News Article: Rodion Amirov passes away

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Every time this thread bumps up and I read the latest my eyes well up and I think about how awful of a situation that poor young man was dealt.
I wanted to ask everyone here for a consensus on what would be the best to do.
I have a blank jersey I was going to crest with someone this season, but I feel like with what’s happened no other answer is correct other than with what Rodion dealt with there would be no other honour and move to make than to put him on the sweater, what number would you guys put on it? 20 was his draft year, 72 was his rookie camp number but
he never got to play with here. Ufa Salavat just retired 27, which he never would’ve worn here.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Every time this thread bumps up and I read the latest my eyes well up and I think about how awful of a situation that poor young man was dealt.
I have a blank jersey I was going to crest with someone this season, but I feel like with what’s happened no other answer is correct other than Rodion is deserving of it, what number would you guys put on it? 20 was his draft year, 72 was his rookie camp number but
he never got to play with here. Ufa Salavat just retired 27, which he never would’ve worn here.
Probably 27, He wore 27 when he played internationally.

That or 20 (for the draft year)

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Amirov's attitude and mindset while experiencing something so tragically horrible is truly inspiring and honestly refreshing. What a great kid and such a shame that the world didn't get to see him reach his potential, whether that be in hockey or anything else. RIP Rodion.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
As I noted earlier, it does show - and as difficult as it is, I think it's important - how relentlessly awful cancer is, but it shows how amazing a young man he was. And full credit to the Leafs for how they supported him. And yes, your record on the ice will determine your professional future, but this does show the kind of impact kindness and decency can have on the world. You WANT good people, not mercenaries in charge of your team or your office or, well, of anything. Shanahan and Dubas' decency and kindness made an unimaginable situation a bit more manageable. Being good matters, for all of us.

Last edited:

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
I have a blank jersey I was going to crest with someone this season, but I feel like with what’s happened no other answer is correct other than with what Rodion dealt with there would be no other honour and move to make than to put him on the sweater, what number would you guys put on it? 20 was his draft year, 72 was his rookie camp number but

father says Rodion dreamt of himself wearing his russian apparel when he mentions Matthews, Tavares & Samsonov so i would go with 🇷🇺 27🍁

Last edited:

The Best Leafs Everr

Jul 29, 2022
This is truly sad. My deepest condolences to his family. He was going to be a great player for us and now he is no more. Life is cruel for sure.

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Reading all the stuff about the type of person Rodion was you have to believe he would've made a real impact in the NHL. INCREDIBLE HUMAN BEING.
What player comes to your mind when you think of Rodion?
Patrick Bergeron?
Darryl Sittler?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Thinking of Rodion today. He should be playing today. Life is cruel.

Prayers for his family.

It just goes to show life is so short. Still chokes me up. I remember reading about it first happening and knowing he’d probably never suit up as a leaf and I was said. Brain Tumours just affect so much of the body. I really recommend everyone watch the Lennox Hill documentary on Netflix just to see what Rodion may have had to endure. You’ll have a deeper respect for his last years.

RIP Rodion

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I expect some are comparing it to Cheraponov who was unsigned at the time of his death

It’s definitely a bit of a strange distinction. If we hadn’t signed Rodion, by the rules, we would have gotten one. As if in some way the loss of the player is more significant if they never committed to your club.

In either case though, it is what it is. The whole situation is tremendously sad. I don’t think there’s anything offside about asking the question though despite the response from another poster in this thread about “offending people”

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It’s definitely a bit of a strange distinction. If we hadn’t signed Rodion, by the rules, we would have gotten one. As if in some way the loss of the player is more significant if they never committed to your club.

In either case though, it is what it is. The whole situation is tremendously sad. I don’t think there’s anything offside about asking the question though despite the response from another poster in this thread about “offending people”
Im a bit divided on it. The unsigned piece is already in the rules, so its just following that basically. The pick is for an unsigned player returning to the draft, not the loss of their life.

If it went the route of compensatory pick for a player passing, I worry it could leak further into career ending injuries, etc...

Reactions: VanW27

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Im a bit divided on it. The unsigned piece is already in the rules, so its just following that basically. The pick is for an unsigned player returning to the draft, not the loss of their life.

If it went the route of compensatory pick for a player passing, I worry it could leak further into career ending injuries, etc...

I do agree. That said, I believe the language was changed specifically after Cherepanov to say if a prospect dies before signing their ELC the team would get compensation.

I actually have more potential issue with the existing if you don’t sign your first rounder in 2 years you’ll get a compensation 2nd rounder rule. We rarely see it but there seems to be room to abuse the system here to get a mulligan on a pick. I’d hope there’s a process whereby teams have to prove they made an appropriate effort to sign the player.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad