Confirmed with Link: Robin Lehner re-signed $2.225M/3 yrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Will he be a UFA?

Has to be either 27 or accumulate 7 seasons of service. He'll be 26 when the contract expires (barely) but I'm not too sure about the seven-season rule. At the end of his contract he'll have played games in seven different seasons, starting with his eight-game stint in 2010-11. I THINK that means UFA, but don't quote me on that.

EDIT: scratch the age, Fuhr's right. He'll be 25, not 26.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Has to be either 27 or accumulate 7 seasons of service. He'll be 26 when the contract expires (barely) but I'm not too sure about the seven-season rule. At the end of his contract he'll have played games in seven different seasons, starting with his eight-game stint in 2010-11. I THINK that means UFA, but don't quote me on that.

EDIT: scratch the age, Fuhr's right. He'll be 25, not 26.

His ELC also slid after that first year so I doubt it counts as a season of service.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Nice.

70b2441679f899724d62c5030f9a17e6.jpg

yoplait

May 4, 2011
Very happy with this contract. He will be this team's starting goalie by the end of the year in my opinion.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I really believe in Lehner, i would have preferred longer term.

Robin's not a dummy. He has confidence in himself and that in 3 years he is likely to be our starter, and can get paid much more than this. It would have been a tough sell to get him to sign longer than 3 at that salary.

Last edited:

Healfezza

Sep 9, 2008
Red Deer
Awesome contact! 3 year term is a HUGE concession in my opinion, I was expecting a 2 year bridge. Cap hit is solid.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Great contract. That's one more item off the summer to-do list.

Kid's going to be a rock for us in nets in a few years. :vhappy:

The Fuhr*

Rask after his entry level deal made: 1.0, 1.5 and then 3.5

Hopefully develops into a star like him too

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Well if he will still be a RFA than I am very happy

He should still be an RFA.

To be UFA, he would need to accure 7 years of NHL experience, with "a year of experience" needing 10 games to qualify in his 18 & 19 year old seasons.

From the CBA:
For the purposes of this Section 10.2(a), a Player aged 18 or 19 earns a
year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more NHL Games
in a given NHL Season, and a Player aged 20 or older (or who turns 20
between September 16 and December 31 of the year in which he signs his
first SPC) earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or
more Professional Games under an SPC in a given League Year.

Lehner didn't start accruing "NHL years" until the 2012/13 season, which means by the time he's done this new 3-year contract, he will be under both the UFA age limit (27) and "pro years accrued" (5 years). I think my math checks out on this one?

koreaboy

Oct 14, 2010
I think is is a very sane, sensible, reasonable contract. We have arguably one of the very best tandems in the league now under contract for less than $6mil total. If we decide to resign Andy after this year, likely to something in the 3.5-5mil range, we still have goaltending for a reasonable price. If Andy absolutely rips it up this year and we commit to him long term, this is an easily tradable contract. And, what we hope for the most, if this time next year we have to run with Lehner as our no.1 after he rips it up this year or we've moved Andy, we have what could be a top level no.1 goalie under contract for less than $3mil. And he's still not a UFA at the end of the deal.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I think is is a very sane, sensible, reasonable contract. We have arguably one of the very best tandems in the league now under contract for less than $6mil total. If we decide to resign Andy after this year, likely to something in the 3.5-5mil range, we still have goaltending for a reasonable price. If Andy absolutely rips it up this year and we commit to him long term, this is an easily tradable contract. And, what we hope for the most, if this time next year we have to run with Lehner as our no.1 after he rips it up this year or we've moved Andy, we have what could be a top level no.1 goalie under contract for less than $3mil. And he's still not a UFA at the end of the deal.

Remember when we had Elliott and Auld? :laugh:

Very happy with this contract and the goalie position going forward.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
He should still be an RFA.

To be UFA, he would need to accure 7 years of NHL experience, with "a year of experience" needing 10 games to qualify in his 18 & 19 year old seasons.

From the CBA:

Lehner didn't start accruing "NHL years" until the 2012/13 season, which means by the time he's done this new 3-year contract, he will be under both the UFA age limit (27) and "pro years accrued" (5 years). I think my math checks out on this one?

Looks solid to me. Awesome. Then there's not much not to like about this deal.

Should be a great value contract for our new Binghamton backup, eh Main? :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad