Rochester Americans and Jacksonville Icemen 2023-2024 PLAYOFF Thread; Game 2 - 3:00 pm EDT, Rochester Hosting Syracuse

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Apps next win will move him ahead of Chris Taylor and Mike Keenan for fifth most in Amerks history. They're all tied at 116.

Yes, I can't sleep.
He's done a respectable job and wouldn't have been a bad option for a interim mid-season promotion to Buffalo.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
If Granato is fired I would imagine that Appert would see himself as a strong candidate for the position. If he's passed over will he be okay with that, or will that be the beginning of the end of his time here?

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
If Granato is fired I would imagine that Appert would see himself as a strong candidate for the position. If he's passed over will he be okay with that, or will that be the beginning of the end of his time here?
I hear some folk saying he's not ready for NHL HC responsibilities, but outside of winning a championship in the AHL, he doesn't have much more to prove. The question is would he rather get considered for a HC job in the NHL, or does he need NHL seasoning as an assistant.

Reactions: Jacob582

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I hear some folk saying he's not ready for NHL HC responsibilities, but outside of winning a championship in the AHL, he doesn't have much more to prove. The question is would he rather get considered for a HC job in the NHL, or does he need NHL seasoning as an assistant.

Apropos of nothing, he certainly comes off as likeable in interviews

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Unfortunately, Appert is coaching Granato’s style to a T which means theres a definitive lack of physicality in the Amerks game. Its especially concerning for our prospects who are going to have this huge hole in their game going forward. Our next coaching regime will have to try to undo this mistake and we will be sitting here watching them struggle once again as our prospects weren’t properly developed and prepared to play a winning style of hockey.

I would be curious to see how well Appert would do with a directive to play a more rounded style of hockey. I’d imagine he would do well since to his credit and our detriment, he’s done an excellent job mirroring Granato’s coaching.

Reactions: SonofHerb

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Unfortunately, Appert is coaching Granato’s style to a T which means theres a definitive lack of physicality in the Amerks game. Its especially concerning for our prospects who are going to have this huge hole in their game going forward. Our next coaching regime will have to try to undo this mistake and we will be sitting here watching them struggle once again as our prospects weren’t properly developed and prepared to play a winning style of hockey.

I would be curious to see how well Appert would do with a directive to play a more rounded style of hockey. I’d imagine he would do well since to his credit and our detriment, he’s done an excellent job mirroring Granato’s coaching.
A coach can bring that out of a player if the raw material is there. I would ask whether the scouting staff had been focused on adding those types of 'glue' or 'sandpaper' guys in the later rounds, and are they developing? I see very few of those guys, and one JUST made it to the AHL. Lots of talk about trading our picks and prospects for help on the NHL roster. I would argue they should also consider prospect for prospect trades where they get some character that is further along in their development that came out of those same draft years of the players I mention below. Shift away from one prototype and slot in depth.

Do you really think Rosen, Kulich, Kisakov, Neuchev, Novikov, or RyJo have that in them? Give Appert (and I guess Donnie), something to work with.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Good question. I tend to lean toward wanting him to have some NHL experience. I do not know if what he's doing would work at the NHL level. He admits they don't have the size to be a physically imposing team but that they try for team toughness. Compared to Buffalo, they're considerably more apt to finish a check or pin people out. The defensive zone can still be chaos though. The Amerks go through a cycle where they start the season with a lot of "what the hell are they doing" and progress to a "oh, yeah, that's better" with the odd moments of "what the hell are they doing" sprinkled back in. It isn't a smooth arc, but it's there.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
The Amerks go through a cycle where they start the season with a lot of "what the hell are they doing" and progress to a "oh, yeah, that's better" with the odd moments of "what the hell are they doing" sprinkled back in. It isn't a smooth arc, but it's there.
Sounds familiar.

• Haha
Reactions: Chainshot

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Forgive my ignorance but do AHL clubs have to set a playoff lineup or are they allowed to use anyone who has signed a ELC or PTO who is available?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I won't complain about many broadcasts ever again after suffering through the Monsters' first period schtick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad