Rochester Americans and Jacksonville Icemen 2023-2024 PLAYOFF Thread; Game3 - 7:00 pm EDT, May 2nd

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Almost 25 minutes is longer than most of Donnie's pressers.

- Laaouan praise for his style and shot blocking.
- Praise for Warren (again) for his physical game and how he has developed his game. "Forechecking menace" and shot blocking praise, credit to him doing it.
- "We need everybody" - injury happens, people have to step in.
- Lots of chatter about Novikov, his offensive instincts at 5-on-5 and his defensive game.
- Praise for Wahlberg. Trusts him already. "He wants to be in hard areas."
- "You need straight line guys to win."

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I wonder if Ostlund is healthy enough to get some games?

Hey, nothing reported from the team and the only info was a wave and thanks social media post by the player. Good thing Buffalo is all on top of these things and not leaving everyone wondering what the next step is. Hell, they could’ve announced. They were bringing him to town to evaluate whatever’s going on for him physically and at least that’s information. Nope, can’t do that, too busy being better every day.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I have no idea. I was wondering if they messed up the timing of the recall on clear day and would have to waive them back to Rochester.
Is it because they're free agents and are now considered not part of team?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Is it because they're free agents and are now considered not part of team?

I honestly don't know what the hell this is about. I wonder if they messed up the timing on the clear day roster move but that they are UFA's doesn't seem relevant. They are under contract until the last day of June.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
On one hand, losing Jost and Clague for what sounds like transactional reasons sucks.

On the other, it means Ostlund could see the ice. and Savoie if his run is cut short.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
On one hand, losing Jost and Clague for what sounds like transactional reasons sucks.

On the other, it means Ostlund could see the ice. and Savoie if his run is cut short.

Given the hurts on the blueline, Clague, even as dubious as his defensive game has been, can provide them with something in depth.

Same with Jost since Biro and Jobst both suffer from being slight and often physically targeted.

Clarification would be welcome having followed this sport for over 50 years and not having heard of why this would happen shy of them messing up the recall on clear day.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I didn't want Hinostroza and Bjork on last year's playoff team and I didn't want Jost and Clague on this year's playoff team.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I didn't want Hinostroza and Bjork on last year's playoff team and I didn't want Jost and Clague on this year's playoff team.
They ran 7 d multiple games vs Hershey in the conf finals; you bet your ass I would've taken Vinnie or Bjork.

(Yes, I'm a google sheet psycho)

1713367681374.png

You're telling me you didn't want Bjork/Vinnie over Kohen Olischefski? Really?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Rousek with Biro and Weissbach - "time to show he is done" with the AHL.
Levi starts tonight.
Ceccone back.
Weissbach was ill, didn't miss practices Monday or Tuesday.

I'm consistently impressed that Appert NEVER gives something that could be bulletin board material for the other teams.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
For those who aren't familiar, a refresher:

The 22-23 Amerks made a run to the conference finals, where they lost in 6 to a big, physical, defensive team in Hershey (Capitals farm team). Sidenote: Hershey won the Calder Cup, and are currently the favorite to win it again after a president's trophy-equivalent season in 23-24.

The Amerks' run was due to a couple of things:

1. Malcolm Subban was an average AHL goalie, and went on a crazy heater, with a .916 SV% through 14 games.

2. Lawrence Pilut scored an OT winner in game 5 (its a best of 5 series) vs Syracuse in their 1st playoff series, which catapulted the whole run.

3. Kulich and Rosen shined at times (Kulich specifically, had a HUGE impact), combining for 11 goals in the playoffs, but...

4. The proudction was mostly carried by AHL vets, not Sabre prospects. Michael Mersch and Mason Jobst, 2 AHL-only deals, were the top scorers. Lukas Rousek, Brett Murray, Linus Weissbach, and Sean Malone, along with D Ethan Prow and Pilut, rounded out the rest of the top 10 scorers. Minus Rousek, none are prospects anymore. Just NHL/AHL (mostly AHL) tweeners.

Conclusion: This was a run about a hot goalie, a team that found a complete game style around game 3 of the Syracuse series that they didn't show the ENTIRE regular season, and a veteran core of AHLers leading the way, not the prospects.

In 23-24, the roster is largely the same, with a few key differences:

-Subban is gone, Levi is in. You'd hope that's a big upgrade

-Pilut is gone, Ryan Johnson and Nikita Novikov are here now. Experience downgrade, upside upgrade.

-The forward core is basically the same, with Malone gone, Biro healthy this time (he missed the entire 22-23 run), and rookies Wahlberg and Neuchev here, and making an impact. We'll also see if Ostlund or Savoie play at all. Savoie did play 2 games in the 22-23 run, but had no chemistry with anyone on a new team, and Rochester rightly put back in a vet.

I wish Jost/Clague could've come to bolster the depth, but the Amerks still have a punchers chance to repeat last year. It'll depend on goaltending, if the vets can be productive again, and if the rookies can have an impact again.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
You're telling me you didn't want Bjork/Vinnie over Kohen Olischefski? Really?
Bjork and Vinnie would have been about as useful as Jiri Sejba. They didn't want to be there!!

They weren't AHL vets who bought into the team like the Mersch's and Prow's of the world.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Bjork and Vinnie would have been about as useful as Jiri Sejba. They didn't want to be there!!

They weren't AHL vets who bought into the team like the Mersch's and Prow's of the world.
That's interesting, because...

1713373439657.png

Vinnie's in the AHL right now, with a nice stat line. He'd have been incredibly useful. You're just being silly.

I don't care if he didn't want to be there in season, playoff runs are always different, especially when you're winning.

Reactions: Zman5778

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That's interesting, because...

View attachment 853790

Vinnie's in the AHL right now, with a nice stat line. He'd have been incredibly useful. You're just being silly.

I don't care if he didn't want to be there in season, playoff runs are always different, especially when you're winning.

Bjork's spent the whole season this year with Rockford on an AHL deal. I think they knew that was where their playing career was headed. Same with Jost and Clague this year - go out and show you don't belong there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad