Prospect Info: Robert Thomas (20th overall in 2017)

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I can't wait for the World Junior tournament this year. Two of our top 5 prospects should see a pretty large role for Canada and this tournament could very well be used as an evaluation tool to pick a couple junior players for the Olympics. I'll be rooting for the US when we play Canada, but I have to admit that I wouldn't hate seeing Kyrou and Thomas carry team Canada to gold.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I’ve always thought he carries the puck similarly to Getzlaf and he passes like getzlaf too. His shot is weaker but he has a sneaky release that I think will get better as he gets bigger. He’s a lot more offensive and puck distributor than you guys are giving him credit for.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I’ve always thought he carries the puck similarly to Getzlaf and he passes like getzlaf too. His shot is weaker but he has a sneaky release that I think will get better as he gets bigger. He’s a lot more offensive and puck distributor than you guys are giving him credit for.
Say what now? Who's down playing RT?

Reactions: PiggySmalls

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I see a lot of this he’s a two way player defensive centerman but he’s a lot more of an offensive minded player at least in juniors. I don’t think he will be a backes type defensive player. I see him more as solid in his zone but mostly a playmaker.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I see a lot of this he’s a two way player defensive centerman but he’s a lot more of an offensive minded player at least in juniors. I don’t think he will be a backes type defensive player. I see him more as solid in his zone but mostly a playmaker.

Yeah 2-way as in his playing style is modeled after Patrice Bergeron. Who is no slouch in the O-Zone. He definitely is not a Backes type defender.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Robert Thomas is the next Sergei Federov.

There, now we can’t say he’s being underrated.

Thomas is the real deal, though. I don’t think he will be NHL ready next year (play away from the puck and moving at NHL speed), but he’s definitely our future in the top 6 as a center. I don’t see Thompson sticking there, and I definitely don’t see Kyrou being utilized as a center as a pro. Barbashev still seems to me like a good 3C. He could be our next Patrik Berglund (hype but never reaches it).

I think WJC will be a big milestone for a lot of our guys, and will really put them on the map. I think we will see a trade of one of them after the tournament, and it won’t be Thomas.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I would be surprised if he doesn't make the team next year. I had the same feeling about Fabbri after his draft +1 season, and I think Thomas is a more well rounded player at the same point in his development.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Thomas literally has it all for me. The 2 knocks against him was skating and his shot. Thomas said he's studying Matthew's release and shot. From what ive seen, that's all technique. As for his skating, we saw it first hand in camp and preseason. There wasn't any deficiecies. He's got speed and he's excellent on his edges. At 6'1" and being a RHS center, He's our crown jewel

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Glad to see everyone seems to be on the same page with Thomas. I've said it elsewhere I believe if he puts in 25 goals last year instead of 16, he doesn't come close to falling to us at 20. We got really lucky he had "one clear deficiency" last year, because otherwise he's just a complete center prospect and those don't usually fall past 10.

With Kyrou you question will his offensive game work at the NHL level and his commitment to defense, with Thompson you question if he figures out what his game "should" be to be a quality NHLer, and with Kostin we are still in kinda a "let's see how he plays once he adjusts to North American Ice" thing. I have just about no questions with Thomas other then "How soon can he get here."

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Even last night Sportsnet put out an article about how this might be Thomas' only chance at the WJC. Tim Taylor was quoted in the article saying.

“He needs to get a little bit stronger and a little bit heavier on his feet, but he has a real good chance of making our team next year,” Taylor said.

Blues prospect Robert Thomas might only get one shot at WJC team - Sportsnet.ca

Thanks for the link. Hadn’t seen that.

And I agree with the article, and Tim Taylor, that Thomas has an excellent shot of making the team next year.

A playoff team like the Blues won’t pencil a 19 yr old in as the 2nd line C going into camp but I think he’ll make the team. Can play either 3C or RW on any of the top 3 lines. He’s going to be a C in the NHL but he’s so smart and right handed (an area of need, at least today, might not be the case in Sept 2018) so I could see him playing a bit a both C and RW as he breaks into the league. And at some point in the season, either out of necessity due to injury to others or the progression of Thomas’ game, I could see him getting some time at 2C as well.

Last edited:

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
In case anyone missed it, Thomas was traded to the Hamilton Bulldogs in the OHL earlier today.

I'd imagine he will center the top line with Matt Strome and Will Bitten on his wing.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Doesn't this somewhat indicate London has a feeling he won't be in juniors next

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Doesn't this somewhat indicate London has a feeling he won't be in juniors next
Yeah, I'm sure London knows that Thomas has a strong chance of making the Blues roster. It's also why some of the picks involved in the trade were conditional on Thomas actually returning to Hamilton next season should he get cut in camp.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Here's an article proposing the Habs get Thomas or someone like him. When I first saw the article it seemed like the author would be set on a Patches for Thomas move. However, at the end of his article he says "Mine (opinion) is that a year and a half of Pacioretty, even as the prolific goal-scorer that he is, isn't worth as much as most people think." and "This is why I think the best way to approach a trade that would shape the franchise for years to come is to aim for young players and accept the risks that come with their development."

Regardless of the trade details and or wants/needs by the Habs I thought he did a pretty good job of breaking down some of the skill sets of Thomas (with video) albeit a small sample size.

Montreal Canadiens trade target: St. Louis Blues prospect Robert Thomas could become a core player

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
I used to hate the :rangers fans during the Shatty days...I now hate :habs fans...sooo tired of hearing about Patches to the :blues

EDIT:
I will admit that the :rangers fans were right about Shatty wanting to go home though. The :habs fans better not be right too

Last edited:

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Here's an article proposing the Habs get Thomas or someone like him. When I first saw the article it seemed like the author would be set on a Patches for Thomas move. However, at the end of his article he says "Mine (opinion) is that a year and a half of Pacioretty, even as the prolific goal-scorer that he is, isn't worth as much as most people think." and "This is why I think the best way to approach a trade that would shape the franchise for years to come is to aim for young players and accept the risks that come with their development."

Regardless of the trade details and or wants/needs by the Habs I thought he did a pretty good job of breaking down some of the skill sets of Thomas (with video) albeit a small sample size.

Montreal Canadiens trade target: St. Louis Blues prospect Robert Thomas could become a core player

In the comments section of that article most Habs fans are wanting Thomas ++.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
In the comments section of that article most Habs fans are wanting Thomas ++.

Lots of salt grains can be tossed around. Fans can hold the bags full of want but I think their expectations are going to fall far short if and when Patches is dealt.

To me there's no trade for Patches that makes sense for the Blues.

Reactions: BangarangxRufio

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad