Confirmed with Link: Robin Lehner re-signed $2.225M/3 yrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think so cause Lehner is only 23 and has an incredible future in the NHL.

We are not winning the Stanly Cup this year, I know Murray wants us to be competitive but its not realistic even with David here as our new 3rd line Center.

The Senators need to start the youth movement now and enough of this competitive line from Murray. WE WILL NOT WIN THE CUP Signing aging declining players and us fans know it.

Murray should of let MM9 walk and just stood pat after the Spezza trade but he had to resign Michalek as a panic move cause he knew know one was going to sign here cause of our budget.

That's why and the other fan was right. We also have the prospects if Lehner doesn't pan out

Michalek as a "panic move" for Spezza trade?
The Senators need to start the youth movement?
You and the other fan were right? About what?

Last edited by a moderator:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I like people conveniently forgetting that Ottawa needed to pay Michalek to get to the cap floor.

Only Ottawa Senators fans would complain about the team with the lowest payroll in the NHL spending money to retain a 20 goal left winger at a reasonable hit when there were no better options to fill his spot on LW.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
It not so much a youth movement that we need but rather a few elite young players.

Our prospect pool has depth, but we are certainly lacking in high end talent.

Mostly because our rebuild was half-assed.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Gonna win the job over by next year. Contend in his final year, get big deserved contract and goes on to establish himself as superstar goalie.

You win championships starting with the net out:

Lehner

Karlsson

is brilliant way to start.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
It not so much a youth movement that we need but rather a few elite young players.

We have Karlsson. We traded for Ryan, who was a second overall pick behind Crosby. We have Turris who I believe was a 3rd overall pick. I think the issue is depth of talent rather than number of elite guys, although I would not argue against getting more elite talent.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
We have Karlsson. We traded for Ryan, who was a second overall pick behind Crosby. We have Turris who I believe was a 3rd overall pick. I think the issue is depth of talent rather than number of elite guys, although I would not argue against getting more elite talent.

Hopefully zibanejad(6th overall) and cowen (9th overall) can develop closer to where they were predicted. Zibby I'm confident will.

Hopefully another trade and one of the later picks can develop(stone,Hoffman) and then we might have a good core going forward.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

Who else could have been traded during the rebuild that would have lead to Ottawa getting more elite talent?

Could have traded Spezza in 2010, who is an elite player......in hopes of being bad enough to draft another elite player.........

They didn't have that many pieces to part with in the first place that they didn't ultimately part with.

Top end talent wasn't Ottawa's issue. Last year they had Karlsson, Spezza (2nd overall), Ryan (2nd overall), and Turris (3rd overall).

That's not counting guys drafted in the top 10 like Zibanejad and Cowen.

I'm not sure what else they could have done for the rebuild, at this point you're complaining because the Senators have mostly played above their expectations, and have given you a 7 game series against the top seed in their conference, and a very satisfying first round defeat of one of their biggest rivals. They got their fair share of luck mixed with good trades (obtaining Anderson who carried them to the playoffs, the lockout giving them a half season where they only had to play against the East, Turris' situation in Phoenix).

They made the playoffs twice out of the last four years, and last year only missed by a few points. In a league where only half the teams make the playoffs, that's a satisfying record.

It's mind blowing that people complain about what basically amounts to the team playing well and not sucking.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
"Andy is aging in his career" or "Andy is declining"...he sure as **** isn't playing like it.

But he is on the downswing, he will be 34 at the end of his last year on this contract, goalies do last a bit longer tho.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Gonna win the job over by next year. Contend in his final year, get big deserved contract and goes on to establish himself as superstar goalie.

You win championships starting with the net out:

Lehner

Karlsson

is brilliant way to start.

Lehner
Karlsson Ceci**

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Top end talent wasn't Ottawa's issue. Last year they had Karlsson, Spezza (2nd overall), Ryan (2nd overall), and Turris (3rd overall).

Don't forget Phillips (1st Overall).

High-end talent. Not high pick. Karlsson is that (15th overall). The rest? I really can't see them rounding out that way.

Ryan is not going to get much better if at all. Turris is trending upwards yes, but I don't think he has much higher to go in terms of ceiling. If those guys really were of an elite pedigree based on their high draft position, then we wouldn't have been able to trade for them in the first place. At least not without giving up a whole lot more.

Fact of the matter is, if the Cup is the ultimate goal of this franchise we simply do not have the horses to win it.

Either way, the rebuild is done now. This is the team we have.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Great deal, and to those saying Lehner needs to earn the #1 job, so does Andy at this point, last year he was absolutely awful, really bad goaltending by him. I remember games against MTL and plenty others where he couldn't stop a beach ball.

As for Lehner, he was streaky, but once he was hot and got star of the week Maclean sat him down for Andy, which at that point wasn't deserved

I'm fine with giving Andy a chance to get his job, but if he doesn't step up, Robin needs to have a fair shot

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Lehner
Karlsson Ceci**

I think both Lehner and Karlsson can be top 5 players in their positions. That's why I mentioned em. Kind of like Chara/Rask Doughty/Quick McDonagh/Lundqvist.

Those are the two most important pieces that win you multiple cups or keep you contending every playoff year.

Ceci and even Cowen could be excellent pieces to add onto. And Methot.

Hopefully Ryan can become top 5 winger/RW in the game too. And Zibanejad/Turris/Lazar can break out into our Bergeron/Kopitar/Krejci/Whoever

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
Great deal, and to those saying Lehner needs to earn the #1 job, so does Andy at this point, last year he was absolutely awful, really bad goaltending by him. I remember games against MTL and plenty others where he couldn't stop a beach ball.

As for Lehner, he was streaky, but once he was hot and got star of the week Maclean sat him down for Andy, which at that point wasn't deserved

I'm fine with giving Andy a chance to get his job, but if he doesn't step up, Robin needs to have a fair shot

I think some of you really are quite selective in your analysis. Lehner's lows this past season were lower than Anderson's. Noticeably so. And streaky? Did anyone watch Lehner in Jan/Feb?

You want to talk about games against Montreal where a goalie couldn't stop a beach ball?

I love Lehner. Great upside and he's a fantastic guy to have playing back-up right now. But to even suggest that Anderson doesn't deserve the #1 and Lehner does is nothing but intentional or unintentional ignorance.

"... giving Andy a chance to get his job". Please.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I think some of you really are quite selective in your analysis. Lehner's lows this past season were lower than Anderson's. Noticeably so. And streaky? Did anyone watch Lehner in Jan/Feb?

You want to talk about games against Montreal where a goalie couldn't stop a beach ball?

I love Lehner. Great upside and he's a fantastic guy to have playing back-up right now. But to even suggest that Anderson doesn't deserve the #1 and Lehner does is nothing but intentional or unintentional ignorance.

Couldn't agree more. But Lehner is young, Anderson is a veteran. The youth bias around here is terribly strong.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Anderson's lows were much lower than Lehner's. I made a very detailed post about it in the Lehner vs Anderson thread or whatever it was called.

Anderson's performances against important games(especially rivals) were terrible.

He's a great goalie but his mental make-up frustrates me a lot. So does his positioning at times.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Anderson's lows were much lower than Lehner's. I made a very detailed post about it in the Lehner vs Anderson thread or whatever it was called.

Anderson's performances against important games(especially rivals) were terrible.

He's a great goalie but his mental make-up frustrates me a lot. So does his positioning at times.

No they were not. Bonk put up a really good post about the highs and lows of both, and they seemed fairly level. The difference in my eyes is that Lehner's lows happened when we were in the hunt for a playoff spot while Andy's lows happened at the start of the year. Andy's highs happened when we were getting back in the race, while Lehner's high points came early in the year and at the very end when we were effectively done. There is simply no comparison in my mind.

I guess this is where this becomes a Lehner vs Andy thread?

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
Additionally, I think Anderson's "lows" occurred during a time when our defense was at it's very weakest (ie. the beginning of the season).

Our defence was far from good during Lehner's cold streak(s) but they were a bit more levelled.

I think we are lucky to be in this situation. Very lucky. We have literally zero need to throw our young, blue-chip goalie into the fray before we know he is absolutely ready to take the #1 job. We are fortunate enough to have a competent and reliable #1 goalie right now while giving Lehner a chance to play around 30 games a season and continue to develop his abilities.

It is beyond me why we wouldn't take advantage of this opportunity.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada

Funny you select a game where we completely got screwed to show that Lehner can't stop a puck, pretty hard to stop a puck when smurfs are in your crease right on you with no call or when you have the puck froze for 5 good seconds and they jam at you.

Andy has to earn his job that's all I'm saying, he was **** last year, wheter you like it or not. I agree with your post saying we are lucky, sure, but it needs to be a fair chance for both goalies. And Anderson wasn't only bad at the beginning, he let in soft goals all year and it cost us many games.

Some people here like their veterans (Neil, Phillips, Andy too much)

That being said, I am a fan of Anderson since his old days in Florida when I watched him play, I have a goalie stick of his that he gave me, and I think/hope he bounces back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad