Rocket Richard Race (2021-22)

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
They are pretty clearly in the same tier as goal scorers.
I disagree. Drai has a completely different goal scoring method to his madness and a lot of it does rely on other players around him. AM scores a lot more goals making something from nothing. That matters to me as a pure goal scorer.

Drai uses his hockey sense (getting in the right position) and elite release/accuracy to score goals. AM can score a goal on his own. I think that warrants a separate tier (even if they are very close tiers)

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
He had 7 last week.

3 games ago he had a handful of great chances. 2 games ago he had a couple and last game he had a wide open net and the defender threw his stick back and got a lucky hit on it. I’ll give you the last two games though he’s not been great.

He will be fine just breathe.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Matthews has been ice cold the last 3 games. I hate to say it, but I am ruling out Draisaitl just yet. Matthews may not score again this season.

AM will probably get it, but it's always fun with a closer race if your not on either side.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Matthews has been ice cold the last 3 games. I hate to say it, but I am ruling out Draisaitl just yet. Matthews may not score again this season.

Lol you don't actually believe he won't get another goal in the last 7 games do you?

Reactions: GreeningOil

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Lol you don't actually believe he won't get another goal in the last 7 games do you?
Still, a 4 goal lead is not that huge. Either player is capable of pulling off a hat trick in any game.

I do think that Matthews more embodies a pure scorer while Draisaitl is more of a playmaker who has found a role as a trigger man on the PP. But the award isnt for who embodies the award more, which is subjective. It's not an award where writers can get to together and make up whatever logic they like to pick who they like. It's just the number

As an Oiler fan I say I am actually glad that Drai and McDavid are not so focused on getting the Rocket and Art Ross. They are clearly focused on the Ws only at this point.

The team was trying hard to get Drai over the 50 goal mark but honestly I didnt like that. I wanted that goal so badly just to get it over with. I dont want the team to start playing for McDrai's trophies now. They have lots of individual hardware already. The only success that should matter is in the playoffs

Reactions: zoA

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Still, a 4 goal lead is not that huge. Either player is capable of pulling off a hat trick in any game.

I do think that Matthews more embodies a pure scorer while Draisaitl is more of a playmaker who has found a role as a trigger man on the PP. But the award isnt for who embodies the award more, which is subjective. It's not an award where writers can get to together and make up whatever logic they like to pick who they like. It's just the number

As an Oiler fan I say I am actually glad that Drai and McDavid are not so focused on getting the Rocket and Art Ross. They are clearly focused on the Ws only at this point.

The team was trying hard to get Drai over the 50 goal mark but honestly I didnt like that. I wanted that goal so badly just to get it over with. I dont want the team to start playing for McDrai's trophies now. They have lots of individual hardware already. The only success that should matter is in the playoffs

I don't disagree, just pointing out that he will likely get another handful of goals or more.

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
Bump

Drai is at 55, has 3 games left to play, has a chance to tie Matthews (58) or beat him with 4 goals in 3 games. Dunno if he'll do it tho.

edit: Didn't realise Matthews played yesterday. I heard he was out for the regular season but I guess he's back. He could still hit 60, his to lose then.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
I could see Draisaitl tying it, although Matthews will probably pot a couple against Detroit.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
And Matthews runs away with the rocket again, despite playing less games than everyone else

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Draisaitl is just as good of a goal scorer as Matthews and he's going to possibly win a Rocket in an actual full season. Unlike the wonky season last year where Matthews won I will find it more interesting and impressive if he does. And his contract is a steal at 8.5 million a year.

Sorry man, not only did he not win but Matthews played 7 fewer games and won it by 5 in an actual full season. What's your argument against Matthews for next season?

Reactions: TIGERCOOL

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
They are pretty clearly in the same tier as goal scorers.
On raw totals Matthews has a 9% cushion on # 2.

On proficiency (actual time played with SH removed), Matthews has a 24.5% cushion on number 2.

To help you visualize, that's like one guy showing up less than 4 days per week for work and the other showing up 5 days per week and the other guy still makes more widgets. And that's the closest guy.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad