Robin Lehner

• Thread starter Security Guard Chang*
  • Start date

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I'm a leaf fan and I think Lehner will be a legit #1 goalie. *sigh*

Sadly this is my view on it as well :(. If he can control his head he'll be fine. I still remember him from that pre-season game and man i was annoyed to see him :laugh: That vermette trade turned out good if he becomes a solid player for the sens.

Hybbe

Oct 6, 2009
Lehner is such a loose cannon, but I think his potential is understated around here.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
He's definitely one of the best goalie prospects out there. But between Price, Schneider, Rask, Quick, Markstrom, Bernier, Holtby, Poulion, Hackett, Subban, Vasilevski, Campbell, Lindback, etc etc. there are a ton of young current NHL goalie stars and really solid goalie prospects out there, so trying to predict how Lehner will compare 5 years from now is pretty difficult.

Goalies are particularly difficult to predict, obviously because they take over half a decade to develop in most cases.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
If you compare this to two years ago when he needlessly shoved the Isles goalie (Poulin?) as he was heading off to the intermission, he's made some serious progress. Regardless of what your opinion on this is.

And by all accounts, Lehner's shown maturity in the way he carries himself, they told him to drop weight, he dropped 25-30 pounds. And he's been a brick wall so far this season.

Love the parrallel's that could be drawn to hot head goalies of the past, Roy, Hextall. Lehner's got an "it" factor that led him to a Calder Cup MVP at 19. I think his personality bodes well for him as long its harnessed. I think it will be.

Pitlick*

Time for a Lehner jersey.

Oh yeah, 2 lockouts in 8 years, I almost forgot: I don't buy NHL merchandise or go to games anymore.

I'll be watching TV with my hand-painted Lehner t-shirt on.

Being a loose cannon worked for Emery, Belfour and Hextall. Discipline was shown by dropping 35 pounds this offseason.

I've been reading for years how Markstrom is the better prospect. I'd wager that Lehner has the better NHL career. Like others said, he has that "it" factor, where he hates losing, and has the iron will to be at his best at the most clutch times, as shown in the Calder Cup run. He's a nutjob in the Ed Belfour mold.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Being a loose cannon worked for Emery, Belfour and Hextall.

I would not say it "worked" for Emery, as the expectations for Lehner are rightfully a lot higher.

That said, I'd agree that if he's able to channel his emotions positively, they can serve as somewhat constant motivation, and that can do a lot of good. He'll definitely remain exciting to follow.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
What a beast , kids gonna be a star.

Just beat the crap out of Riku Heleniuis.

I wouldnt consider that beating the crap out of him. Got like 2 and a half shots in and Helenius got one in and then fell over.

And Helenius going down there changed the entire game and gave the momentum to Syracuse to come back and win with 6 unanswered goals.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
I wouldnt consider that beating the crap out of him. Got like 2 and a half shots in and Helenius got one in and then fell over.

And Helenius going down there changed the entire game and gave the momentum to Syracuse to come back and win with 6 unanswered goals.

You forgot the part where Lawson proved to no better then Gerber in nets, allowing the weakest goals in. With Lehner in, this game ends 6-1 I believe.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

Which goes against conventional wisdom. No foresight could have foreseen the game taking a twist like that.

bassassin

Apr 1, 2008
England
Which goes against conventional wisdom. No foresight could have foreseen the game taking a twist like that.

That team did have the longest winning streak in pro hockey ever....if any team was going to come back from that scoreline it was them.

So you say no one could have forseen that, no one predicted the winning streak, no one predicted cruising to the Calder cup, they managed it. A year older, more experienced they are going to be capable of some pretty incredible hockey.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
That team did have the longest winning streak in pro hockey ever....if any team was going to come back from that scoreline it was them.

So you say no one could have forseen that, no one predicted the winning streak, no one predicted cruising to the Calder cup, they managed it. A year older, more experienced they are going to be capable of some pretty incredible hockey

What are you talking about??? A serious question.

It's not reasonable, in the moment, to think getting into a goalie fight at home up 5-0is gonna spark a team for 6 goals unanswered. No, I don't think Lehner was supposed to foresee Nathan Lawson playing like a 12 year old. They'd have won 5-4 had Lawson at least played like he was 15.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad