and Lupul, who continue in the same track. And our fourth line comes on with nothing to work with. They can't agitate, because nobody cares about them. They can't abuse peoples emotions, because nobody is even upset.

That's the difference between last year and now IMO. The big drop off. There is absolutely a mentality and culture change needed, but it can come from deep too. Move Lupul and Raymond, build a second and third line that can bring intensity, physicality and impose their will on games, and we will automatically have a more effective fourth line and a first line that can actually break patterns, rather than just be more of the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad