Waived: Robert Hagg and Colton White

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Hagg only surprises me because of the "hype" (if you can call it that) around him in the offseason. It sounded like he was a 6/7 lock with how he was being portrayed but nothing about his play this pre-season has shown hes any better than any of the prospects. So i guess it comes down to philosophy on how to grow/mature your prospects.

Harrington going to SD makes sense. He and White never showed anything that would tell me they deserve spots over anyone else.

Giguere27

Feb 4, 2006
Bavaria
Aside from the obvious connection as a fellow countryman, I would hope we pick up Gawanke. Guy's a really solid bottom-six player who has more offensive upside than most of our bottom-six players. He could/should be a decent replacement of Lundestrom or Silfverberg.
As much as I would like too see a German playing for the Ducks again, there is no reason to claim Gawanke. He‘s an offensive defenseman an with our rookies pushing for roster spots, there is no room for Gawanke.

As for Hagg and White, I expect at least one of them as number-7-defender to start the season. Think the management hopes they can sneak both guys through waivers.

Reactions: Kalv

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Hagg only surprises me because of the "hype" (if you can call it that) around him in the offseason. It sounded like he was a 6/7 lock with how he was being portrayed but nothing about his play this pre-season has shown hes any better than any of the prospects. So i guess it comes down to philosophy on how to grow/mature your prospects.

Harrington going to SD makes sense. He and White never showed anything that would tell me they deserve spots over anyone else.
Our Gm must really like this kid we picked up from Ottawa on waivers

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
As much as I would like too see a German playing for the Ducks again, there is no reason to claim Gawanke. He‘s an offensive defenseman an with our rookies pushing for roster spots, there is no room for Gawanke.

As for Hagg and White, I expect at least one of them as number-7-defender to start the season. Think the management hopes they can sneak both guys through waivers.
Looks like we will have a ton of veteran defensemen call up options that are extremely unlikely to be stolen via waivers... Carrick, Hagg, White, Harrington and I still think Vaak will eventually be waived.

At least there will be a ton of competition on the blue line... those mentioned veterans along with prospects Zell, Minty, and Helleson will give us eight options. Maybe even Hinds if he can get some momentum, although he looks pretty low on the pecking order right now.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Our Gm must really like this kid we picked up from Ottawa on waivers

Its an interesting situation, because they grab the kid, I dont think they want to possibly lose him in the matter of a week by putting him on waivers. If we snagged him, have to imagine there are other teams that would have their eye on him too.

So you waive the older guys who you kind of know their game and hope they survive waivers, in order to protect the kid you think possibly has a higher upside, even if he hasnt proven himself yet. Thats where the trust in your scouting dept comes in.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Its an interesting situation, because they grab the kid, I dont think they want to possibly lose him in the matter of a week by putting him on waivers. If we snagged him, have to imagine there are other teams that would have their eye on him too.

So you waive the older guys who you kind of know their game and hope they survive waivers, in order to protect the kid you think possibly has a higher upside, even if he hasnt proven himself yet. Thats where the trust in your scouting dept comes in.
Great analysis

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

What hype?

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Aside from the obvious connection as a fellow countryman, I would hope we pick up Gawanke. Guy's a really solid bottom-six player who has more offensive upside than most of our bottom-six players. He could/should be a decent replacement of Lundestrom or Silfverberg.

But isn't he a defenseman?

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
But isn't he a defenseman?

Yeah, my bad. My mind immediately connected German + San José with Nico Sturm without really looking at the name. If it had been Sturm who was waived, we ought to be all over him. But Gawanke is most likely always going to be a journeyman defenseman in NA with no realistic chance of playing even 100 games in the NHL.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Yeah, my bad. My mind immediately connected German + San José with Nico Sturm without really looking at the name. If it had been Sturm who was waived, we ought to be all over him. But Gawanke is most likely always going to be a journeyman defenseman in NA with no realistic chance of playing even 100 games in the NHL.

It sucks that Gawanke hasn't been able to breakthrough even in San Jose, which probably has the worst defense in the league. Would like to see more Germans in the league. Szuber has been a great surprise though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad