Rochester Amerks / Minors Thread 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I wonder if that unit gets a shot out of camp as the third line in Buffalo next year.

I'd still like Girgensons to get at least a half-season in Rochester. He started turning the corner there during the last couple of months, and it seemed he had finally caught up with the speed at that level. I'd like to see if he can continue to smooth out some of the rough edges in his game.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'd still like Girgensons to get at least a half-season in Rochester. He started turning the corner there during the last couple of months, and it seemed he had finally caught up with the speed at that level. I'd like to see if he can continue to smooth out some of the rough edges in his game.

I think his offensive game still would've been better served in the 'dub. That sad, you're probably correct in that he (and Larsson too) will start in Rochester.

I'd make a comment here about how they should add players for next season's roster and all that, but Regier has not changed his spots much if at all. At least they're out from under Lagace's waste of a deal for next year.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I think his offensive game still would've been better served in the 'dub. That sad, you're probably correct in that he (and Larsson too) will start in Rochester.

I'd make a comment here about how they should add players for next season's roster and all that, but Regier has not changed his spots much if at all. At least they're out from under Lagace's waste of a deal for next year.

It'll be the same old. Just good enough where he can't get called out too much, but never good enough to be in the elite. A borderline playoff team. Mark it down now.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

That sounds like the most beneficial route Buffalo should take. 60 or so games in the AHL and around 20 in the NHL I hope. I don't really like players jumping back and forth doing half and halfs.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It'll be the same old. Just good enough where he can't get called out too much, but never good enough to be in the elite. A borderline playoff team. Mark it down now.

The preponderousness of the evidence points to just that.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I agree with you guys. I think Girgensons should get more AHL time. They moved him back to center at the end of the season. He should play more games at center next year for Rochester.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
I'd love another whole year in Roch for Girgs. Maybe a game or two taste for a very short term injury on the big club late season, but right back down to Roch after that.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Same goes for Grigorenko.
Too bad he can't play for Rochester next season.
I think the best thing for his development would be to have the option to play in the AHL.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I wonder if that unit gets a shot out of camp as the third line in Buffalo next year.

If not out of camp I bet (and hope) you'll see them as a line in camp. I hope they keep Larsson and Girgensons together at least; they've established chemistry very quickly and they're a natural fit that we've almost all projected as being 2/3rds of our future 3rd line. It's also interesting in that any of the three could easily wind up back in Rochester to start the year, but it's easy to imagine each of them being ready for the NHL as well.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I'm all for Girgensons to get a look with the Sabres. He adjusted to the AHL, now he's ready to adjust to the NHL. The sooner you start, the sooner he'll adjust.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Possible roster composition for next season could include:

F:
Tropp (RFA)
Armia
Larsson
Girgensons
Varone
Schaller
Sundher
Catenacci
Adam (RFA)
McCormick

-----------
Coasters -
Boychuk
Szydlowski
Parker
Lagace (RFA I don't expect retained)

D:

Pysyk
McNabb
Ruhwedel
MacKenzie
Gauthier-Leduc
Schiestel (RFA)
Crawford (RFA)

G:

Hackett (RFA)
Makarov
Lieuwen
Knapp

UFA's from the current team are Ellis, Mancari, Tarnasky, Biega and Leggio.

Expiring minor league deals include: Schofield, Legault, Rissmiller, Bailen, Beattie, Fienhage

Clearly there is a need for vet scoring and a presence on the blueline. In my world, Nathan Gerbe goes to Rochester next fall to finish out his current contract, giving the Amerks some speed and AHL-level scoring off the wing. Also in my world, they sign a Zigomanis-type AHL 1st line center and some sort of veteran defenseman who can both defend and clear his own zone without stepping on himself.

Last edited:

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
How is Tropp doing anyway? Would you be against signing Connolly to a 2 year 2-way contract if he was interested?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
How is Tropp doing anyway? Would you be against signing Connolly to a 2 year 2-way contract if he was interested?

Tropp was taking time off because he needed to strengthen his leg. Given the long layoff before camp, it should be much improved. He is going to have to show he can still be a high-motor guy and get to the places he could prior to the injury.

As for Connolly, no thanks. Not the sort of "leadership" I'd want around impressionable young pros.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Wouldn't surprise me. Larsson and Girgs probably need more AHL time to at least round out their offensive games, but I wouldn't be shocked if they made a good case for themselves at camp. They're both guys who work really hard and compete at a high level. I have a feeling the start in Rochester and maybe start seeing some NHL action as call-ups next season though. As long as we're rebuilding, I'd rather see Buffalo err on the side of caution/patience and fill up some roster spots with scrubs while letting the kids develop. I think Larsson becomes a full-time NHLer by the end of next season, but not so sure about from the beginning.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Sad stat that Kevin O dug up. Only 1 team in the AHL has gone longer than the Amerks since winning a playoff series - Bridgeport. Shows you where the frustration comes from.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
That 2nd goal Leggio gave up last night was stinky. I hope Hackett wins the job in training camp next year if Miller's still here.

I kinda feel Pysyk misplayed it. He was over in his D partners lane (yes, because 2 opposing forwards were bunched up), then he followed one of the forwards into his lane and by that time his D partner (Bailen?) had too much gap between him and the shooter.

UncleBenny

Nov 17, 2011
Bailen is the exact kind of D that we don't need on this team. Don't even know why they brought him in.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
I kinda feel Pysyk misplayed it. He was over in his D partners lane (yes, because 2 opposing forwards were bunched up), then he followed one of the forwards into his lane and by that time his D partner (Bailen?) had too much gap between him and the shooter.
It's still an awful goal for a goalie to allow. That puck should never go in from that angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad