Rocket Richard Race (2021-22)

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
That's one of the least egregious claims of who is better than Matthews to be fair. Certainly closer than Aho, Barzal, Laine, Pettersson and Eichel.
Or Boeser

:laugh:

Unsurprisingly, a certain soldier of the winter and an orca who always proclaims they are "neutral" with some amazing takes

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Why is this thread still so active? Even with about 10 games left for most teams, it is clear the race is done.

Reactions: TheStatican

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
It's over Matthews is 8goals ahead of the competition, still games to go but I think Matthews has his eyes on 65-70. A few multi goal games and a hat trick, worst case scenario he lands a few goals past 60.

Put a bow on it. The king with a Rocket repeat!!!!

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You can't use current Matthews to discredit claims made several seasons ago. There was a time when Eichel and Matthews were pretty head to head. Same with Pasta in terms of goal scoring. Matthews has taken the next step, the others haven't.
Matthews was always better at comparable ages, when the age gap actually matters. And, it wasn't always people saying Eichel or Pasta were better right now, it was people saying they'd be better long term. So, yeah, it can be used to an extent to discredit previous plays. Matthews has also always been a significantly better player at 5v5, and his numbers were depressed by Babs line usage and for most of his first two years running two equal PP's (with Marner on the other unit).

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
A few weeks ago some people thought Draisaitl was a comparable goal scorer but Matthews is like nah, try Gretzky, Lemieux, Richard and Seabass at their peaks. :laugh:

CN8

May 31, 2010
Canada
This is no shot at Matthews but if you asked me at the beginning of the year I’d have been more impressed if you told me ovechkin will get 50 over Matthews getting 60. Actually that’s a compliment to Matthews

Phil Kessels Hot Dog

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton in 5
I remember people on here seriously saying that pasta was a better goal scorer than Matthews when he beat Matthews by one goal to win the rocket when the season abruptly ended in 2020.

Comical.
Wait, someone actually claimed that the guy who won the Rocket was a better goal scorer then the guy who didn't win the Rocket?

The audacity.

Reactions: nturn06

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Gotta go with Draisaitl at this point.

Matthews looks extremely satisfied with #58. He's played like rancid shit since then. Drai will get to 60 and win the rocket.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Gotta go with Draisaitl at this point.

Matthews looks extremely satisfied with #58. He's played like rancid shit since then. Drai will get to 60 and win the rocket.
LOL.

You figure the number 60 isn't a thing to him?

Dra could win the Rocket, no question, but not because Matthews lost interest in scoring. OMG man.....Athletes don't work that way.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
LOL.

You figure the number 60 isn't a thing to him?

Dra could win the Rocket, no question, but not because Matthews lost interest in scoring. OMG man.....Athletes don't work that way.
Every goal now for him is another 250k to his next contract.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
It's close again. Matthews doesn't look like he'll score another goal this season.

Yeah it's close.

Drai could make it interesting with another multi-goal game. I think Matthews will probably end up with 61-62 goals this season so it's definitely possible for Drai to push him to the end.

That game in hand will become important for Matthews.

Reactions: saffronleaf

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Saw oilers 4-0 win and thought Dra was padding his stats.

Have they ever won before tonight with neither of McDra getting a point? Bizarro world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad