Robin Lehner

• Thread starter Security Guard Chang*
  • Start date

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
I wouldnt consider that beating the crap out of him.

Of course you wouldn't. You'd sooner try to argue Helenius kicked Lehner's ass. :laugh: The original description was about as accurate as anyone could provide.

And Helenius going down there changed the entire game and gave the momentum to Syracuse to come back and win with 6 unanswered goals.

If that's what you have to tell yourself to make you feel better about the result of the fight, rather than the obvious reason of Nathan Lawson, whatever helps you sleep at night.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Should he have refused to fight Helenius?

Him fighting Helenius isn't what got him kicked out of the game. It was the punches to Palat after the scrum in the crease. Helenius wasn't kicked out of the game either, it was just a goalie swap. Lehner shouldn't have gotten up throwing punches and lost his cool.

Of course you wouldn't. You'd sooner try to argue Helenius kicked Lehner's ass. :laugh: The original description was about as accurate as anyone could provide.

If that's what you have to tell yourself to make you feel better about the result of the fight, rather than the obvious reason of Nathan Lawson, whatever helps you sleep at night.

Ok we'll anyone with eyes and a brain and count can see exactly what I said. Lehner threw a decent amount, connected on 2, maybe 3, decently, Helenius got in one shot at the beginning and fell over first. Wasn't much damage either way. No one was knocked out, it was hardly a beating if anyone. But if it makes you feel better to have your star goalie take himself out of the game because he's an idiot but he won the fight then more power to you.

And I'm sorry did I miss the part where a back up goalie isn't part of a team? Not my problem your teams backup sucks.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Oddly enough, nobody has posted the video yet haha

gotta love the announcers

AND THERE THROWING BOMBS!!!!!!!!!!!! as both goalies are discarding the equipment.

Never thought Lehner had this in him TBH, all tho beating up Helenius is no big deal. Wondwer what his coaches thought about it. Senators blew a 5-0 lead after he was tossed.
Oh and Jamie Kaharski having no clue how to officiate a game. color me shocked. the guy has always been a terrible ref.

TheOriginalSilf*

This was all hindsight. If Lehner left that game and Lawson had stopped ANYTHING, the B-Sens would win the game and the only thing that would be brought up was how awesome it was to see Lehner fight again when being pushed around. But since Lawson came in and provided a performance worse than any goalie performance in recent memory, it's Lehner's fault.

All hindsight. His team is up 5-0. It's the 4th game of the season and guys are jumping on top of him. Helenius then came after Lehner (crossing the blue line while Lehner was the only goalie who received a penalty for leaving his crease) and Lehner didn't step down.

What else was Lehner supposed to think? "Man, I should just lie here instead. A 5 goal lead isn't enough. They're sure to come back if I'm out of here".

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Lol. who cares who won the game.

You don't win the championship in October.

Better to find out your backup sucks now than when the games matter.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
gotta love the announcers

AND THERE THROWING BOMBS!!!!!!!!!!!! as both goalies are discarding the equipment.

Never thought Lehner had this in him TBH, all tho beating up Helenius is no big deal. Wondwer what his coaches thought about it. Senators blew a 5-0 lead after he was tossed.
Oh and Jamie Kaharski having no clue how to officiate a game. color me shocked. the guy has always been a terrible ref.

Really?

Blowing the lead isn't something that should fall on Lehner. His back up played like they picked him up off the street. His coach wasn't overly critical of it but they sure do want him in the net.

member 147413

Holy ****, he just exploded, needs to take it easy, he was really trying to injure someone.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
His dad is a great Goalie coach.

Frolunda's a factory.

Lundqvist took awhile to come over, we all know the rest.

What is Robins timeframe ?

He is ready for backup duty right now, but will stay in the AHL this year with Bishop taking that spot. I think when Murray signed Anderson to a 4 year deal, it was planned to be 2 years in the A as starter (last and this year), 2 years as Andersons backup (next year and year after) then our number 1 at 24. Of course he could be good enough to force mgmt's hand in making a deal and creating room for him earlier.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
His dad is a great Goalie coach.

Frolunda's a factory.

Lundqvist took awhile to come over, we all know the rest.

What is Robins timeframe ?

He was our best goalie in our last two NHL training camps and he won the AHL at an age that only Roy and Price have.

Physically, he's basically ready and he's shown well in real NHL games he's played in. But they want him to show some maturity, embrace the AHL regular season, and grow up a little.

He's a work in progress but in due time I expect he'll be nothing less than a legitimate starter.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
I wouldnt consider that beating the crap out of him. Got like 2 and a half shots in and Helenius got one in and then fell over.

That's about as decisive a goalie fight as you can get. Helenius landed two small ones early, Lehner threw a few jabs, then an awesome uppercut, and then several haymakers that connected squarely with Helenius's head. Helenius didn't land anything after the uppercut.

And Helenius going down there changed the entire game and gave the momentum to Syracuse to come back and win with 6 unanswered goals.

No, the Helenius/Lehner fight didn't give Syracuse momentum. What gave Syracuse momentum was Lawson letting in a weak first goal, and never recovering.

Him fighting Helenius isn't what got him kicked out of the game. It was the punches to Palat after the scrum in the crease. Helenius wasn't kicked out of the game either, it was just a goalie swap. Lehner shouldn't have gotten up throwing punches and lost his cool.

Plenty of goalies take shots at guys after they've been run.

Most of the time, those goalies don't get their bucket knocked off from a shot to the back of the head by a third player (Palat).

At any rate, yeah, he lost his cool, but it's one game, it's early in the season in the middle of an apparent blowout win, and he could have done much worse over something far less significant. He's not a complete nut-job, he's just an ultra-competitive player.

Ok we'll anyone with eyes and a brain and count can see exactly what I said. Lehner threw a decent amount, connected on 2, maybe 3, decently, Helenius got in one shot at the beginning and fell over first. Wasn't much damage either way. No one was knocked out, it was hardly a beating if anyone. But if it makes you feel better to have your star goalie take himself out of the game because he's an idiot but he won the fight then more power to you.

It was clearly one-sided. Lehner landed bigger bombs while matching Helenius's jabs. There doesn't need to be a KO for it to have been a beating.

And I'm sorry did I miss the part where a back up goalie isn't part of a team? Not my problem your teams backup sucks.

Lawson is actually a very good AHL goalie. He came into a game cold and let in a softie early. Never recovered his composure after that. One bad game isn't indicative of his ability, basically.

Last edited:

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
He was our best goalie in our last two NHL training camps and he won the AHL at an age that only Roy and Price have.

Physically, he's basically ready and he's shown well in real NHL games he's played in. But they want him to show some maturity, embrace the AHL regular season, and grow up a little.

He's a work in progress but in due time I expect he'll be nothing less than a legitimate starter.

I think he'll end up forcing Ottawa's hand.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I think he'll end up forcing Ottawa's hand.

Not out of question.

Must be kept in mind but once we get closer to working into a transition as Andy's contract expires, I think they'll let Lehner take the job if he's ready for it. If there's head butting going on between Lehner and Bishop, you'll probably see the Sens try and move Bishop for more than the 2nd rounder they got him for.

Of course, lots comes into play, but the point I'm trying to make is the Sens want and envision Lehner being the guy. If he's earning his time, I think they'll err on the side of catering to him.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Not out of question.

Must be kept in mind but once we get closer to working into a transition as Andy's contract expires, I think they'll let Lehner take the job if he's ready for it. If there's head butting going on between Lehner and Bishop, you'll probably see the Sens try and move Bishop for more than the 2nd rounder they got him for.

Of course, lots comes into play, but the point I'm trying to make is the Sens want and envision Lehner being the guy. If he's earning his time, I think they'll err on the side of catering to him.
He should be their guy for the next 10 or so years. Probably longer.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He is destroying the AHL so far this year, winning games for the Bsens single handedly. Ottawa will be in a pickle, in a good way, with Anderson, Bishop and Lehner. I don't see how you can keep him down in the AHL past this season the way he is playing.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
He is destroying the AHL so far this year, winning games for the Bsens single handedly. Ottawa will be in a pickle, in a good way, with Anderson, Bishop and Lehner. I don't see how you can keep him down in the AHL past this season the way he is playing.

You can't, he's ready for the nhl

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I have never seen a goalie prospect so calm and collective when facing shots point-blank or in-close one-timers since Carey Price. He has the potential to be a star in the league. Sky's the limit for young Robin.

Last edited:

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
He's a complete nutcase.

...but nutcase goalies tend to be the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad