Injury Report: Robertson Undergoes Season Ending Shoulder Surgery | Hollowell out 12 Weeks

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Tough news for both. In Robertson's case I'd say his desire to compete will serve him well, I wouldn't rush to say it's over for him. Hollowell's skating is his calling card and anything to do with knees makes me shudder. Wishing them both a full and speedy recovery.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
If it will keep happening why would any Team give up anything for him?
Their medical team won't have the same level of knowledge or exposure as the leafs so you hope someone takes a flyer on his OHL scoring prowess and hope the injuries were bad luck

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Probably best to see if he can bounce back from it. His value would be at his absolute lowest right now.
Yup. Let him heal and then bring him back nextyear. Hope he plays well and increases his value then he can be moved for the right deal.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Their medical team won't have the same level of knowledge or exposure as the leafs so you hope someone takes a flyer on his OHL scoring prowess and hope the injuries were bad luck
I would think any team would look into it.
I agree though someone may take a flyer on him but I don’t think the return would be worth it for the Leafs after waiting this long with him.

Reactions: 1specter

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
That sucks for Robby.. another injury. Poor guy can’t catch some luck

Oh well, hopefully this is apart of a wiser decision that will help him stay healthier in the long run. Needs some more time off ice training

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I was kinda surprised to see he’s only 21, and has a later birthday so he won’t be 22 until the season starts next year.

No reason to trade him for peanuts right now. I couldn’t imagine us getting much for him, better off to just keep him and try again next year.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
I was kinda surprised to see he’s only 21, and has a later birthday so he won’t be 22 until the season starts next year.

No reason to trade him for peanuts right now. I couldn’t imagine us getting much for him, better off to just keep him and try again next year.
You're right, no reason to trade him - There's still some hope and he has no value.

Personally I'd say Andreas Johnsson is a good comparable from what I see if he gets stronger. Great shot, good skater, pesky, and rocks for brains.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't think Robertson has a tremendously bright future in Toronto at this point. He hasn't had the runway in the minors to match his body type to his play style or the time to build his body up at this age. But for the sake of asset protection I think you just leave him in the minors and forget him, make it his mission to remind you of who he is once healthy. But expectations need to be dialed back.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
If his value is as low as some are saying than you might as well hold on to him and give him a chance next year. No need to trade him for peanuts.

Reactions: kb

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I feel so bad for this kid. He just hasn’t been able to find any luck health wise lately.

Hopefully he takes this time to heal and get stronger. He’s still a kid and a lot of room for physical maturity growth.

Hoping for the best for him.

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
Robertson for us is like Timmins was for Arizona. Seems like our management group knows that it's a mistake to move on too quickly just because of injuries.

Hope Robertson heals up well and has a great shot next season.

Reactions: Tarmore and Buds17

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
There are plenty of guys that have come back from early career injuries and went on to have mostly healthy careers. There are also a bunch of guys who haven't.

I think it's pretty obvious you hold him and see if he's in the first category... he doesn't have a ton of value, but he can still easily be a top 6 forward.

If the odds are 50/50 (which is where I'm at), would you rather have a 50% chance of a top 6 player or a 2nd round pick. Seems obvious to me considering the hit rate of a 2nd round pick.

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Hollowell: 5'9" 170lbs
Robertson: 5'9" 183lbs

Maybe Dubas will adjust his analytics if he comes to the conclusion that some of the smaller guys he's drafted or acquired thru trade have a tougher time adjusting to the rigours of pro hockey without injury. Same with bigger guys who play physical but have a lot of mileage on them, like Muzzin.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto

Maybe Dubas will adjust his analytics if he comes to the conclusion that some of the smaller guys he's drafted or acquired thru trade have a tougher time adjusting to the rigours of pro hockey without injury. Same with bigger guys who play physical but have a lot of mileage on them, like Muzzin.
I'm not saying it's impossible for a guy Hollowell's size to succeed in the NHL, but his skillset would need to be 'blow your sox off/off the charts'. I just don't see it, especially when the rest of our blue line is fairly small compared to NHL standards.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Prospects of any size can get injured, so that would be a pretty weird to drastically change an otherwise successful approach at the draft. Most 4th round picks don't even make the NHL, so I don't really know why a knee injury would suddenly paint Hollowell as a cautionary tale

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Victor Mete: 5'9" 187lbs

Forgot about him. Another small D injured. That's 3 young 5'9" players injured as we speak. There are some good 5'9" players in the league that have good injury records but when you're 5'9" the odds of staying healthy in the NHL are not in your favour and drafting/trading you have to consider the odds/analytics. I'm sure the best GMs in other pro sports (NBA, NFL, etc.) do.

Last edited:

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
He needs to get stronger for sure and learn how to play against bigger stronger guys. If he learns how to do this he'll be an effective NHL player . If not he won't. Simple as that. He has a great motor but he has to learn , as a smaller player, how and when to get involved in certain types of plays. He has to learn to angle people off and separate them from the puck, not get involved with direct contact. Maybe pull up a bunch of Doug Gilmour tapes and see how it's done. He has the skills. Hopefully it will translate one day.

Reactions: Gilmour1996

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Doubly unlucky because it probably means we can't move Robertson as well
That may be the only good thing that comes from this. I am not nearly as down on Robertson as many. Kid is going to be a good player. But I will admit, his size and fearless determination may continue to lead to injuries down the road.

Reactions: Buds17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad