Rockets' Goulbourne trying to prove he is the real deal

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
tyrell_goulbourne_kelowna_042514.jpg
Photo: Kelowna Rockets forward and Philadelphia Flyers prospect Tyrell Goulbourne has produced 394 penalty minutes in 227 WHL games to date (courtesy of Marissa Baecker/Getty Images)

It has been said that when the going gets tough, the tough get going. If the axiom is entirely valid, it would be well worth it for Tyrell Goulbourne of the Kelowna Rockets to pay heed this season.

When the Philadelphia Flyers made Goulbourne their third round selection, 72nd overall, at the 2013 NHL Draft, there was eye-rolling in some quarters as a few pundits felt the native of Edmonton, AB likely would have been available to the Flyers in the later rounds.… read more

The post Rockets’ Goulbourne trying to prove he is the real deal appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

SgtJoseph*

Nice article, thanks for posting ! I hope the lad continues to improve and one day makes it up to the big show ....Always liked a few of these type gritty players in a line up to shake things up when needed .

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
For those who've seen Goul play, can you offer a scouting report on him? What sorts of goals is he scoring, just dirty ones? He's an overager, but he's managing to be decently productive. How're his shot, hockey sense, skating, etc?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
For those who've seen Goul play, can you offer a scouting report on him? What sorts of goals is he scoring, just dirty ones? He's an overager, but he's managing to be decently productive. How're his shot, hockey sense, skating, etc?

He crashes the net a lot. He's one of the faster/better skaters in the WHL so him & his linemates use that to their advantages. He's got good hands in close, they use him in front of the net on the PP.

As mentioned above his skating/speed is really good. Hockey sense to me is really hard to gauge at the junior level but he plays a pretty simple game & isn't a loose cannon really despite being a gritty type of player. His shot is okay nothing special but his hands are pretty good. He's been a regular on the PK unit for years now so he's responsible defensively.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
He crashes the net a lot. He's one of the faster/better skaters in the WHL so him & his linemates use that to their advantages. He's got good hands in close, they use him in front of the net on the PP.

As mentioned above his skating/speed is really good. Hockey sense to me is really hard to gauge at the junior level but he plays a pretty simple game & isn't a loose cannon really despite being a gritty type of player. His shot is okay nothing special but his hands are pretty good. He's been a regular on the PK unit for years now so he's responsible defensively.

Seems like he could be a valuable player on special teams. Maybe time on a second power play line? Could he develop into a Wayne Simmonds lite, or is that out of the question? What NHL comparable could you offer as a best case scenario?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Seems like he could be a valuable player on special teams. Maybe time on a second power play line? Could he develop into a Wayne Simmonds lite, or is that out of the question? What NHL comparable could you offer as a best case scenario?

He could be a PKer at the next level but he won't be on the PP. He won't be much of a threat offensively at all really. He'll be an engery player who's defensively responsible.

Best case scenario I would say Brandon Prust.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

Highly doubt he ever sees a professional PP. The best case for kids like Goulbourne is a Brandon Prust type.

EDIT: Beat to the punch.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Goulbourne can be a solid 4th line winger, especially given his size, toughness and improved skating, he just has to score 10 or so goals a year and play solid defense to be valuable. He'd be a substantial upgrade over Akeson for example.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I would much rather have him there than Stortini.

It's really unfortunate that his elbow injury caused him to miss all of camp.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
If Goulbourne can be a solid 4th line winger, especially given his size, toughness and improved skating, he just has to score 10 or so goals a year and play solid defense to be valuable. He'd be a substantial upgrade over Akeson for example.

Still not worth the third round pick when other more dynamic players were available. Goulbourne isn't the type of guy you reach for.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
I'm rooting for the guy. Not his fault he got picked where he got picked. I won't use that against him. I hope he succeeds and makes all of you eat crow.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'm rooting for the guy. Not his fault he got picked where he got picked. I won't use that against him. I hope he succeeds and makes all of you eat crow.

Yeah I kind of feel bad for the kid. He will never win people over here because of where he was picked. I think he can be a solid role player.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012

You're right. Every Flyers fan should be rooting for him. He's one of ours. Doesn't matter where he was drafted now. What's done is done.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
You're right. Every Flyers fan should be rooting for him. He's one of ours. Doesn't matter where he was drafted now. What's done is done.

I don't think that anyone is actually rooting against him, there are just folks out there that are unhappy with the pick so whenever his name is mentioned it is just to talk about how much of a worthless pick the Flyers made as opposed to talking about the kid as a player.

SgtJoseph*

He could be a PKer at the next level but he won't be on the PP. He won't be much of a threat offensively at all really. He'll be an engery player who's defensively responsible.

Best case scenario I would say Brandon Prust.

If he turns into a Brandon Prust type player i think Homer and the boys made a great pick . I have always liked Prust and what he brings each night, always wished we had him .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad