Robin Lehner is the worst goalie in the world at shootouts

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He was fantastic all night and made about a dozen huge saves. Then comes the shootout...

Rinse and repeat.

Backstrom was like that for the Wild. There was a point where it was discussed replacing him for the shootout only.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
He has no saves in 5 shootouts.. :shakehead

Yes, our offense in shootouts is abysmal but having no saves in 5 shootouts? Really? That would be really bad for an AHL goalie playing in the NHL, and laughable for a starting goalie in the NHL.

yikes. didnt know it was that bad.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I agree but disagree against Florida tonight

Trocheck in with speed - perfect plan to shoot five hole
Barkov - dirty move that most goalies would fall for but make the save because the shooter can't score at that angle or hits the pad, not Barkov

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Statistically Biron, Mazanec, Raanta, and Justin Peters are worse

https://www.sportingcharts.com/stats/nhl/all-time/career-goalie-shootout-save-percentage/

But yeah Lehner is pretty bad. Have him in my hockey pool, game goes to a shootout and I'm like yep, that's a loss before it even starts

edit: That table looks massively outdated given the teams some of those guys are listed on, which is weird because there's a similar table on that site for this year.

Maybe he is the worst by now

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I think Lehner may just has no confidence in himself when it comes to the shootouts.

He also may just be overthinking things instead of using his natural instincts when it comes to shootouts.

Either way, someone needs to help him out and teach him how to handle shootouts.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I think Lehner may just has no confidence in himself when it comes to the shootouts.

He also may just be overthinking things instead of using his natural instincts when it comes to shootouts.

Either way, someone needs to help him out and teach him how to handle shootouts.

Confidence is a huge thing with Lehner. Or it used to be in Ottawa at least. He has nerves. He has a ton of talent and huge size and great reflexes. But so much of being a goalie is just nerves and not giving two craps. Just not thinking and reacting.

The mental game was always Lehner's weakness. And maybe he is able to get over it in games. In shootouts he is likely pysching himself out before each shooter even starts skating.

A lot of Sens fans think Lehner is going to be a star. I never saw that after his first couple of years. I was happy we traded him. I don't believe in him even with that great size and obviously huge natural skill.

But still if he can get out of his head and relax and just always have confidence he still could be pretty great. A sign of that is just starting to be average in shoot outs instead of being absolutely terrible.

I actually like Buffalo even though they are a big rival. I am not a Lehner fan, but I hope he does well. I think beating his shootout crapfest would be a sign he is turning a corner. I think he might not turn that corner but he is still really young... so maybe?

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I don't think I've seen Lehner in shootouts in years, so his extreme struggles with that kind of went by my entirely.

A little while ago, I would have thought John Gibson to be a strong contender for worst NHL goalie on breakaways. He's a great 1st shot goalie, but standing rather static at the top of the crease isn't much of a plan for penalty shots / breakaways. Any kind of deke, and he just lay down giving himself a minimal chance. Players with no book on him that went for the shot all the way didn't get too much, though. He was improved on these plays a bit, picks up a little bit of the attacker's momentum and gives himself much more of a shot lately. He's still not great at them, but despite him being awful at them early on, he was 4-1 for them career-wise some time ago. It can be a pretty random competition.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
LOLehner. He might as well stay on the bench and watch it.
Oilers used to put Morrison in for the shootouts(well at least once in favour of Conklin. ) maybe buffalo can do something similar. (Back in the awful 3 goalie days in edmonton)

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Lehner has a 0.00sv% in shootouts so far this year. Last year, .333. The year before that, .714.

This season Howard is at .833 (tied with Mrazek fwiw).
From 2012-13 to now, Lehner is indeed the only goalie worse in SOs than Howard among goalies with more than 30 attempts against them.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I remember when Anderson got injured and Ottawa had Lehner and Bishop splitting starts, we went to a fair number of shootouts. Lehner was really bad while Bishop seemed to just stand there looking big and the opposition would shoot wide trying to pick corners.

Not sure how Lehner is so bad in the shootout, but so much better in game. makes no sense to me.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Gordon Bombay did it against Iceland.

I just watched that movie because they added it to Netflix.. hadn't seen it since I was kid.. and OH MY the inaccuracies of that movie.

Also Stahl's triple deke was nothing.. and then he completely stops and winds up for a slap shot.. how was the "triple deke" in anyway effective and Bombay was like this kid's move is "Triple Deke, Glove Side." :laugh:

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
His stats would immediately go up if he played the Bruins. They like to go 10-12 rounds with Rask stopping all but one shot.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
I honestly think I can make at least 1 lucky save in 5 shootouts. How many times do you see shooters just flub a shot or mess up their move?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I honestly think I can make at least 1 lucky save in 5 shootouts. How many times do you see shooters just flub a shot or mess up their move?
I bet you couldn't. Unless you played some high level of goalie or the player flubbed really bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad