News Article: Rodion Amirov passes away

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Gotta give props to the Senators organization for seeming willing to throw away a Pre-season game last year to give Amirov his NHL moment if he was capable of skating. That Russian interview indicates that there was an agreement in place to let Amirov play as much as he wanted to, but unfortunately he didn't have the strength to do it. Glad we did give him some time with the roster and his moment with the fans after that terrible diagnosis back in October.

Mar 12, 2009
I'm sure there are many others like me who had never heard of glioblastoma prior to Gord Downie's death from it. Since then, there have been three friends of the family or of another friend who have passed away from it. It's one of those "death sentence" type of cancers, sadly, and hopefully researching inroads are made in trying to help stagnate the disease for those afflicted from it.
Bolded on emphasis. Donating for research is the only way to go if that's a route one can go down; avoid "cancer awareness" charities as that money goes into essentially ad campaigns telling people about cancer instead of research efforts.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Bolded on emphasis. Donating for research is the only way to go if that's a route one can go down; avoid "cancer awareness" charities as that money goes into essentially ad campaigns telling people about cancer instead of research efforts.
imagine how far the research could go if instead of giving billions to countries, they gave it to research Cancer, ALS and other death sentence diseases

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
As someone who does a significant amount of work for the Canadian Cancer Society, I can assure everyone that donations to CCS really do get allocated to research.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
I recently learned my mother has breast cancer. We are trying to determine how serious it is.

It's hard enough as a son to hear about that. But for Rodion's poor parents who just lost a child...my heart truly breaks for them.
Wishing your family the best possible results. It is the worst. Hang in there, hopefully good news coming. Fingers crossed for you.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I recently learned my mother has breast cancer. We are trying to determine how serious it is.

It's hard enough as a son to hear about that. But for Rodion's poor parents who just lost a child...my heart truly breaks for them.
Prayers for your mom. My mom’s been thru it … twice. The first time I was too young to realize the seriousness of the situation and the second time when she broke the news I broke down and started sobbing uncontrollably like a baby. She’s a fighter and got thru surgery safe with a clean prognosis. Stay strong bro. Never let her forget how much you love her

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Could have but his family should have sued then if he could have been saved but wasnt..

It's Russia, things are different there. You dont sue someone every time you are inconvenienced.

Nah, there was a settlement. I just looked it up.
Avangard Omsk had to pay Cherepanov's parents the equivalent of 2 years of his salary.

Cherepanov's mom built an ice rink for local kids with part of her share, and still lives off the rest.

Reactions: Anthrax442

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Gotta give props to the Senators organization for seeming willing to throw away a Pre-season game last year to give Amirov his NHL moment if he was capable of skating. That Russian interview indicates that there was an agreement in place to let Amirov play as much as he wanted to, but unfortunately he didn't have the strength to do it. Glad we did give him some time with the roster and his moment with the fans after that terrible diagnosis back in October.

Well said.

As a global hockey community we tend to accentuate all the negatives, but the Amirov situation shows how good and principled our sport can be.

If there's a silver lining it's that Amirov was cared for deeply by fans. organizations, the NHL/KHL. Both Toronto and Salavat were nothing short of amazing.

Props to the Leafs, their fans and the GM Dubas. 100% class.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Oh wow, I never heard about this.

I wish we got to see it :(

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Sucks, I thought I saw an article someone posted a few months ago saying he was trending upwards. Really shocked by this one, I lost a family member to the same thing, its never fair. RIP kid.

They were very private about the battle. Apparently, he lost his vision and ability to walk months ago.

I used to look him up weekly just hoping to see some sort of positive update.

Reactions: Pink Mist

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
They were very private about the battle. Apparently, he lost his vision and ability to walk months ago.

I used to look him up weekly just hoping to see some sort of positive update.

Christ, I never saw this :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad