News Article: Robin Lehner named first start of the week

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
After this game Anderson has given up the first two goals in the game to the opposition in seven games out of the eleven games he has started.

In the four games he did not give up the first two goals, in two of them (Toronto, Chicago) he gave up the first goal to the opposition. The two games in which he did not let the opposing team get on the board first, was the first game of the year against Buffalo (the worst team in the league by far) and against Detroit (in a 6-1 stomping where they didn't show up to play).

These statistics suggest there is a 64% chance that Anderson will let the other team go 2-0 against us before we score, and an 82% chance that he lets the other team score the first goal, before we can put the puck in the net.

Therefore, it makes logical sense that Anderson start the next game over Robin Lehner, who was the 1st star in the NHL this past week, a week in which we had a 3-0 record #MacLogic

Hello small sample sizes.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
And for that he rides the pine. MacLean is inconsistent. On the one hand he says best players play. When the reporters talk of 1st line 2nd line 3rd line he says it's you guys that are numbering the lines not me.

When he talks about his goaltenders it's Anderson is #1 and when he says he's ready to play he plays. No hesitation even if the backup Lehner is playing great and probably the biggest reason for winning his games. Most likely Lehner can't carry the team yet over the long haul but that's why we have 2 goaltenders and that's understandable.

No one disputes the fact that Anderson is paid as the #1 but it should also be about not disrupting the team on a winning streak and also playing the best goalie at the time. No doubt Andy will improve his stats a lot as the year progresses. He played real well the 2nd half 2 seasons ago and got us to the playoffs but that's not the point. Your best players play.

Stache doesn't have to keep repeating that Andy is the #1 goalie who is he trying to convince? That doesn't justify making the swap against Philly based on current performance. There is no way I would have switched Lehner until he lost a game. Now if he puts Lehner in against the Bruins and he loses they look like they are on an equal footing as both losers and the team can go into a real skid. If Lehner wins and Stache switches them again for the next game but Andy loses that game then watch the fur fly. The coach is almost forced to play Andy against the Bruins and hope he wins the game. MacLean opened a can of worms when he didn't have to. All he had to do was ride the hot hand which was easily justifiable without creating any controversy.

mattsens

Jun 22, 2011
Ottawa
I think there's a bit of reluctance when playing Lehner because they want to be able to keep his contract down come extension time this summer. If he becomes starter he may ask to be paid like one.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Good for Lehner, he is developing nicely. :handclap: Nice to have two very capable goalies on the team, remember when we had Auld as a backup & he couldn't win a game to save his life. Now we have a chance to win every game with two good goalies, I hope they keep both all year. Now if we can only get the rest of the team to step up.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Good for Lehner, he is developing nicely. :handclap: Nice to have two very capable goalies on the team, remember when we had Auld as a backup & he couldn't win a game to save his life. Now we have a chance to win every game with two good goalies, I hope they keep both all year. Now if we can only get the rest of the team to step up.

Hey, there was that period where Auld was leading the NHL in save percentage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad